It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• xanax and alcohol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-18-2008, 10:39 AM   #1
    Fear
    (male)

Fear HB User
    xanax and alcohol

Sorry guys but my anxiety is so bad that after 15 years i am goin onto xanax..nothing else has worked..for the past 5 years i have used alcohol at night upto 12units to give a sort of life...but i am now going for xanax...only small doses...ie half a .25tab if needed..now on that dose my doc says i can still drink if over 6 hrs from taking one..is that right?..Also he said to me try the alcohol one day upto 12units and xanax the next...this way you cant get addicted to either...is that correct sounds it plus it would cut my 70 odd units aweek to a safe level....does this sound like a plan or what?????

..looking optimistic as i have had zanax before and i felt great but worried about them killing me...but my doc says hand on heart no way...you could take a whole packet and not die...just dont add a bottle of whisky to the full packet..lol...also said they have no affect to the liver..which is another worry of mine due to alcohol.

Whats your thoughts?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2008, 05:55 AM   #2
    Markh76
    (male)

Markh76 HB User
    Re: xanax and alcohol

Xanax is pretty addicting stuff and my .25mg a day starting dose went up to sometimes 2 or 3 mg a day. I became dependent on xanax and would actually take one before starting drinking, to relax. I never had anything bad happen when taking xanax and drinking at the same time, I just became addicted to both. Xanax for me has been harder to quit than alcohol but it does a terrific job on anxiety-- for a while.

The day after drinking was usually a very anxious day for me and it was/is the day that I would most likely abuse xanax even more to get rid of the jitters, palpitations and other hangover symptoms. It brought on a viscous cycle of abuse of both items for me. Alcohol would bring on the anxiety and xanax would take it away.

I did find that cutting down my alcohol consumption reduced my anxiety and my need for taking more xanax.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:01 AM   #3
    Marywoo
    Veteran
    (female)

Marywoo HB User

Fear,who are you apoloizing to?just curious,Ive been taking xanx for years and still swear by it its definately better than alcohol alcohol is the worse and is bad for all of your organs.I will say xanx is addicting because like I said been taking for years and it has wicked withdrawls.Good luck,just a thought you could xanx with no alcohol that feels great without a hangover.good luck be safe. marywoo

Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #4
    Fear
    (male)

Fear HB User

Thanks for the replies...would it be fair to say if you used xanax every other day you couldnt become addicted?

Marywoo i know its frowned upon to have to rely on a substance,but i have tried everything to get shot but after 15 years of a wasted life i HAVE to get a bit of life back.

Last edited by Fear; 03-19-2008 at 07:32 AM.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:46 PM   #5
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hi Fear: I just wanted to jump in and put in my 2 cents worth.

I too, take Xanax for anxiety and know that it is very addictive. I take it only when I absolutely need it and I have done a lot of reading on it. The one thing I can't stress enough is that benzodiazapines and alcohol DO NOT MIX. It is one of the worst substances to detox from. If you look this up on the web, I'm sure you will see what I'm talking about.

I also don't understand why a doctor would tell a patient that they could take a "whole packet" of xanax and not die. Nor can I understand why they would advise a patient to consume that much alcohol and xanax on an every other day basis.

I wish you the best of luck and I would maybe recommend seeing another doctor for a second opinion.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:59 PM   #6
    Fear
    (male)

Fear HB User

Hi i think you have misunderstood he has said the alcohol should be taken one day then the xanax on the next day and like that...alcohol does work for me and i am closely monitered...in no way has he said take 12 units and xanax aswell!!

I think from the whole box thing after reading up on it he was trying to make me feel they cannot harm me for my own piece of mind because i am like that!

I cant see a problem with that routine...and would still like to know if you can get addicted to xanax on an every other day usage program?

Old 03-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
    Marywoo
    Veteran
    (female)

Marywoo HB User

Fear, you must have misunderstood my post Iam in NO wasy looking down on you,Ive also wasted alot of time hiding in the house but there is no judgement here, I take xanx on a dailey basis and also take lexapro,they have both been a God sent.If you are not living life because of anxiety by all means take the xanx,I think every thing is adicting so whats the difference.youd be smart to keep it to yourself,because so called friends will start asking for one here and there and that can be a problem,its nobodys buisness what meds you are on,just get a good doc. Good luck fear Marywoo

Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #8
    cmpgirl
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cmpgirl HB User

Hi Fear: I'm sorry if you feel I misunderstood. It's just that I have had anxiety for quite a while and have seen family physician and psych professionals alike. I guess I've never heard of alcohol being used as a treatment for anxiety. I've been told by each doc that I've seen, that alcohol consumption on a regular basis, usually adds to anxiety. So, I'm sorry if I insulted you, but I've just never heard of this method of treatment.

Also, about the Xanax, yes, your body will become physically used to or dependent on benzos, even if usage is every other day. It's not about the number of days you use it in a given week. It's more about continued usage over a period of time (eg. weeks, months, years, etc.) It's just that type of drug. There is a difference between physical dependence and addiction. With addiction, the user takes more than is prescribed to get a high or buzz. Either way, you can not ever stop cold turkey. You have to be weaned off the med if you choose to stop taking it.

I hope this explains better, what I was trying to say. Best of luck, cmpgirl

Old 03-19-2008, 03:16 PM   #9
    Fear
    (male)

Fear HB User

Hey no offence taken at all

Thanks for the input i have no daytime quality of life for thinking about it 18 years..5 years ago i found the only thing that helped was alcohol NIGHT ONLY never drink during the day,i have tried all therapy etc...my doc says i deserve some life and i am reluctant in taking xanax and am scared about the "new" me i am so used to feeling bad...but there are things a want to do i am getting old (38) i missed from 20 till now out and i dont want to reach 60 years and say i wish i'd taken xanax and maybe had a life.

I am from the UK and xanax is not given out widely..is a private med and is costly but after reading on the net and asking my doc we both agreed its the drug for me...i have one life...surely its best to live till 45 and seen life rather than die an old man seeing only inside ones house?

Last edited by Fear; 03-19-2008 at 03:17 PM.

Old 03-20-2008, 05:26 AM   #10
    Markh76
    (male)

Markh76 HB User

Fear, xanax isn't like that and won't change 'you' like an anti-depressant might, it'll take the edge off and help lessen the anxiety. Many compare it to alcohol in it's effects when taken at higher doses but at your dosage it's not like you'll feel drunk, it's much lighter. If your quality of life is real bad then why not give it a shot.

The biggest change that I noticed when starting xanax was that after a while on it and several dosage increases, I got pretty lethargic and gained about 20 lbs but other than that it definitely helps with anxiety.

I was very reluctant to start also fearing addiction but my anxiety of dropping dead each day was far worse than a 20 lb weight gain.

Last edited by Markh76; 03-20-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
    shabbyanne
    (female)

shabbyanne HB User

I too am on xanax on an as needed basis. I asked the doctor if I could have a beer now and then, and he told me that alcohol will quadruple the effects of the xanax and the xanax would quadruple the effects of the alcohol. So in other words, I should pick one or the other, not take them together. But one day last week, the weather was so gorgeous one evening, I just had an urge to have a beer and sit on my front porch swing and contemplate life. WEll, let me tell you, I could barely keep my eyes open soon after, and the next day as well. WON'T be doing that again. Also, don't know what a pack of xanax is as far as amount, but to many will just slow down your breathing and heart and could make them stop altogether. I would clarify that with my doctor I believe.

Last edited by msmod; 03-22-2008 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Removed disallowed topic. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread