It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Lexapro not working after 3 weeks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2008, 06:27 AM   #1
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User
    Lexapro not working after 3 weeks

I have been taking 5 ML of Lexapro for a little over 3 weeks now and have felt little to no relief. I know that it takes a long time to start working but I thought that by now I would have started to feel alot better. I still am struggling with anxiety (still have to take xanax), loss of appetite and feeling sick to my stomach alot of the time. Of course this makes me think and worry that my problems are really not anxiety related and that something else is wrong physically or else the Lexapro would have done it's trick by now. I would like to hear from others who have gone through the same thing <WITH>Lexapro and if it eventually worked or maybe this isn't the right med for me and I need to switch. Thank you!

Last edited by ms_mod; 09-23-2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Since some people have to translate the board from English to their native language always use whole words in your posts.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #2
    8monthslater
    (female)

8monthslater HB User
    Re: Lexapro not working after 3 weeks

I could have written this post. Except I am taking Prozac and not Lex. It has been a little over 3 weeks for me too. I have a lot of physical symptoms that are still with me (and maybe even worse than before I started). I am filled with dread and think something must be terribly wrong that the doctor's cannot find. I am also taking xanax (.25 mg a day). I went a couple of days without it and felt really bad. I don't want to have to take xanax everyday. That is why I started the Prozac in the first place. I have heard it can take up to 6 weeks before you feel better so I am going to try to stick it out. Good luck.

Old 09-23-2008, 10:49 AM   #3
    AAAsMom
    (female)

AAAsMom HB User

Hi Natty - Sorry to hear that you're still not getting much relief - I really think that it's your dosage. Don't you visit the doctor later this week? I bet they bump you up to 10 mgs.

I'm now on day #7 on the 5 mgs. Starting a feel a tiny bit better as far as my appetite is concerned, but still can't sleep at all and am more anxious than before. I just got off the phone with my doctor, and she wants me to continue at 5 mgs for one more week. If I don't feel better, she wants to try a different med. NO!!!! I don't want to go through different side effects again.

Hang in there and keep us posted!

Dawn

Old 09-23-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User

Thank you both for your replies. That is one of my fears is that it won't work for me and the doctor will want to start me on something new and that gives me anxiety in itself having to try yet another med with all those side effects! I am going to try to stick this out though and see how I feel at the 6 week point before I try something else. I figure I'm 3 weeks into it and I might as well give it a full shot. My appetite is not great, but I do manage to eat since I don't want to loose any weight. I'll keep you posted. Yes, Dawn, I was supposed to have a doctor's apt. this week but didn't get around to scheduling it so maybe next week I will - at that point I would have been on over 4 weeks and we'll see what they say. I'll let you know. Hang in there both of you!

Old 09-23-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
    shrtcak81
    (female)

shrtcak81 HB User

Hi Natty!

I wanted to let you know that it took me about 3 weeks to get my appetite back, and that was after changing my dose to 10mg. I just passed week 6 and just recently was when I noticed a big difference in my anxiety. I'm no longer getting it and am more relaxed. I hope you stick with it and you might want to up the dose. Take care!

Crystal

Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 PM   #6
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User

Natty...I tried 5mg. Some relief but not enough. I went to 10mg and that worked for me.

Now for the bad news...you will have to go through the same side effects all over again. Horrible! So yup, another 3 weeks.

But yes, 10mg is considered the normal starting "theraputic" dose. I went with 5mg as I tend to be hugely medication sensitive. Now I wish I would have gone with doc's advice.

Best of luck to you.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:10 AM   #7
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User

Hi Crystal and Violet - good to hear from both of you and the common thing seems to be the dosage and mine not being enough. It seems you both felt better after going up to 10 ML. I think I will suggest to the doctor that I need to go to 10 ML. I just really dread going through those annoying side affects again!! Wish me luck! Thanks for your notes of encouragement and I'm so happy for you that you're feeling better and not having anxiety. I hope I'm there soon.

Diane

Old 09-26-2008, 10:14 AM   #8
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User

Do you find that around your period your anxiety increased even on Lexapro and needed to take xanax?

Old 09-26-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
    shrtcak81
    (female)

shrtcak81 HB User

Yes, I think it did for me. I had to supplement Lexapro with Xanax for the first 4-5 weeks I was on it.

Crystal

Closed Thread