It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Xanax experiences?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-27-2008, 05:11 PM   #1
    Alicia81
    (female)

Alicia81 HB User
    Xanax experiences?

I've been on .25mg's if Xanax (Alprazolam) for about two years now. I must say that it has been a life saver and has significantly decreased the amount of panic attacks I've had. For the past week or two my anxiety seems to be worsening. I've had a really tough week and have had two full blown panic attacks. It always seems to happen about 1/2-1 hour before I can take my next dose of Xanax that my anxiety level starts to rise. An RN recommended that I stop using it because I might be getting what is called a "rebound effect." Has anyone experienced this? Is it that I'm getting used to the dosage and it's not helping? Advice or shared similar stories would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by msmod; 04-28-2008 at 07:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #2
    Alicia81
    (female)

Alicia81 HB User
    Re: Xanax experiences?

And could someone explain to me exactly what a rebound effect is and what it might feel like for someone with anxiety issues who has been on Xanax. Thank you so much! I talk to my mom about this stuff and she helps me a lot but sometimes I feel like I'm being an overreacter and driving her nuts even though I know she doesn't think that.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User

I don't know for sure but I think a rebound effect is when the Xanax wears off and the anxiety comes back worse than ever...

I think Xanax made me a big hyper and aggressive when I was coming off it, I got irritable about things that wouldn't normally make me irritable. I don't know if this is part of the rebound effect.

I know all about driving your family mad - have been driving mine mad for longer than I care to remember.... very hard to understand panic attacks if you've never actually had one (not that I'd wish them on anyone)

have you tried CBT - cognitive behavioural therapy? Xanax is a good short term helper but not a good long term solution for panic disorder - mind you I always carry one in my bag, just in case - lol.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #4
    Delia79
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Delia79 HB User

My husband has been on Xanax for over 10 years for panic disorder. He has the same problems that you do. Not every day, but when something stressful happens or he's had a bad week, it's like his meds get out of whack and don't work like they normally would. His psych has given him a few extra pills a month for situations like this, but I wouldn't recommend taking more if you don't have to. He has struggled for years going up in dosage and then stuggling to get back down again. He even took a year off and stopped taking the meds. He was fine for that year....as long as he stayed home. Needless to say Xanax has been a life saver for him but he wishes he would've never started taking it because it is horribly addictive. I have to agree with the above poster....it's good short term but I wouldn't recommend it for life time treatment. That is just my opinion after seeing what he has dealt with all of this time.

Good luck to you!!!

Last edited by Delia79; 04-28-2008 at 05:53 AM.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:23 PM   #5
    Alicia81
    (female)

Alicia81 HB User

Thanks to those who replied. Sometimes I just need to know that others are going through similar experiences and that alone makes me feel better. I'm 26 years old right now and I just pray that I grow out of this like my mom and grandma did. Thanks again.

Old 04-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #6
    georgi
    (female)

georgi HB User

Xanax is a great drug for anxiety and panic. I took it for two years. I was addicted, but the benefits totaly outweigh any risk of addiction. Good Luck!
    georgi

Last edited by georgi; 04-28-2008 at 05:02 PM.

Closed Thread