It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety in romantic relationships

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 07-11-2008, 07:12 AM   #1
    DDblue26
    (female)

DDblue26 HB User
    Anxiety in romantic relationships

Help! I was wondering is anyone else might feel the same way I do when it comes to anxiety/stress in romantic relationships.

Generally I can manage my life (family, friends, work) with minimal anxiety but when im in a relationship its so bad! I CONSTANTLY stress and worry, I can't sleep, I can't fuction normally and I get physically ill....my stomach turns and I feel awful. I have been seeing someone for two months, things have been going well. He takes me to dinner, movies, out on the town, he even cooked me dinner the other night. He texts me cute things like that he misses me, or is thinking about me. But when Im not with him and I am home by myself, I have really crazy thoughts. I constatnly want to know why hes not calling me that very second, I feel that he is always trying to dump me or get rid of me, even when we have a great time together. I always think he is with another woman and lying to me about it. But he just bought me my own toothbrush to keep at his apartment!! which I thought was very considerate!

I have had what I believe were 3 panic attacks since we started dating. I got so overwhelmed with thoughts of rejection that I couldn't breath, my heart raced, I was dizzy, disconnected and faint.....its really scary because I can't control it! I will not leave my apartment for fear I will not have phone serive and he won't reach me........and If I call him I wait right by my phone (postponing my whole life) until he calls back. Its out of control, Im trying so hard to hide this from him because the last thing I need is for him to know im insecure or think im clingy. Any help?!?!?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
    CarenR
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

CarenR HB User
    Re: Anxiety in romantic relationships

I can understand you have anxiety as I am single and I date sometimes.

I have anxiety on first dates..........

Caren

Old 07-11-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
    rose620
    (female)

rose620 HB User

I have a daughter who suffers/suffered like you. She went on Prozac for a while and felt much better. Off prozac now, engaged!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:17 AM   #4
    chris031181
    (female)

chris031181 HB User

Have you had relationships in the past that maybe he cheated on you or something and maybe that is why you are feeling so insecure? I have anxiety issues as well with new things that happen in my life...such as meeting new people and starting new jobs. I know its probably hard to hear someone say to "just relax and enjoy the relationship" but really, I would try that first. If you have had a past relationship in your life though to where you were cheated on or something, I can understand why you would feel this way. Maybe you should see someone about it. Anxiety to the point where it makes you sick is not a fun thing! Trust me, I can relate!

Old 07-11-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
    DDblue26
    (female)

DDblue26 HB User

Thanks for the replies!

I dont think I was ever cheated on....but who knows.... College was EXTREMELY rough as causual dating leaves you with no solid relationship or trust...I felt men always left me for thinner and prettier girls. I used to drink alot in college and when I did I would get angry and sad and overeat because I was so depressed about the men I was dating and how they never wanted anything serious from me. That was over 3 years ago, and now I drink very lightly and I have lost weight in a healthy way and overall I feel much better than I did in college.

My last relationship which lasted a year involved my ex-boyfriend going on online and looking at other womans profiles and I would catch him, it totally killed me. He said it was a bad habit and that he loved me, but come on! I think I should contact my doctor... maybe I can talk to someone that can help me....im scared because I have never been in therapy or consueling or anything. I know that the way I am feeling has nothing to do with the man Im seeing, but how I feel about myself.....

Last edited by DDblue26; 07-11-2008 at 10:45 AM.

Closed Thread