It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Needed: Miracle Drug for Anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-16-2008, 09:56 AM   #1
    Sonic Max
    (male)

Sonic Max HB User
    Needed: Miracle Drug for Anxiety

OK...

Not sure if anyone recalls...last winter I came down <WITH> a real bad case of Sciatica...the pain was astronomically bad. I went on Oxycodone & physical therapy to fix me up...& by the time the pain went away (probably from my religiously practicing the physical therapy exercises)...I had developed a dependency to the Oxycodone. I was then placed on Subutex...to wean me off the Oxy...which worked wonderfully well. But now that the Subutex is out of my system & I'm back to normal...I'm not so normal.

I seem to be suffering from anxiety, really bad...mixed <WITH> depression, I guess. I've never been more nervous in my life...having anxiety attacks on a daily basis...at the same time I have this overall, general feeling that I will never achieve happiness again.

So my question is...someone told me about a new classification of anxiety/depression wonder drugs...that calm the patient down <WITH> narcotic-like effect at the same time as they produce a feeling of well-being & euphoria.

Is that what Xanax is?

Or...are there new medications on the market that replace Zanex?

[How about: Ativan, Buspar, Celexa, Prozac & Zoloft]?

When I was on the Subutex...the effect lasted for a very long period of time...sometimes as much as 24 hours plus...& I felt the best I ever have in my life. I was told that the new anxiety medications produce a similar feeling to Subutex.

In need of some advice in this area...thanks,

SM

Last edited by msmod; 05-16-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Please always use whole words in your posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User
    Re: Needed: Miracle Drug for Anxiety

If you have a history of dependency, Xanax might not be a good forst choice, as you might end up back at square one.

I would go for an antidepressant to give a baseline anti anxiety and antidepresant effect, and Hydroxyzine, a non habit forming tranquilizer, to give extra anxiety relief when needed.

It might not work, but would make a more sensible starting point than Xanax etc.

Also, therapy is just as important as pills.... both together give better results than either alone.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:20 PM   #3
    Luvmydog
    (female)

Luvmydog HB User

Hey Sonic Max.......IF there IS a new classification of an anti-anxiety drug, please talk to that person who told you there is........and find out exactly what it is............I am wondering if they were just referring, in a general way, to the SSRI's.......which altho for depression also some are said to work for anxiety. I, personally, have found nothing better than the benzo class of drugs for anxiety as I have PANIC ATTACKS and IF there is something new on the horizon for that I would be extremely grateful to know about it!!!!!

Old 05-18-2008, 05:57 PM   #4
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

Another one to consider is an oldy called doxepin - controled trials show it is better than chlordiazepoxide for anxiety, and isnt liable to induce dependence.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:23 AM   #5
    Sonic Max
    (male)

Sonic Max HB User

Thanks all...

Staying on topic...how is Zoloft different from Xanax (if it actually is)...& would that be a good choice?

(reason I'm asking is...I'd like to know what I'm talking about when I go to see the ol' primary care physician).

Thanks again,

SM

UPDATE:

Forgot to answer Luvmydog's question. I think he was talking about drugs such as Zyprexa...which are thought to work by blocking (antagonizing) dopamine and serotonin at receptor sites in the brain. Now...if this is so...if they "block" the production of endorphines...which produce the feeling of well being...I guess my question is...what good are they, for God's sake? Because...<WITHOUT>sounding like an addict (which I'm truly not)...I was looking for some sort of feeling of relief.

SM

Last edited by msmod; 05-20-2008 at 01:05 PM. Reason: Please always use whole words in your posts.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:39 PM   #6
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

Zoloft works by increasing seretonin levals in the brain, by inhibiting its reuptake, it is an antidepressant

Xanax works by binding to GABA receptors in the brain, it is a sedative or tranquiliser

Totaly different mechanisms of action.

Xanax is habit forming

Zoloft is not

Old 05-22-2008, 02:08 PM   #7
    Sonic Max
    (male)

Sonic Max HB User

UPDATE:

Guess I should have originally posted this in the Depression board...'cause after yesterday's visit to the doctor's office...the filling out of a symptoms check list; & the overall consultation itself...the doc said it was more depression than anxiety...but prescribed me a medicaion that aids <WITH> both.

That medication is Lexapro.

Anyone have any experience <WITH>this pill? (10 mg. daily...to start).

Thanks for everyone's help,

Sonic Max

Last edited by msmod; 05-22-2008 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Always use whole words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Old 05-23-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

Lexapro is a newer form of celexa. It is an ssri. I tried lexapro but it was to stimulating for me. So I am on a small dose of celexa. Both helped with the depression and some of the anxiety. Side effects differ with each person. Give it a try. Godbless

Closed Thread