It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Severe and Troubling Heart Issues

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #1
    elnino
    (male)

elnino HB User
    Severe and Troubling Heart Issues

I have a pretty lengthy history of periodic anxiety and, generally, I take Valium as needed in order to alleviate the symptoms. Recently, I had two incidents that were more severe than usual. I am used to dealing with anxiety and panic attacks on a pretty regular basis and so I know the symptoms and how to deal with those problems.

However, last weekend, I had a couple of drinks before I went to sleep, woke up the next morning and did not have breakfast and, instead, had a number of cups of coffee. Then, I went out and played tennis. While I was playing tennis, I felt as though I was going to pass out and had a sensation in my left arm as though my nerves were out of control. It was not numbness, but my left arm seemed to be acting on its own accord. I became very scared by the series of events and requested that other people contact 911 for me. The ambulance arrived and performed an EKG. The EKG was normal, but the paramedic indicated that I had a somewhat elevated heart rate that would be consistent with playing tennis.

Last night, I was sleeping and woke up in the middle of the night very abruptly. I have had this type of symptom before where I wake up very suddenly and it feels as though my heart has stopped. I sit up in bed, immediately, and usually get up to walk around. After about five minutes, my heart rate appears to stabilize. As indicated, this is extremely scary and literally feels as though I am going to die. I have dealt with this in the past, but last night seemed to be more severe.

After the tennis incident over last weekend, I went to the doctor the other day and she indicated that she was comfortable with the EKG that was taken close in time to the heart symptoms that were taking place on the tennis court. Previously, about two years ago, I underwent a nuclear stress test that was found to be normal. In addition, I believe I also had an echocardiogram, which was also found to be normal.

I believe that the incident involving tennis was a result of too much caffeine and not much solid food. I described the incident to my doctor and she felt the same way. I am comfortable with this analysis.

I have also discussed with her the issue of waking up suddenly in the middle of the night and, after that discussion, I had the nuclear stress test an echocardiogram about two years ago. All indicators point to my heart as being in fine health, but I am extremely scared about waking up in the middle of the night with the sensation of my heart had stopped. I have seen other posters make comments about similar experiences that they have had, but would like to hear of other people's experiences with respect to waking up in the middle of the night with similar symptoms.

Thanks again for any input you might be able to provide.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
    Re: Severe and Troubling Heart Issues

Do you drink caffeine? as in coffee, and coke etc?

IF so give it up , i did and its made a lot of difference.

Closed Thread