It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Advice for generalized/social anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 05-20-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
    monann77
    (female)

monann77 HB User
    Advice for generalized/social anxiety

I've suffered with anxiety/depression for 13 years now. I used to have panic attacks, now due to some events in my life it has evolved to generalized/social anxiety. I'm trying to live a normal life but it is very difficult for me. I was recently on Lexapro and didn't like the side effects, plus it really wasn't making that big of a difference. I still take Ativan as needed (which is all the time) but instead of relieving my symtoms it just makes me sleepy. I am just tired all the time, being around people makes me anxious and tired. I'm trying to have a career, but I just don't have the energy to ace interviews like I used to. I just feel like I'm in a fog and there is no way out. I was in therapy for awhile but just going to therapy made me anxious. It's like a vicious circle. Is there anyone out there that has felt this way? Have you taken meds that have alleviated your symtoms? I know there is no cure-all but if I'm going to be on medication I want to actually feel somewhat better. Any advice would be helpful

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User
    Re: Advice for generalized/social anxiety

Halve tha Ativan dose, so that it doesnt make you sleepy.

See a counselor for some CBT

Ask your doc if you can try Remeron.... start off at a low dose, and slowly build up

Old 05-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #3
    monann77
    (female)

monann77 HB User

Thank you I will ask my doc about Remeron.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:04 PM   #4
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

Good work

Ask about CBT as well, pills arnt going to totaly solve your problem, you need multiphasic help, from drugs, a psychologist/counselor etc.

Start the Remeron off at 15mg at bedtime, and then increase to 30mg. It can have a sedative effect, so be careful taking Ativan with it.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
    shorebird
    Veteran
    (male)

shorebird HB User

I just want to second Ausiejono's advice. CBT is what got me over the hump and eventually off of all my meds. I was in a group and I think they are great but success with CBT is up to you doing the exercises so it does not matter what form you get it in as much as how dedicated you are to doing the work necessary to get yourself better. I still counter my thoughts in a TEA form almost everyday and it is a small investment compared to the control they have given me over my anxiety. Good luck!

Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 AM   #6
    marian100
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

marian100 HB User

A drug called buspar is made for anxiety. It is non habit forming and not sedating. Very little side effects and easier on the liver than an ssri. It has helped me alot. Godbless

Old 05-23-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
    monann77
    (female)

monann77 HB User

Thank you I'll look into that one also.

Old 05-24-2008, 02:10 AM   #8
    xmichaelsh
    (male)

xmichaelsh HB User

Lexapro never helped with my anxiety. I have chronic pain, panic disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, bi-polar disorder type 1 mixed, and have chronic insomnia.

I was put on Xanax three years ago... and sometimes go for days without taking a Xanax at all... and I take 0.5mg to 2mg every 6 hours as needed. I am also on Klonopin 0.5mg three times a day. This medication regimin works out wonderfully for me. I am also on Restoril 15-30mg when I do need it to help me sleep... the Restoril is a benzo like Xanax and Klonopin and it helps with anxiety at night... I would lay down with my mind racing and I would get shaky and worry about things for no reason at all... I would also wake up and have panic attacks... so the Restoril helps at night.

The only problem is that Xanax, Klonopin, and Restoril are addictive.

I have been on Wellbutrin, Geodon, Lamictal, and Lexapro... my doctor told me Lexapro would help... which it never did. Zoloft and Paxil seem like a good option... maybe with Xanax or Vistaril as needed, and Trazodone or Remeron for sleep if you can't sleep at night.

Hopefully this information helps!

You can beat this!!! I did!!!

~ M

Closed Thread