It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• HELP!!! Severe anxiety about presentation tomorrow!!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
    foxysoxy804
    (female)

foxysoxy804 HB User
    HELP!!! Severe anxiety about presentation tomorrow!!

Hi. I'm Nikki. I'm going to sum up my story in a few sentence. I suffer from depression/anxiety, possibly bipolar disorder (no formal diagnosis yet). I take 2.5 mg of Zyprexa, (the lowest dosage) mood stabilizer for bipolar/schizophrenia. Tomorrow my English teacher is making me get up in front of the entire class and read a poem aloud, with emotion, and making sure to make eye contact with the entire room (left, right, and straight = a lot of head moving).

Now I'm freaking out because I have all of the symptoms of social anxiety disorder (no formal diagnosis though) and getting up in front of everyone, being watched/judged, having to look at people in the eye is absolutely HORRIFIC to me! I need to calm calm calm down because I know when i get up there I will be shaking and my heart will be racing, Ill choke on my words, A NIGHTMARE basically.

So what do I do???? Should I increase my dosage tonight to get some extra relief? Would it do anything if I took few Zolofts? Please help me. Should I took tomy counselor about how uncomfortable this makes me feel?? PLEASE HELP.

Last edited by msmod; 04-09-2008 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Removed text message, chat room language. Please read the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2008, 06:05 PM   #2
    Happy Days
    (female)

Happy Days HB User
    Re: HELP!!! Severe anxiety about presentation tomorrow!!

I am not familiar with your meds so I don't know if adding more may be a good idea. Be sure not to drink coffee or any other type of caffeinated drinks. Also stay away from sugars or anything that may cause you to become more nervous or hyper. Look at your audience noses, it will look like you are looking them in the eye and really not. Be sure to breath, usually the first few minutes are the worse and just the thought of presenting raises the anxiety. Believe me, I know that fear and suffered with social anxiety growing up. I hated to give presentations or even speak out, even once I entered the work force.

If your anxiety is so bad that you can't function, seek medical treatment. I am sure there are natural products you can take but I have been on Ativan and now Klonopin for my anxiety and panic attacks. Once I started taking the Ativan, I noticed a big difference and am able to speak up and give presentations. A certain amount of anxiety is normal but when it is so bad that you can barely talk and you feel like you want to pass out, there is help.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:11 PM   #3
    foxysoxy804
    (female)

foxysoxy804 HB User

Thank you for your advice! I really appreciate it. At my next appointment with my pdoc I will probably be switching meds so I will be sure to bring the anxiety issue into the picture.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
    KATCSR
    (female)

KATCSR HB User

I don't know much about your meds so I can't say what to adjust.. But I do feel for you.. It's tough to talk in front of people...I don't care for it..
    Either look at their noses or the tops of their heads.. Take a deep breath before you begin and remember that everyone will be feeling anxiety too! I hope it goes well...

Old 04-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #5
    jocotter
    (female)

jocotter HB User

I feel for you!! I am the same way about the fear of public speaking and the last week or so, I've had severe anxiety. I've had to talk on TV and in front of groups several times because of an event at work and now I can't get over feeling horrible.

I find that the dread of it is worse that during it. I try to pick out one or two nice people and sort of look back and forth to them while I talk and that helps. Good luck!!

Old 04-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #6
    foxysoxy804
    (female)

foxysoxy804 HB User

Thanks for the advice!! I was very nervous lol. I doubled my dosage last night and I actually think that I should have 5 mg every day! I felt much more confident just talking to people normally and my concentration was great. I will call my pdoc to see if she approves.

Anyways, I was very nervous as I said before but I definitely felt more calm with the extra pill. The criticism I got was to be louder and enunciate more. No critiques about being nervous! People complimented me on my emotion and eye contact! So I think I did a pretty good job, but Iwas kind ofhaving an internal freak out while speaking lol.

Thanks for all your help again!

Old 04-10-2008, 04:18 PM   #7
    Happy Days
    (female)

Happy Days HB User

Glad that you got through your presentation. Definitely speak with your pdoc. I know there are people out there who say everyone gets nervous about public speaking but you can definitely tell when your anxiety level is so high that you are not able to perform.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:26 PM   #8
    foxysoxy804
    (female)

foxysoxy804 HB User

Thank you! I have to present agan tomorrow: read 3 (long) jokes to the entire class! I'm not so nervous because it's more like talking to the class, not reading poetry with emotion and such. Although I dont feel like getting up in front of anyone again...Next week I have to present an informative speech, and I'm doing mood disorders (depression and bipolar disorder). My teacher think it will be interesting as does my friend. Ofcourse I wont be mentioning that I suffer from it, but it will be a great lesson for my peers.

I HOPE I DO WELL AGAIN TOMORROW! AND NEXT WEEK! And after next week Ill have to prepare a persuasive speech. Both speeches are to be 3-4 minutes.

Oh man, how I hate public speaking.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #9
    Happy Days
    (female)

Happy Days HB User

I am sure you will do fine. A lot of time anxiety builds up from fear of the unknown. Just hearing you talk about telling the jokes tomorrow, you sound calmer than you did before. You did great today. One way to get over fear is to face it. The more you give a speech or just talk to the class, the more you probably will relax because you are dealing with the fear and it will begin to subside. Your class mates are people that you know and sometimes others don't even recognize the nervousness as much as we do.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:31 PM   #10
    foxysoxy804
    (female)

foxysoxy804 HB User

Yes, the main reason why we do these poem day and joke day is for the students to get accustomed to being in front of the class. The more we do it, the less nervous we'll be says my teacher. It just sucks lol. I only hope that it will get better, and my nerves will subside when I talk about something I know a lot about instead of something that I'm not good at (poetry.)

One of the ways I calmed myself dwn with was telling myself that everyone is gonna be nervous. I could definitely sense nervousness in almost everyone's performances, which makes me feel better. I dont judge people at all for being nervous, cause I know I relate, but what I fear is being nervous and them judging ME.

I'm just gonna do this and then have the weekend be worry free.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
    foxysoxy804
    (female)

foxysoxy804 HB User

Update: Today I read my jokes. I was very nervous again, I think more nervous than before. But my teacher told me the only thing I need is to be louder. He told me I looked comfortable (I was like THANK GOD because I could hear my voice shaking and stuff), good eye contact, knew my material well. So I think I will be OK next week when I do my presentation on mood disorders.

Old 04-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #12
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

I have been reading this thread for a bit and I have to tell you that I ran into the same situation as you a year ago.

I hate public speaking I really freak out over it.

I had to give a presentation on Anxiety in the work place - and I ended up telling the entire company I work for that I was sufferer of anxiety and made some jokes about it during my presentation. this was not planned but for some reason it just came out. Well, what was to be a 20 minute presentation turned into an hour and half filled with questions from all my co-workers. It was so funny that they were actually asking me for advice and such.

It turned out to be a great experiance for me. It was really strange though to learn how many people suffer from the same thing as me. I thought I was the only one.

You will do great with your presentation. And the fact that you are getting so much practice!

Closed Thread