It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone had citalopram?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User
    Anyone had citalopram?

Hi,
    I'm new here, and have just begun taking citalopram. My situation is a little more complicated than most, so a brief outline. I had the anti-depressant Dosulepin (Prothiaden) for many years, for depression/anxiety/panic attacks, and led a very good and pretty normal life on that. However, when I reached the menopause, this seemed to stop working. Tried 2 types of hrt, the second lot, I believe, made me feel even worse! My doc told me to stop the hrt, but this happened at exactly the same time as I took my first dose of citalopram. I have only taken 2 pills, also not taken the hrt for 2 days, and I do already feel a bit better. I don't know, though, if it's stopping the hormones; surely the citalopram could not work THAT quickly?!! To complicate matters further, I am still on the dosulepin as well, but am reducing that so I can just be on the citalopram. I don't know if it's possible to combine 2 anti-depressants even - maybe it's just okay for the short term while you change over from one to the other.
    Now, I bet all that lot's confused you!!!!
    Would appreciate some feedback as to your experiences of citalopram. I am told that initially my anxiety could get worse, but this should settle after a couple of weeks, and then it is supposed to be a very good drug.
    Let me know
    Pudd

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
    RLSDE14
    (male)

RLSDE14 HB User
    Re: Anyone had citalopram?

My mother takes citalopram (Generic form of Celexa) and loves it. I took it for about 6 months and it really didn't decrease my anxiety. I ended up just stopped taking it. But my mother likes it. To each is own.

In reference to combining the 2 meds. Ask you doctor. Good luck.

Old 03-18-2008, 08:32 AM   #3
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

I just started also. I 'm just hoping for little side effects.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
    belle77
    (female)

belle77 HB User

hi i have just been taken of this drug today and put on to fluoxetine. citalopram was a living nightmare for me. my feelings were so suppressed and had no interest in anything i got to the point if my partner had of walked out on me i wouldnt of even been bothered. that just was nt me. even my 13 yr old son said i was glum and he thought he was loosing his mum. so many side effects and negs. wasnt for me. no two people are the same though what can work for one wont for another. i too was on dosulepin that just sent me to sleep not good with 4 kids. just been put on fluoxetine (prozac) today i just hope this is for me. good luck

Last edited by belle77; 03-18-2008 at 10:50 AM.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:31 AM   #5
    ash519
    (female)

ash519 HB User

I have been on citaopram about 30 days now and I like it. It is my first AD ever. I was so terrified taking it. I take it right before or after dinner. I do notice a difference and It is a good one! I just feel all around better. I am not zombie like at all. Main side effects I have noticed: I have a hard time getting out of bed in the morning, but I do get myself up and going. I yawn a lot more and when I am having a yawning fit my nose runs. That's it. Other than that I have no negatives and those negs arent even a big deal. So far so good. No weight gain as of yet. Fingers crossed, this could be great! Good luck!

Old 03-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

I wish I could take it, but after a wk on the med, I was so sick to my stomach, with increased anxiety, I had to let it go. Same thing with Paxil, both gave me panic attacks, and tore up my stomach. I know I should have given it more time, but I just can't take the side effects. Some people just may not be able to take AD'S, and I may be one of them.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:02 AM   #7
    mary63
    (female)

mary63 HB Usermary63 HB User

Hi there-i kept being recommended arapax ( is that paxil) when i was very ill- i felt more scard than ever even with a 1/4- the gp and psych kept saying stick at it- but i couldn't- then my sister suggested the AD that she takes and it was the answer- thank God for anti-depressants when they lift you fomr the very bottom of the worst hole... I have been back to the hole since and wonder if it is time to change meds but am scared that SRI's will be no good for me...Would like to try citalopram also- how on earth can you wean off one med and onto another. How do you keep functioning ( well semi-funtioning?) there never seems to be a right time...

Old 03-27-2008, 02:15 AM   #8
    leonie26
    (female)

leonie26 HB User

I was on citalopram for anxiety and i stopped taking it. I felt worse.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User

Hello all,
    Thanks for your replies.
    It would seem that Citralopram does the world of good for some people, but not for others. I suppose this is the same with all drugs, everyone's make up is different and it's a bit of a trial and error thing. It's just unfortunate though that anti-depressants take so long to kick in, so we have to wait quite some time to know with each type, then wean off and start the whole process over again with others if need be!
    With regards to coming off one ad and onto another, I don't know about other people's drugs, but when my doc changed me from my old tricylic ads (Dosulepin) which had worked for me for years, but stopped doing so when I hit the menopause (apparently this is quite common) and onto an SSRI, he let me carry on taking the old meds along with the new meds, but begin to reduce them to wean off, i.e. instead of taking 2 each night I was to do so the first night, then one the next, then 2, then one, and so on for about a week, then just one for 2 nights, then drop one, take one, drop one, etc until off them. This was very reassuring to me as I was really scared to have to wait until I was off them completely before taking the new ones.
    However, I don't know how the SSRI meds interact with one another, or other types of ads, so I think its something that needs to be discussed with your doctor.
    Hope this helps and good luck everyone.
    Pud
    x
    P.S. After 2 weeks on my new meds, I am beginning to have some really good days. Some blips here and there, but I know they can take quite some time to really get into your system

Old 04-16-2008, 12:50 PM   #10
    mary63
    (female)

mary63 HB Usermary63 HB User

hi there- aren't good days so nice??? glad you are having some!!

Closed Thread