It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Seems I can't tolerate the SSRIs. Anyone else been like this?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User
    Seems I can't tolerate the SSRIs. Anyone else been like this?

Hi Everyone,
    Well, this morning I had to go back to my doc on an emergency appointment. I have been on my third type of SSRI for just over 2 weeks (Citralopram/Celexa- before have tried Lustral and Cipralex, all increased my anxiety). Although I felt like the Citralopram had lifted my depression and made me feel happier (though I did feel some of this was a bit manic-like, but tried to persevere with them) they had sent my anxiety through the roof, and I felt like by now these side effects should be wearing off.
    Anyway, I woke up this morning feeling like I was truly going mad, severe obsession .

Fortunately, I was aware through researching the SSRIs that some people can have these side effects, so dashed off to doc, taking my younger daughter, who's home from uni, with me. He has now put me back on my original tricylic, which worked for years (until I hit the menopause and my hormones went bonkers!) to see if they will now work again, also some tranx.

I wonder if anyone else has had any experiences like this? Very frustrating as I know many, many people have been helped by the SSRIs!!!!

Much love to all
    Pud
    x

Last edited by msmod; 04-01-2008 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Read the posting rules as to why part of your post was removed. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User
    Re: Seems I can't tolerate the SSRIs. Anyone else been like this?

Yes, Yes, Yes, I also cannot take them. I just got off Celexa, and had tried Paxil in the past. They made me very sick, extremely anxious with panic attacks. Everyone is different. You might want to try to decrease the dosage so your body can get use to the med and lessen the side effects.

Last edited by cvoor; 04-01-2008 at 08:48 AM.

Old 04-01-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

1. Start low, and go slow.... start with 10mg per day, then after a week, go to 20mg per day etc

2. Ask your doctor if you can give mirtazapine 9Remeron) a try, start with 15mg at night for a week, then 30mg at night

3. Doexpin (Sinequan, Deptran) might be worth a try

Old 04-01-2008, 05:03 PM   #4
    joebloggs2
    Veteran
    (male)

joebloggs2 HB Userjoebloggs2 HB User

Yes, start low and move up gradually. Break the pill in half or take only a quarter at a time.

They *do* increase your anxiety, and they *do* make you feel "not yourself", or very introverted, but these are side effects and fade away after at least 4 weeks. We hear "it might take 5-9 weeks for the effects to kick in" but rarely do any of us wait that long. But in my experience, things do get better after 3-4 weeks.

I had a bad experience with Remeron, but I only took it for about two weeks. First few times I took it, it literally knocked me out. I had the best/deepest sleep of my life, and VERY (VERY!) vivid and strange dreams. After that, I just felt hungry and tired all the time. You'll gain a massive amount of weight on it, but YMMV - ask your doc about it.

Old 04-02-2008, 05:43 AM   #5
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User

Thanks guys,
    Although I've stopped taking this med now, I am seeing a psychiatrist in 2 weeks, so am going to discuss this further with him. It's encouraging to see that it takes a long time because I was thinking after 2 weeks things should be settling, but perhaps it takes longer, as you all seem to comment. Anyway, will discuss all this further with the experts and maybe give SSRIs another go!!
    It's so great to have guys like you to communicate with - don't know what I would have done otherwise because no-one seems to know, not even the doc!
    Keep healing and keep posting.
    Lots of love,
    Pud
    x

Old 04-03-2008, 01:48 AM   #6
    mary63
    (female)

mary63 HB Usermary63 HB User

Hi there- yes i am like you- i felt terrible- worse terror than ever even taking a quarter of an arapax
    ( paxil?) the GP kept saying take a leap of faith- i couldn't do it- too scared and felt bad-
    ended up trying the same med my sister took which is a tricyclic- clomipramine- it was the answer- thank God-
    hope you find the right thing too-!! let us know

Old 04-04-2008, 07:09 AM   #7
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User

Thanks mary63,

I am back on my original anti-depressants, which are a tricyclic, until I see the psychiatrist in a couple of weeks. For some reason these stopped working for me in the menopause, but as some of my menopausal symptoms now seem to be settling as I've been going through it a couple of years, I'm hoping they will begin working again. My doc said these were very, very good ads, but were not prescribed so much as they are more expensive. TYPICAL!!

When I see the psychiatrist I will ask him about maybe changing to a different tricyclic if my original ones don't work anymore, but I'm VERY nervous about trying yet another SSRI!! I have a friend who's now going into her 6th week of taking Lexapro, and today she said she was still suffering extreme anxiety! Uh oh! Will be interesting to see if eventually it DOES work for her. Myself personally 2 weeks of the heightened anxiety was enough!!

It would appear that some of us just can't tolerate these meds, yet others say they've been marvellous on them. Guess it's just the luck of the draw.

Glad you got your problem sorted though!

Love, Pud xxx

Last edited by msmod; 04-04-2008 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 04-05-2008, 01:28 AM   #8
    mary63
    (female)

Hi there- lets just say that the meds worked at that time to get me out of an awful hole of terror.....i was trying to wean myself off them but things turned rather bad again last nov so still going...
    Interested to see what you settle on taking- its such a big decision- its not like we can just leave work and family and kids to go to a health spa for a month-
    i am also wondering if i should be changing meds after 5 years on this one but when is the right time??
    All the best

Old 04-07-2008, 07:00 AM   #9
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User
    Talking Re: Seems I can't tolerate the SSRIs. Anyone else been like this?

Hi Mary,

I have felt pretty good and "normal" (whatever that is?!!) for about a week now. Mind you, I have had tranquillizers to bring me down from the awful severe anxiety that the Citalopram brought on! Doc says to keep taking them for about 2 weeks, until I see the psychiatrist and what he has to say.

It's so difficult with these meds, and I can't really advise much further until I do see the psychiatrist. I will explain all to him, and post back what was said, though I do know I am not AT ALL keen to even try any SSRIs again!!Keep healing.
    Much love,
    Pud

Last edited by msmod; 04-07-2008 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 04-09-2008, 02:31 PM   #10
    wearestardust
    (male)

wearestardust HB User

ABSOLUTELY! SSRIs make me as I posted elsewhere, a hundred times worse. There isn't a substitute for me to the ones that actually work like alprazolam, diazepam and bromazepam, the last named especially useful if you suffer sudden panic attacks; it works so fast and gives the most wonderful calm sedation for a couple of hours after 18-36mg.
    When they tried me on citalopram I was 100% anxious 100% of the time and suffered sometimes two or three full panic attacks daily. Now I am back on an alprazolam script I haven't had but one fully-blown attack and my anxiety level is low, even though my dosage is tiny - 2.25mg/day. Ah, but I supplement it with the occasional diazepam and always carry bromazepam just in case.
    Only about 50% of patients are receptive to SSRIs. Why the medical establishment is trying so hard to displace benzodiazepine treatment with these horrible things is a mystery to me. BZDs have proved their worth to so many of us sufferers. I can see the day we may have to demonstrate against the continued deletion of BZDs from various national formularies. Disgraceful.
    We are Stardust

Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 PM   #11
    wearestardust
    (male)

wearestardust HB User

I meant to say that all these brand-names are confusing me; if you were to use the actual name of the drug more often then I'd have a far better idea of what you were all talking about.
    Mary, when I suffered from depression several years ago (NOT anxiety - I was still being prescribed 20mg diazepam q.i.d. for that) I found that clomipramine was the thing that worked. Unlike SSRIs, tricyclics don't give you that dreadful constant anxiety, and in ten days or so I found the cloud I was living under lifted magically. The course was for six months, and I can say truthfully that I have not suffered a true depression since.
    The statistics are there; SSRIs work in remarkably few people, and in as far as anxiety is concerned, make more people worse than they help.
    WAStardust

Old 04-10-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User

Hiya,
    Just to say that my doctor told me that the SSRIs are prescribed more often than a good tricyclic (like the Dosulepin I'm now on) is because they are CHEAPER!! Well, that's just great, isn't it? Why worry if half of our patients prescribed them actually get worse!!!!
    Of course there are a lot of people who have benefited greatly from the SSRIs (even if they've had to try more than one), so can't fully condemm them, but I do wonder. A lady at our church, who had severe post natal depression, said that when she had Prozac she actually developed anxiety, which she had never had before in her life! Yet Citalopram (which I was last on) did the trick for her. Another lady, who's now been on Lexapro for over 6 weeks told me she was STILL suffering from bad anxiety.
    I don't know - I just don't trust them. I do know that the morning I woke up, 2 weeks after starting Citalopram, I calmly thought "time to die, I will just get in the bath and slit my wrists". FORTUNATELY, I recognised that this was not right (maybe some people wouldn't have!!) so went straight to the doc, taking my youngest daughter, home from uni, with me.
    He told me to get off them right away, and had to prescribe tranquillizers for a while to bring me down again.
    Something here quite funny (ironic?) on that day when I rang for an appointment the receptionist said "we only have emergency appointments left. Is it an emergency?" I told her that because of the side effects of the tablets I'm on I felt I would commit sucicide this morning!!
    Now, at least I have it on my notes at the doctor's not to prescribe me any more SSRIs (tried 3, and they all made me worse!!).
    Keep healing.
    Pud
    xxx

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wearestardust View Post
    ABSOLUTELY! SSRIs make me as I posted elsewhere, a hundred times worse. There isn't a substitute for me to the ones that actually work like alprazolam, diazepam and bromazepam, the last named especially useful if you suffer sudden panic attacks; it works so fast and gives the most wonderful calm sedation for a couple of hours after 18-36mg.
    When they tried me on citalopram I was 100% anxious 100% of the time and suffered sometimes two or three full panic attacks daily. Now I am back on an alprazolam script I haven't had but one fully-blown attack and my anxiety level is low, even though my dosage is tiny - 2.25mg/day. Ah, but I supplement it with the occasional diazepam and always carry bromazepam just in case.
    Only about 50% of patients are receptive to SSRIs. Why the medical establishment is trying so hard to displace benzodiazepine treatment with these horrible things is a mystery to me. BZDs have proved their worth to so many of us sufferers. I can see the day we may have to demonstrate against the continued deletion of BZDs from various national formularies. Disgraceful.
    We are Stardust

Old 04-13-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
    mary63
    (female)

Hi there- it is so scary that a drug can bring on feelings of suicide....
    Interested to see how your psych visit goes. Several years ago i paid hundreds to see a psychiatrist and he didn't give any helpful advice at all re meds..as i mentioned before- it was my sister that put me onto the right thing! all the psych told me was that i was "a control freak"- which is kinda funny. I feel like you are really quite alone when it comes to taking meds and that only you can decide if its right or not- <BECAUSE> not even psychiatrists have a clue how its going to affect you!

Last edited by msmod; 04-13-2008 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room word with the proper word. Please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 04-13-2008, 09:51 PM   #14
    Twig
    (male)

Twig HB User

I feel the need to chime in here on this one. I was on Ativan (BZD) for 3 or so years with no problems at all, not hardly an anxiety attack ever. Then I read that they were addicting and tried getting off of them, because I didn't want to become "that person". Went to a detox center, it worked, I was off of them for 5 months I think. Then the anxiety started kicking back up, there was no triggers, life is better than it ever has for me. I have tried a few SSRI's in the past with no luck. The dr tried Paxil this time and I gave it as long as I could, but things were just plain worse. So now I'm back to taking the Ativan once a day, which is usually in the late afternoon. Everything is back to normal and not one flare up with the anxiety....

Last edited by msmod; 04-14-2008 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Note edit to your post. Always start your own new thread to ask your questions.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:47 AM   #15
    pud
    (female)

pud HB User

Hi all,
    When you talk about the benzo-watsits (sorry, don't remember spelling!), aren't they all in the class of tranquilisers? I think they are not prescribed often because they have a medical history of being highly addictive, which in itself would not be so bad, but I've heard and read that they would eventually bring on the very symptoms they were first prescribed to relieve, whereas anti-depressants are not addictive (well, maybe psychologically so).

I fully agree about the SSRIs being quite a dangerous drug for a lot of people, and with regard to tranquillizers, the day I came off the citalopram my doc prescribed some Trifluoperazine (tranx - my little "blue pills" to stop me being blue!) to help bring me "down" again from the increased anxiety citralopram had caused. Apparently these drugs are also good for depression caused by anxiety (not the other way round!). I was also told to stay on the tricyclic ad as well.

Anyway, from day one of taking these, I felt like a different person. I felt calm and relaxed, and the joy and fun and interest in life began to return. After a week, and ever since, I have felt pretty "normal" (whatever that is!). I am seeing a psychiatrist for the first time tomorrow, but I think I'm going to be told to stop the tranx for the above reasons, and I have to say I'm scared to death to stop them. But MAYBE he'll say okay to keep taking. Anyway, I have started to cut them down to one a day now instead of two, to see what happens.

As I'm still feeling pretty good at the mo, it will be interesting to see what the psychiatrist says, not sure what he will advise me to do. I also wonder if the high strength evening primrose oil and soy milk I drink each day has begun to help (this not for the guys among us!!) as my original ads stopped working for me when I got all the horrible menopause symptoms and my depression and anxiety came back with a vengeance also!!!! I read somewhere that Chinese and Japanese women have hardly any menopause symptoms as they have a diet high in soy.

Just another footnote, with regard to drugs/medical treatment, etc. Over here in the good old UK, though we moan about it, at least all our treatment is free on the NHS. We only have to pay for prescribed drugs, which are 6-odd a go (about 3 dollars??) per prescription.

Just as well I'm not in the states with all this business - I'd be bankrupt!!

Any comments to this post welcome, and I'll let you all know how my psychiatric appointment goes tomorrow.

Much love,
    Pud
    xxx

Closed Thread