It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Zoloft for GAD.. when does it kick in?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 AM   #31
    louisa13
    (female)

louisa13 HB User
    Re: Zoloft for GAD.. when does it kick in?

I tried Zoloft for about a month and I noticed my GAD was getting worse. Went to the docs and she put me on effexor. I am also on wellbutrin. I have been on it since I was on Paxil because of the tiredness.

I have been on the effexor combo for about 4 days now and I do feel alittle better. When I was on Zoloft for the month it felt like I couldn't relax. Sometimes I felt like I wanted to jump out of skin. Haven't experienced this symptom yet. Have you tried any other SSRI's for the GAD?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #32
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User

Yes I've had that. I've been feeling very restless since I began taking Zoloft. I keep telling my doctor and he just says it's my anxiety. My anxiety does cause this, but this is severe.

I've been on Zoloft for about 5 weeks now. Here's an update:

Dose increased to 100mg, been on this for the past 2 weeks.

Mood is up.

Stomach problems are gone

Sleep isn't so bad. Some days I can sleep, other days I can't. It's probably related to when I'm taking the med (night, but sometimes hours late). I take ativan when I can't sleep.

Headaches persist but a lot less severe. Most of the time I don't notice them.

Very restless and I think too much. Can't stop my brain from jumping from idea to idea. This is how I am without meds, but I normally obsess over thoughts and feel anxious. On Zoloft I just jump from idea to idea every other second, no real anxiety.

GAD isn't so bad. I notice that I am more talkative and less likely to block myself from saying what's on my mind to strangers (asking a question, giving complements, etc).

Cognition seems fine, except for memory. Short term memory doesn't seem as good as it should be, but this is probably related to me thinking too much. This became worse when I upped the dose, so hopefully it subsides within a week or two.

BRUXISM! I grind my teeth at night! I don't know when I started or for how long I do it, but my wife couldn't sleep one day and told me that I was clenching my teeth and grinding them so hard it was making a sound.

I also noticed I clench my teeth when I'm concentrating. Bruxism isn't that uncommon, and is something many people do on a regular basis.. I'm not sure if this is related to the Zoloft. Zoloft probably just made it worse. I'm looking into trying different sleep positions to help with this.

Also I noticed that it's related to dreams. I have very intense dreams when I sleep, very vivid, and I sleep deeply. Deep dreams are usually when I clench. But this isn't as bad as it sounds.

Everything is interesting and I can engage myself in something if I will to, I just wish I wasn't restless. The ativan is for sleep but I might take it with the zoloft.

Old 05-03-2008, 07:11 PM   #33
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User

I've been on Zoloft for ~10 weeks now.

I recently began taking it in the morning instead of night. I feel drowsy the whole day. Drowsy is probably the wrong word. I feel "pleasantly sedated." Like the first yawn or stretch of the day.

But 50-100mg of caffeine (1/2-1 cup of coffee) are enough to ward that off.

I've been having major headaches since I began taking it in the morning. I guess that's expected until I adjust to it (again). Other than
    headaches,
    drowsiness,
    restlessness (still, I doubt it's going to go away. I'll have to "train" myself to control it),
    and some short term memory problems, I feel ok.

The anxiety is gone, but I feel.. bored... I feel the anxiety gave me an 'edge' because I was always on alert. There's a link between the sensation of time going slow (10x slower!), my restlessness, and short term memory problem. I can't put my finger on it yet, but I feel they're connected somehow, and probably all result from lack of anxiety.

Note that I'm 24 and have had anxiety everyday since childhood, until 10 weeks ago. So your results might be different.

Wellbutrin was increased to 200mg twice a day. What a great drug. No side effects. Increased vigilance and concentration, and a slight decrease in fatigue (but this is canceled out by the zoloft).

(This was increased a long time after the Zoloft, so I'm sure most of the side effects I'm having are from Zoloft.)

Closed Thread