It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Different generic brands of Zoloft?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-06-2008, 03:08 PM   #1
    shad0wsguy
    (male)

shad0wsguy HB User
    Different generic brands of Zoloft?

Hey guys..I've been suffering from anxiety and depression for six months now. It started off with panic attacks and I was able to control that with xanax but then I started having intrusive and suicidal thoughts. My doctor put me on zoloft it took a while to kick in, it has been working wonderfully for me. I'm much happier, I don't have panic attacks, I'm not constantly worrying, I don't have instrusive or suicidal thoughts, etc. And I felt better because I wasn't on xanax anymore(which isn't supposed to be used long term, and the idea of being addicted was scary in itself.)

However recently my pharmacy switched from one generic brand of zoloft to another. This is day 2 on the new brand and I feel very different. I feel withdrawn, unsocial, exhausted and tired all the time. My family keeps telling me I'm acting "different" and "weird" even in the brief periods I feel normal.

My question is this - Is this due to the new brand of zoloft? I believe it is but I'm not sure. And if it is, what do I do? Will my body adjust to this new brand and I'll feel fine again after time? And if not, then what? I can't stop taking zoloft because withdrawal symptoms can include suicidal thoughts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #2
    Tim 007
    (male)

Tim 007 HB User
    Re: Different generic brands of Zoloft?

I have had this exact same thing happen to me. I was originally on a generic Zoloft (however owned and made by the same company that makes Zoloft, so a namebrand generic), and had our insurance switch. I was placed on a new generic form of Zoloft, and I was fine the first day, but my original anxiety symptoms got real bad on day 2 and 3. I called the pharmacy,and they said that this was normal.
    Generic and Name Brand drugs are different, to some extent. The drug chemistry is, and has to be, EXACTLY the same. The way it works, the dosages, everything, is highly regulated. The difference is the fillers and colorings they use, which can have an affect on how quickly the pill is dissolved and absorbed by our bodies.
    For example...let's say I take my Zoloft every morning at 6AM, and my first generic form was absorbed in my bloodstream from 9-10AM...the second drug may be absorbed faster (8-9AM) or later like 12-1PM. This is the difference which can cause noticable side affects in people, since the body is getting the drug at a different time, and at different rates then it is used to.
    Even if your feeling side affects right now, don't be to worried. As for me I did go back to my old prescription, which was covered at another pharmacy even under new insurance, however I could have stuck with the new drug if I wanted to...but didn't want to miss any days from my full time co-op for college, so I chickened out. However, you should get used to the new generic in time. If a week goes by, and you aren't getting better, then it might be time to talk to your doctor...or perhaps call other pharmacies and see what generics of Zoloft they carry, and if it's covered by your plan.
    I wish you good luck, and that you are not alone.
    -Tim

Last edited by msmod; 02-07-2008 at 07:12 AM.

Closed Thread