It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• How To Handle "Bad" Days - Great Therapist Appt

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #1
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User
    How To Handle "Bad" Days - Great Therapist Appt

Saw my CBT therapist today and the #1 thing I wanted to know was how to handle "bad" days. Days where you think you're not getting better.

She gave me two new tools to put in my anxiety "toolbox"

1) There are four steps to behavior. Situation (what happens)...Thoughts (what goes through your head when it happens)...Emotions (how does that make you feel)....Behavior (what does it make you do). Focus on the "Thoughts" and turn it into the opposite of what the trigger was. Instead of "Oh no! It's back!" say "I'm okay, I've come a long way". That will help the other stages down the process. More involved than that but you get the drift. Map out all four steps when you're in an anxious stage.

2) Imagine three intersecting circles. One is "Reason Mind", one is "Emotion Mind" and one is "Body Mind". The part where they intersect is "Wise Mind". Frankly only the Dalai Lama can achieve that but it's a good visual to tell yourself that if you ignore any part of these circles during anxiety the others get pushed to the side and will suffer. Recommend you draw this on a piece of paper and it will make a lot of sense.

Yeah for therapy! I was dreading today's appointment because I felt I wasn't making exposure therapy progress and struggling with some bad days. Now I feel very motivated to tackle things again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread