It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Need advice-Paxil&wellbutrin or Lexapro?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
    wangela67
    (female)

wangela67 HB User
    Need advice-Paxil&wellbutrin or Lexapro?

I've got a lot of good advice on this board so I hope you all can can offer some more good advice. I'm currently on Paxil CR (37.5). This drug has been wonderful for me. I could not ask for a better drug to relieve the symptoms I was having - anxiety attacks and depression. Unfortunately, I started off at 12.5 and every 2-3 years I keep having to up my dose. So I know it has pooped out for me. Also, paxil has caused a 50 lb weight gain. I've never been this heavy, however, I am happy. There was a time I was 50 lbs lighter and I was not happy so I'd rather be fat and happy than thin and miserable.

Also, I've noticed since I've upped to 37.5 that while I'm at work (sitting in front of a computer) that I get extremely sleepy. I was not like this before I upped my dose. What I mean by extremely sleepy is I close my eyes and I can feel myself going into a sleep state which is weird for me because I've never done this before at work.

My dilemma, my body image is really starting to bother me and I have been working out and trying to eat right and the scales are not moving. I would like to reduce the Paxil and add wellbutrin or just switch to Lexapro. I've read that Lexapro is more weight neutral than Paxil. Also, I've hear some success stories on this board about incorporating wellbutrin with an SSRI. On the 25 mg of Paxil my depression came back slowly and that is why I upped the dose.

I know this is long but I wanted to give everyone who reads this a little history. If you were me would you add Wellbutrin with the Paxil? or switch to Lexapro?

Thanks for your response and advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
    MYSISSYGIRLS
    Veteran
    (female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User
    Re: Need advice-Paxil&wellbutrin or Lexapro?

Hi,
    I myself have not been on wellbutrin or lexapro, just starting paxil. Not sure if this will be of any help but my sister was on lexapro and also got sleepy, she didnt gain the weight like i orignially did on my first round of paxil. she is now on wellbutrin by itself and she takes in in the morning and she says it gives her more energy to get through the day. everyone is different and i hope you get what works best for you.
    Also thanks so much for your post on my thread, i am having rough time of it right now starting paxil again and really appreciate it.
    Tami

Old 04-16-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
    wangela67
    (female)

wangela67 HB User
    Re: Need advice-Paxil&wellbutrin or Lexapro?

Tami,
    Thanks for your advice. I'm sorry you are having a rough time. Just realize that this rough time will not be forever. I've been right where you are so I know what you are going through. For me, the paxil made me feel normal again. Before paxil I would have severe anxiety attacks. I could not drive on the interstate, nor ride an elevator. Now, I don't have any problems with any of those situations. Paxil did not cause the sleep situation at lower dosages, just the 37.5. I may be on too high a dosage, however, the 37.5 is helping with depression more than the 25 mg. I hope you find the right med for you. In the meantime, take the paxil at night and it will help you sleep. During the day try and keep your thoughts positive and try to get 30 minutes of cardio exercise, eliminate caffeine, and try to take a multivitamin. I have an anxiety book that says the B vitamins are good so try to take a B complex vitamin supplement along with Omega 3 supplement. Also, try to eat right during the day.

I hope you feel better soon. The paxil will slowly build up in your system and you will feel a difference in a month. Unfortunately, the anxiety is not quick to disappear. I remember being really anxious at first and thinking this med is not going to work, however, with the advice of others I continued to take it and I noticed I would have a good day, and bad day, and then the good days starting getting longer, and the bad days decreased, and eventually I felt like my old self again.

Best wishes! I'm here if you need someone to talk to.

Closed Thread