It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Zoloft fear...need advice

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 06-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
    Victoria05
    (female)

Victoria05 HB User
    Unhappy Zoloft fear...need advice

Hi everyone.

I've been an anxiety sufferer for several years now, and it has gotten much worse in the last couple of years. I currently suffer from severe depression, social anxiety, generalized anxiety, and some OCD tendencies. I also suffer from very severe germophobia. I am 20 years old.

I am in college. School itself stresses me out, but I have a lot of family issues that have caused me a lot of stress. I'm pretty much always stressed, no matter what the situation is. Life is just never enjoyable to me anymore...and I can't remember the last time it was. Also, there was a death in my family recently and I haven't been able to recover like everyone else in my family has. I have trouble expressing feelings and emotions.

I tried to get better on my own for a while. Sometimes I would feel better...but anytime it seemed I would get better I would have another setback and get worse.

I've been given antidepressants in the past, but I didn't take them because I was afraid to. I was going to try therapy, but it was too expensive.

Anyway...I went back to my doctor last Thursday and she gave me a prescription for Sertraline. Since I am very small and only 5'4" and 103 lbs, she wanted me to start on 12 1/2 mg for a week and switch to 25 mg the next week. She thought this might also help me avoid side effects.

I think I need to try this, since it could help me. I've gotten so bad that I've shut myself off from my friends, and I went over 7 months without leaving the house. My life has seriously suffered and my fiancé worries about me all the time. He says I'm not myself anymore.

I am very worried about side effects of this antidepressant. I know this medicine has a tendency to cause aggression/agitation and suicidal thoughts and tendencies.

Will I be likely to have side effects on such a small dose? What should I expect? Being as small as I am, I worry about having nausea and loss of appetite. I have a lot of trouble gaining weight, and I lose weight very easily. How sick will I feel, and how long might it last? Also, I will also be starting on birth control pills in a week and a half. Will starting both of these close together cause me a lot of appetite loss/nausea?

If you have been on Zoloft, did you have nausea and loss of appetite? If you did, how bad was it? Did it interfere with your life? How long did it last?

I'm someone who really doesn't like taking medicine. I rarely even take pain medicine unless I'm really suffering. I'm very anxious and nervous about it. Also, I read on a few websites that Zoloft can even cause blindness and incontinence. That scared me to death. I know I'm probably worrying too much, but if there is a risk like this than I don't know if I want to try it.

I'm sorry for the long post...but I really need advice. I'm frustrated, because I desperately want help and want to get better, but I'm terrified of taking medicine. Thank you all so much.

Last edited by Victoria05; 06-10-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Read and follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
    MommyKC
    (female)

MommyKC HB User
    Re: Zoloft fear...need advice

i was on it for 5 days and then i was fed up with it. i did not have nausea but every other side effect their is and i got it..i had head tremors, blurry vision, my body was numb, i did not sleep but a few hours a night, i was more scared on the zoloft then i was normally with anxiety and attacks. HOWEVER..everybody has a different story to tell i bet some people love it..theirs no way to know howyour body will react until you try it. i have been told by many that if you get just get though a month or so of the medication the side effects will deminish.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:14 AM   #3
    ohhbee
    (female)

ohhbee HB User

I have a friend on Zoloft and she loves it. She says she can't function without it. Try not to think about the side effects. Chances are, you might not have any. I am on Celexa and the ONLY side effect I had was drowsiness, but nothing extreme. Just a feeling of tiredness. It went away after a week too. And I am VERY sensitive to medicines and VERY anti-pills and am deathly afraid of medicines as well. Always remember that if you DO experience any side effects, they will eventually pass and go away. I think you starting on a small dose is a good idea. I would even try half of the 12 mg, if you can cut it that small. Then go up two weeks later. No matter what your doctor says, go at your own pace. I strongly recommend doing 6 for 2 weeks, then 12 for 2 weeks, then go the full dose 2 weeks later. That is what I would do. You want to go slowly so your body can get used to it. I hope this helps. You are not alone. Try to squeeze in exercise time as well because exercise is the number one cure for anxiety and depression. Diet too.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:44 PM   #4
    aussiejono
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

aussiejono HB User

Give it a try, it is pretty mild in the side effects department, and could make a dramatic improvement in your life, you sound like you are in a terrible way right now.

25mg is quite a low dose, even for someone your size, probably move up to 50mg after a week or two.

Try it for a month and see how you feel

Last edited by aussiejono; 06-10-2008 at 06:45 PM.

Closed Thread