It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• 12 Yrs On Seroquel, Now Withdrawn, Any Information ?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2008, 10:47 AM   #1
    crawfishsm
    (female)

crawfishsm HB User
    Unhappy 12 Yrs On Seroquel, Now Withdrawn, Any Information ?

I am new here and been on Seroquel since 1996. Because of my weight and diabetes, the doctors, acted like it was nothing to say you won't get it anymore ? I have not slept in days, it handled my Post Traumatic Disorder,
    and anxiety on a low dose...

I was given it to not to be addicited to benzo's..now I was sent home with no information besides..not sleeping and exhaustion so far...what may happen and if anybody knows or has been on it that long...and then taken off that ?

I would appreciate any information...I was handed a bottle of Topomax to stablize my "mood" and "shock".....and dismissed. I am in utter shock...is there any information..how I am to handle this....they gave no plan, no withdrawal plan, just flat out refused to write it....

I am scared. I have gone to a proper psychiatrist since 1992..and he is now in another state and not answering my calls...has anybody been on it even half this long...for anxiety and Post traumatic disorder...and just dummped basically. I cant even find information on the internet....and this was the safe drug to get off of 5 mg of Tranxene....makes me want to start drinking again..... since I had no anxiety with a glass or two of wine...

I am really stunned....and scared of tonight not sleeping again....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2008, 04:32 AM   #2
    Hyper Typer
    (female)

Hyper Typer HB User
    Re: 12 Yrs On Seroquel, Now Withdrawn, Any Information ?

I'm not sure if I can help you much, but I am prescribed Seroquel 100mg. per day for anxiety (can be very severe at times). I usually only take 50mg. when I am suffering badly because it sedates me so badly that I am out even the next day sometimes. It seems very helpful for anxiety in my experience. So, I can't imagine the doc taking you off the med so suddenly if you had been on it since 1996. I certainly can see why you would have trouble sleeping since being completely stopped all at once. I would at least call the doc's office and let them know how much trouble you're having getting sleep. Maybe they could suggest something that would help you get through this time of adjusting to being without it. They must have a reason for stopping you so quickly, but I know how difficult it is not to be able to sleep. My prayers are with you. Hope this helped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:24 AM   #3
    crawfishsm
    (female)

crawfishsm HB User

Seroquel has been for me a great drug for anxiety. Unfortunately, since it has been issued a FDA alert - for gaining weight and diabetes which I now have both, it seems my ship has been abandoned..

I always thought a lower dose did me just fine too..but you know sometimes you just follow directions...

I just didn't think my ship would sink so fast. I also have high anxiety problems and it does a great job for me...I am going to continute to find a dr..I only take 100mg...which I guess I will just try to go down to less..then I dont have anything...

I hate starting drugs and withdrawals..especially when it has stopped panic disorder, anxiety (high) and post traumatic disorder..THANKS FOR ANSWERING.....I was starting to think no one took it for ANXIETY..but me out there ? Thanks..... Have you gained weight on this drug ?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
    hopesprings2
    Inactive
    (female)

hopesprings2 HB User

see another doctor about it

Old 03-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

Try pericyazine (Neuleptil / Neulactil)

Old 03-31-2008, 08:55 PM   #6
    Hyper Typer
    (female)

Hyper Typer HB User

I definitely have gained weight, but I can't say it is from the Seroquel. I probably don't take it often enough for it to have caused my weight gain. Part of the reason for the added weight is because my bouts with the severe anxiety (which would last anywhere from 3 days to over a week) have improved. I still suffer on and off with it but not as severely right now. When the very severe bouts would occur my appetite would totally and completely go away. Actually, it was more like the thought of taking even a bite of food would add to the anxiety. I would go days without eating a single thing, only drinking something. I even at one time was told to drink "Boost" or one of those food substitute drinks just to keep something in me. I would become so weak from the anxiety tearing through my body and then not eating weakened me further. My family would try to get me to eat just something, but most times I could not. Now, I am eating more, hence the gained weight. Another thing I forgot to mention is that there is a good antidepressant (an older one) that also helps sleep a lot, and that is Trazodone. It's taken at night and really does help sleep without the risks of other sleep aids. I had no side effects with it. You might mention that to your doc also. Let me know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #7
    crawfishsm
    (female)

crawfishsm HB User

Thanks for the info. But you know I was 33 years w/o a weight problem and never used more than 100 mg...and the weight gain came...went to a 9 to a 10, 12, 14, 16 and now 12 yrs later a size 5X....and have diabetes, that does not run in my family.

Watch your weight gain, I had NO IDEA, where it was coming from, because like you with anxiety you dont want to eat...but now a 5X ? Maybe the reason for a doc to say, enough is enough. I just wish they would not have just dumped me and on an HMO, I dont have allot of choices to jump to another doctor..especially psychiatriyst who take Medicare....Beware if you gain more than 10 pounds in 6 mos..and on and on.......don't get to be where I am.....It still was the best drug I took for anxiety....

I am very tired now, and the anxiety of finding another doctor exhausted does not help. Thanks for supporting me....I sure need it ...I did not think a small amount would matter, but a 5x for a person who never had a weight problem in my life..and diabetes with no family history...maybe they are on to something ? Be careful, and thanks for thinking of me....now I just cry allot ....go figure ?

Old 04-01-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

Ask the doctor if you can try pericyazine in a dose of 5mg twice a day initialy..... it is a tranquiliser/anxiolytic related to Mellaril, and works quite well.

Doxepin (Sinequan/Deptran etc) can also help anxiety, and have a sedative effect.

Old 04-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
    Hyper Typer
    (female)

Hyper Typer HB User

Hey Crawfish -- It's been a few days now. I was wondering how you are doing. Have you been able to get more sleep since some time has passed? I really hope you are feeling better.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:27 PM   #10
    crawfishsm
    (female)

crawfishsm HB User

Crying all the time, go figure....barely cry my whole life...Thanks for writing you and Hyper Typer, you can feel very alone....when going from one drug to......?

I was very happy with Seroquel (small dose for anxiety)...since I antidepressants didnt work.....

I am looking up yours Aussie, and Hyper Text just watch ur weight..it took me 10 years to get to 303....

If you are not good on anti depressants, tri cyclics, buspar or klonopin, is anybody happy with theirs for moderate to above average anxeity.

I was anxiety free since 1990 and got my life back...I am sorry to have to stop something that works so well...has anyone else had to stop taking a drug that puts you to sleep so deep....and have to get off of it....

But I am sure there is someone out there that has something that works just as good...I will take any suggestions.......and to sleep even more appreciated....

Thanks Hyper Typer I was feeling all alone...until I heard your email...dink ? Thanks for caring....

Old 04-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #11
    niap
    (male)

niap HB User
    Wink Re: 12 Yrs On Seroquel, Now Withdrawn, Any Information ?

I was given seroquel for sleep troubles. Although the med. is used for phscizophrenia mostly. I discontinued it because I woke up very groggy! I take Klonopin as need for my severe anxiet\panic attacks. Ask your doctor for klonopin because it is a long lasting benzo, it compares to zanax but zanax is short acting!....I hope this helps and good luck,

niap

Old 04-08-2008, 05:56 AM   #12
    crawfishsm
    (female)

crawfishsm HB User
    Wink Re: 12 Yrs On Seroquel, Now Withdrawn, Any Information ?

Thanks for the your positive feedback on Klonopin, I making a list for my doctor....and I could really use to go sleep, and if it is for anxiety, that would be great too...!

Thank you for your suggestion...

Old 04-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #13
    niap
    (male)

niap HB User
    Thumbs up Re: 12 Yrs On Seroquel, Now Withdrawn, Any Information ?

anytime......I hope it works out for you! I have gone through so many meds to find the right combo that works! Also having a fantastic doctor helps too!

niap

Old 04-26-2008, 02:20 PM   #14
    crawfishsm
    (female)

crawfishsm HB User

Anybody else take Seroquel for some time (mine was for severe anxiety) and found something that could replace that kind of sleep ?...it is has beeen one month and half, maybe two...and my blood sugar is 240 in the morning just the stress of trying to get to sleep all night......my blood pressure it up...and the doctor is is holding the line, because of all the lawsuits...the drug was pefect for me...except for the weight gain and diabetes but its too late now..they just offered Abilify in the same category and then some sleeping pills...for a week,...

30 mg Dalmane is like taking candy, if I dont sleep by 4:00 am I just get very angry...my heart racing....I think they should have let it down little by little..
    I have had insurance all my life.....and then with diabetes and weight problems laid off....at 303lbs....I understand, but at 50 years old and taking it as a clinicial trial since 1996..the lawsuit information mental health system here I was taken off....

Here they can issue no Class 3 drugs...I was suggested like Benzo's....which I was doing fine on for 10 years , before I was put on the Seroquel trial....I dont want to sue my doctor for helping...you sue doctors,. then they cant help other people ? My doctor was in Tx great healthcare system, and as an adjuster got caught in Hurricane

ANYBODY WEAN OFF THIS STUFF....other than benzo's or ever took them this long without allot of weight gain and diabetes ?..I do not have scizo, or bipolar...it was just a trial for severe anxiety.....still awake.....and crying all the time....the last drug they offered me was Geodyne..and I called Pfizer and they compared it to Seroquel .....and said Geodyne caused insomnia and nervousness...so that cant be the drug for me....

I went through all the antidepressants, in 1990, tricyclics, and I was doing fine with 5 mg ritalin, 7.5 tranxene, and 30mg dalmane..got a new life and worked for 38 years...put on the Seroquel trial....that did fine too...except the weight gain and diabetes....., so I sound stupid saying worked huh ?

I wish I had never been put in this kind of sleep for PTSD...because now I cant fall asleep, anybody taken off.....and offered something that made them sleep not anti-depressant...

You get as good of healthcare as you can afford a doctor.....I was hoping people here....might have other suggestions...I am getting so despressed and tired.....I am scared to go get groceries...with my eyes so red from lack of sleep and crying...I will have to wear my sunglasses again.....

Look, I read if you already gained the weight....and have the diabetes....its not going at my age 50 ..to revert...sueing helps no one I think, for those can use it...I just think I was left on it too long..but it worked so why fix it...that is the bad thing about lawsuits sometimes that drug helps some people....and we get fewer and fewer doctors...wanting to prescribe drugs that could help.. Seroquel puts you in a DEEP SLEEP... anybody find something that remotely can get you to sleep.....I can doze and stare for hours...but I am so tired, live alone...no help...I barely grocery shop and have not left my apartment for 2 months....

I have taken most tricyclics...benozo's just gave me back my life after post traumatic stress disorder for 10 years...then the seroquel trial...because the insurance companies were griping about the benzo addiction in American....how can a doctor or patient win ? Ending in a lawsuit dosent get me back my life...

Thanks for any Seroquel feedback.....

Old 04-28-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
    Hyper Typer
    (female)

Hyper Typer HB User

I'm sorry you're still having so much trouble getting sleep and also being depressed. I posted a while back suggesting that you ask your dr about Trazodone (antidepressant that helps sleep). I just wondered if you had talked to your dr about it and if so what the response was. One thing I failed to mention about Trazodone is that though I was prescribed it for depression and found that it also induced good sleep, my cousin was prescribed Traz. to induce REM sleep. That's the good sleep that helps our bodies feel rested and refreshed. You probably know that. Anyway, wanted to let you know that. Also, when I was put on it, I would have to take it and go right to bed or I would fall asleep almost standing.

My anxiety disorder is much better at the moment, but depression is making my life miserable. I take Effexor XR 250mg and Lamictal 150mg (anti-seizure med). I believe the Lamictal has really helped the anxiety. I was in a head-on collision when I was 20 and had a head injury so the possibility of that causing some of the anxiety indicated the Lamictal. It's certainly helped. <BY THE WAY>, I'm 49 now -- severe anxiety began two years after accident. Just thought I would share this with you. I'm pulling for you AND praying for you. It WILL get better!!

Last edited by msmod; 04-29-2008 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room words with the proper words. Please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread