It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Health Anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 08-31-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
    supermom3
    Veteran
    (female)

supermom3 HB User
    Unhappy Health Anxiety?

Hi - does anybody reading this have health anxiety ? Fear of "what if" I get cancer, etc. How do you deal?

I guess it would just help to know I'm not the only one out there!

Thanks!
    supermom3

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2008, 02:35 PM   #2
    dmize23235
    (male)

dmize23235 HB User
    Re: Health Anxiety?

oh god yes,,,that's exactly my fear...you are NOT alone...it's very hard to deal with...i am on lexapro and it does help, i also stay the heck off of the cancer boards.....that will scare the hell out of you...

Old 09-01-2008, 07:12 PM   #3
    supermom3
    Veteran
    (female)

supermom3 HB User

Hi dmize!

When you say you stay off the cancer boards, does visiting this website cause you more anxiety?

talk to you soon!
    supermom3

Old 09-01-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
    shelly80
    (female)

shelly80 HB User

Just a quick note to answer your question below, yes!! Looking on those boards increase my anxiety. From what I understand, a good chunk of what is online isn't reliable anyhow. When I do it, its like feeding a compulsion. It's like scratching an itch. Either I feel a little better or I find a new disease of the week to get me going into a tailspin. I'm on an antidepressant as well (just recently for the first time) and so far it has helped stop my panic attacks. But like so many others on this board, just looking on the internet can lead me to the worst possible scenario. If I have bruise that I don't remember where it came from, I think I must have kidney failure. If my lymph nodes feel a little large, I think I have cancer. The last big one was because I had pain behind my eye. The internet helped me diagnose myself with; "swelling of the optic nerve, caused by increased cranial pressure, caused by a brain tumor". Its amazing how far we can go. Needless to say, none of that is wrong with me.

Sorry for the long "quick note". Just know you are not alone! I'm working on getting better finally. Meds and therapy and staying the HECK OF THE INTERNET is my best medicine so far, not to mention this board which has been a lifesaver. Shelly

Old 09-02-2008, 07:47 AM   #5
    dmize23235
    (male)

dmize23235 HB User

no i love coming to this website...i just stay away from the cancer parts......that's my biggest fear....the anxiety and reflux boards are the ones i go to because i DO have both of those...but cancer boards....????NOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Old 09-02-2008, 10:23 AM   #6
    cg030281
    (female)

cg030281 HB User

I do - but that's only one of the many things I obsess over. I worry about my health, worry about what people think of me, worry everyone is against me, a little OCD....

I wonder sometimes if I'm a hypochondriac.<- See - there's more thinking about my health. HA

Old 09-02-2008, 10:27 AM   #7
    Craig1974
    (male)

Craig1974 HB User

Hi all,

I am always scared about my health. Anything I have never experienced before scares the hell out of me. I went to a Halloween party a couple of years ago, and got some coloured contact lenses, which I later thought had given me an eye abscess (they hadn't).

I'm very very anxious at the moment, as I have some progressive sinus issues that I'm terrified is sinus cancer. My probably is that I go looking for my own answers as I can't wait for the Doctors. Diagnosis always seems to take weeks, and I need an answer NOW.
    Unfortunately, I rarely like what I find, and scare myself into crippling anxiety.

How far do you think symptoms can be psychosomatic? I.e. can you make symptoms of what you fear appear through your anxiety?

I have a CT scan tomorrow...haven't been able to sleep with worry

Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #8
    Craig1974
    (male)

Craig1974 HB User

I should probably add that since the sinus problems began, I have feared:

* deviated septum
    * perforated septum
    * brain abscess
    * stroke
    * skin cancer (can't even remember how/why I made that link)
    * brain tumour
    * glaucoma (caused by brain tumour/stroke)

...and probably a host of others. It seems daft when you write it down, but the fear and anxiety are very real.

I think it's natural to worry about your health, but it can snowball. Someone once said to me: "Look at it this way, being aware of your body may save you one day, but these things belong in the back of your mind, not the front". I was also told that its the most intelligent people that have anxious/obsessive tendencies, so we should be proud of that at least! :0

Old 09-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #9
    cg030281
    (female)

cg030281 HB User

That's the bad thing about the internet. When you look up a runny nose, it always gives you the "worst case scenario" and you're dying.

My doctor mentioned thyroid to me a year ago. And I've been pushing and pushing for more tests. They get done, it's all good, I ask to go to an endocrinologist, who finds my thyroid antibodies are high. So I look that up. Bad idea. Now I'm in constant worry over that, and I swear everything that is wrong with me now, I attribute to my thyroid, even my anxiety.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
    Craig1974
    (male)

Craig1974 HB User

I'll tell you a little story, that I hope will make you laugh, but I apologise in advance for the subject matter....

I was at work, self diagnosing as usual, and I came upon this site that told you the top 6 things to look out for (i.e. if you're seriously ill). One of them was dark or black stools. I made a mental note of that...a couple of hours later, nature called, and I am really not kidding...it was dark black in colour! I almost fainted then and there.

In a panic I managed to get myself back to my desk, and went to my drawer for my mobile phone, and then I spotted the half eaten box of oreos I'd started the evening before...Ha ha ha

Old 09-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #11
    psalm46
    (female)

psalm46 HB User

Yup, every single day. That's one of my triggers. If I feel a slight pain I'm afraid it'll be terminal. I have to control the surfing on the internet I do as well as that just fans the flames.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:25 PM   #12
    shelly80
    (female)

shelly80 HB User

Craig,

How funny, my health anxiety started with unexplained, progressive sinus issues as well. I was convinced I had a sinus tumor, brain tumor. You name it I thought I had it. Because it wasn't getting better, I got more and more anxious and it finally just all started boiling into panic attacks. The Dr. treated me for infection that probably wasn't there to begin with and the drugs made me very sick. Full sinus xrays' showed nothing remarkable but I still have pressure above my eye and in my cheek 5 months after it first started. Sometimes its worse, but its always there. I also have pain behind my eye. My dentist finally diagnosed me with TMJ and says that is the root of the "sinus" issues. I haven't decided if I believe it yet, but whatever. Right now I'm just trying to control my anxiety and live with the fact that I might not always get an answer. I'm living, I'm breathing, I'm healthy. You aren't alone in your fear!!

Shelly

Last edited by msmod; 09-02-2008 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 09-02-2008, 01:49 PM   #13
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Oh man.. I have had some BAD health anxiety since last February. My anxiety has gotten sooo much worse from me not doing anything about it and just "hoping" it would go away on it's own. This developed into a pain in my heart ( that has since gone away after finding out everything was fine, lol)

My heart issues started when i checked my blood pressure with one of home monitors. It was like 145/109 a few times, which led me to go to the doctor, doctor refused to put me on blood pressure pills, and anxiety medicine. So after a while i still noticed the blood pressure spikes ( i still get them unless i have a fan blowing on me to keep me cool) I ended up in the hospital cause i WANTED answers after repeated trips to the doctor who did nothing, like others in this topic i didn't want to wait WEEKS for answers, it would drive me more crazy.

At the hospital they gave me IV's of blood pressure meds, it still didn't go down, i TOLD them It's from my anxiety, they said it should still not be that high and should go down. They ran blood tests, checked for blood clot, did a EKG, chest X-ray..ALL NORMAL!

So after 7 hours in the Er they finally let me go with a script for lopressor (Beta-blocker for BP) 50mg's twice daily. I remember reading about BP meds and how they can be bad to come off of, but i have came off of several SSRis ( for anxiety) but the thing that upset me was that i KNEW i didn't need BP medicine, that it was all due to anxiety, but no doctor would listen.

So after that i had to see my GP (regular doctor) who said " i want you too see a cardiologist just in case. So even then leaving the doctors office i still couldn't relax, cause now i knew i would have to see another doctor and the damn cycle NEVER ends!!! call them up, had to wait a MONTH for an appointment! So i go there, they run a EKG, once again everything fine, i'm still on the lopressor <BY THE WAY>, and as you know beta blockers also help with anxiety, so it's been two months on them, I have to say though it REALLY helps with a racing heart!! Is till turn red though, it doesn't help that symptom, but my heart NEVER races anymore, i still get the butterfly feeling though, and it still feels like it races but it doesn't.

So my cardiologist says he agres with me and thinks it's all anxiety!!! BUT LOL of course you guys knew this was coming!!! Just in case he says he wants to run more blood work / urine test( which i got done) and i would have to come back in ( which was a month later) for a echocardigram and a renal sonogram. These tests are actually next week! and even though i'm sure everything is fine, just the wait has been killing me, and those tests EACH take like 30-45 minutes!! so i'm going to have to lay there with some nurse running that thing over my stomach... i know i'm going to have a panic attack or something, or my BP will be so high from stress and anxiety that it will give false results lol.

So yea, i am now in the WEB of never ending doctor exams/tests , all that i knew from day 1 were anxiety related. I started seeing a psychotherapist though!! My last few sessions have been hypnosis ( which haven't helped) but i told him last week i wanted to try the regular CBT so i start that tonight!

Sorry about the long post! Don't let your health anxiety drive you crazy like it did me!

Last edited by msmod; 09-02-2008 at 02:20 PM. Reason: Replaced text message, chat room words with the proper words. Please follow the posting rules. Ms_Mod

Old 09-02-2008, 01:50 PM   #14
    cg030281
    (female)

cg030281 HB User

I had the same thing happen to me. On Thanksgiving a few years back I got nauseous and had to take quite a bit of pepto-bismol. The next day, I discovered the same thing when I went, and FREAKED since I'd heard that bleeding in the digestive tract can cause black stool (iron maybe?). I looked it up (of course) and discovered that pepto can make stool black. Oops.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #15
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Now my newest "symptom" though is something with my right eye. I think it's from the beta-blockers i'm on, but whnever i turn my head real fast, or move that eye i see a blur like thing across it. I also see lots of those floater things( always had the floaters since i was young though) But i always seem to have pain in that eye when i press on the top of it. So of course i know think i have a tumor behind my eye, or the beta blockers are making me go blind in that eye. LOL so i guess my next appointment after i get this cardiologist stuff taking care of will be eye doctor!

LOL had to see me last year when i made my first dentists appointment in ten years.. of course i thought i had abscesses that went untreated and spread to my brain! Turns out i only had a few cavities

Last edited by Lourage; 09-02-2008 at 01:58 PM.

Closed Thread