It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Panicking-muscle twitching

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-16-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User
    Panicking-muscle twitching

Hi guys...I am panicked now. As many of you know I have had random shooting/pulsating pains all over my body for 3 months. Now I have non stop muscle twitching-everywhere-all the time. It hits my hand, then thigh, then shoulder. I am a wreck now. I am so scared I have ALS and will have nerve testing tomorrow. I have been tested for everything else-mri, full body bone scan, blood work.

Could it be anxiety causing all of this? Please help me, I am so scared right now that I dont know what to do.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User
    Re: Panicking-muscle twitching

I had a lot of twitching through my body when i started Prozac, but looking back it may have been the actual anxiety causing the twitching and not the Prozac. Dont worry until you have to. Good luck.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
    StephRabin
    (female)

StephRabin HB User

anxiety can cause twitching...but I am unaware of it causing stabbing paisn throughout the body. I had this too...it is a lot less now that I am on a regimine of vitamins, supplemetns and cymbalta.

You would be surprised how many vitamin deficiencies cause muscle twitching..b12 and magnesium are big culprits.

Old 09-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

I know I got my b12 checked, it was great and have been taking a mag pill-no help so far...

Old 09-17-2008, 02:32 PM   #5
    8monthslater
    (female)

8monthslater HB User

I have it. I think it is from being tense all the time. I notice it esp at night as I am drifting to sleep or upon waking. It is more noticeable since I started Prozac 3 weeks ago.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
    Worrybucket
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Worrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB UserWorrybucket HB User

8 months...
    Most definetely I felt twitching soon after starting prozac. But now its hardly at all, except i cant sleep too well. im coming off now so hopefully my dleep will resume a pattern again

Old 09-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

I am not on meds, but have any of you had pain with your anxiety--shooting pains in the body? My nerve test came through clear-thank god

Old 09-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User

I am not on any medications either but sometimes just thinking about a stressing event that is coming up will cause pain.

Example. Today I got a summons for jury duty. I have been having lightning shock electric type pains which last only for an instant in my chest and stomach. I have also been feeling muscle weakness in my arms and wrists.

I know this is just anxiety but I always think the worst until I can get it calmed down and get it to go away.

You are not alone.

Lindaru

Old 09-18-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Wow Lindaru...I guess I have a hard time accepting this could be anxiety vs medical issues. How long did it take for you to have your pains etc dx as anxiety?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:45 PM   #10
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User

After ruling out chest and digestive related disorders years ago, and after seeing how I would physically shake, and how high my blood pressure and pulse would go just sitting on the examination table, they just chalked it up to the anxiety I was first diagnosed with at age 16 (am 51 now).

When we first moved here, it was reconfirmed ten years ago that there was no medical issue for my symptoms and the timing of them came with stressors, they wanted me to take anti-depressants but I refused (was put on phenobarbitol at age 16 which caused severe hallucinations and suicidal tendencies). The doctors understand my reluctance and know I deal with it the best I can.

I believe that our adrenaline likes to get everything all stirred up sometimes.

Lindaru

Old 09-19-2008, 05:11 AM   #11
    gordon99
    Inactive
    (male)

gordon99 HB User

I feel if you have an anxiety disorder then you know it. If it is GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) or Panic Disorder you should be able to say its one or both. Of course Panic/with major fear of the panic in public or anywhere, there are still those that think that they are going crazy and drink heavily and lean on a loved one for very basic needs....Agoraphobic.

I think in 2008 treatment will become quicker before becoming dual/diagnosed meaning getting to the psychiatrist before getting hooked on booze before getting treated for the primary disorder.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:36 AM   #12
    gordon99
    Inactive
    (male)

gordon99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by k2626 View Post
    Hi guys...I am panicked now. As many of you know I have had random shooting/pulsating pains all over my body for 3 months. Now I have non stop muscle twitching-everywhere-all the time. It hits my hand, then thigh, then shoulder. I am a wreck now. I am so scared I have ALS and will have nerve testing tomorrow. I have been tested for everything else-mri, full body bone scan, blood work.

Could it be anxiety causing all of this? Please help me, I am so scared right now that I dont know what to do.
    Sounds like both. Ive suffered for years with it. It does sound like you are anxious/stressed about your symptoms too much without seeking help. Im just a guy thats had panic/agoraphobia/Generalized Anxiety Disorder. Actually if you get your other problems solved you may have one of the above including some obsessive/compulsive disorder. Get your physical problems done first then work on the others or both at the same time. For real it sounds like you are obsessive/compulsive and have a couple of probs at the same time. Im the same way. I had to have oral surgery and waited to the last moment. However, I was being treated for my anxiety or would have tried to pull it out myself. Get treated by a Psychiatrist then ask he/she how to go about it...sorry so scrambled but what I said last im sure most would agree with.
    gordy
    Gordon

Old 09-19-2008, 07:10 AM   #13
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I had the same thing you did over this past year. The twitching was driving me CRAZY!! I thought I had MS or ALS coming on for sure. Finally I got in with the neurologist. I had three tests run, blood work etc... muscle testing and all. They all came back normal. Thank God!!

So the doctor asked me about my allergies and the meds I take for them. Walla! We had an answer! So my question for you, is do you have allergies? Do you take meds for them?? One of the number one meds to cause muscle twitching in Sudefed! That is what caused me problems for nearly year. After being off of them for a few weeks the twitches left me completely. Now I just take Sudefed here and there and know ahead of time I will have some twitching. Also, I found that Benadryl causes me some twitching. Alot of time things like this are never posted on the packaging. You have to research on the net. Thats how I found out quite a bit of information. And from the doctor of couse.

You will be fine. If they have ruled out the biggies most likely it is a medication you are on. And stress and anxiety. Which I have both of those. Now it just take some fine tuning to deal with all these. Good luck sweetie!

Last edited by TEdds83; 09-19-2008 at 07:11 AM.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:31 AM   #14
    k2626
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

k2626 HB User

Thanks guys. I do have allergies but am not on meds for it, I am on aciphex and birth control though.

I just have such a hard time believing this pain etc is stress/anxiety, BUT I have been tested for everything under the sun soooo not sure what to do next. I did test pos on two lyme bands, but I guess its still negative.

I go back to my dr today to discuss what is next, if there is a next.

I do have come OCD for sure, otherwise I woudl not be researching my symptoms non stop!

Sigh.. Maybe I just try and anti anxiety and see what happens

Closed Thread