It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety & weight loss

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-23-2008, 01:13 PM   #1
    shelly80
    (female)

shelly80 HB User
    Anxiety & weight loss

Hi all,

Been a bit since I've posted. My anxiety is definitely much better than before, its been very bumpy but it hasn't gotten back to the point that I was at 2 months ago thank goodness.

Just wondering what others thoughts are about this. I lost about 10-15 pounds when I was going through my worst panic attacks. I didn't have an appetite and I was having stomach problems constantly. I started on my antidepressant and things have started to get better, I can eat plenty again and enjoy my food and for the most part it stays in (meaning my tummy is better 90% of the time). But I haven't been gaining weight back. This fear might just be a part of my health anxiety problems. I figure something must be wrong with me or I would be gaining weight. I recently had my physical and everything seemed fine. I'm waiting on the blood work still.

Has anyone else had trouble gaining weight back even though things seem more stable and under control and you can eat again?? Just wondering.

Shelly

Megan, if you are reading, hope things are well. I miss talking with you!! I know you and I shared a similar anxiety/weight loss story and I was wondering how you are faring in that regard.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2008, 03:47 PM   #2
    MrsPM
    (female)

MrsPM HB User
    Re: Anxiety & weight loss

Hi Shelly,

I know what you mean about not being able to gain the weight back very easily. When I'm going through bouts of anxiety or high stress times I lose my appetite and lose weight. When things do get better I feel like I have to eat a lot over at least a few weeks to see any kind of weight gain. Are you on the slim side? I am and I try very hard to gain or at least maintain my weight. I bought an off brand of Ensure Plus to help me keep my weight up. My problem right now is that I got a job promotion and have so much work to do that I really don't make the time to eat enough during the day. You are not alone having trouble putting the weight back on.

Old 09-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #3
    shelly80
    (female)

shelly80 HB User

Thanks for responding! Yes, I am on the "slim" side. My normal weight range is about 140-145 (I'm 5ft8). My lowest was 131 a month ago and I can't quite seem to get it back up again! I go between 134-136 these days but I am eating quite normally and have had my appetite back since I started Remeron nearly 2 months ago.

I thought about starting a supplament shake like ensure to maybe boost my calories. I don't know what else to do! I just know I never could have imagined that anxiety could do this to my body. That is why I immediately figure its something more serious going with me medically.

Shelly

Old 09-24-2008, 06:07 AM   #4
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User

Hi Shelly - yes! I had/have the same problem. I am 5'9" and normally weigh around 150-151 - I lost about 8 lbs especially when they put me on Lexapro 4 weeks ago - I lost my appetite. I have always been a very healthy eater but when I lost that weight, I started eating junk food to try to gain it back! Milkshakes, french fries, soda,chips, just tried to find high fat foods, but it still seems I haven't gained it all back yet and it worries me too, especially when people tell me "you're so thin!" During that weight loss - I quit going to the gym - #1 because I had no energy to go and #2 - I didn't want to burn calories! Oh this anxiety thing - it's a vicious cycle and hard to break and like you, I worry too that something else MUST be going on or else I would be feeling better and be back at my normal weight. Hang in there - it's frustrating I know.

Diane

Old 09-24-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
    shelly80
    (female)

shelly80 HB User

I have done the same, eating burgers and fries, junk food thinking that will magically make me gain some weight. My stomach tolerates it for a while, but not for too long.

I had also stopped working out for the same reasons so I'm sure I've lost muscle mass along with the weight. I just need to not allow myself to get scared by it! Its very frustrating and so easily feeds my anxieties about health. Again, it always helps to know that other people share such similar experiences!!!

Old 09-24-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
    MrsPM
    (female)

MrsPM HB User

I eat pretty healthy for the most part, but I too turn to the junk food to help me gain weight when I'm going through bad times of anxiety. I also try to exercise regularly and feel great when I do, but I stop when I start losing weight because I'm afraid of losing too much. I'm around 5'4 and my weight is usually around 120 which is on the low end of normal for me. So anytime I go below that I get concerned. I don't like to hear people with the same problems, but I must admit it is a relief for us to know we're not alone

Old 09-25-2008, 12:45 AM   #7
    Trixibel
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Trixibel HB User

I have lost weight in the last couple of weeks (due to anxiety) and feel quite angry and frustrated when people tell me how good I look (because I have felt so terrible). But i'm not desperate to put it on again now that I'm feeling better. Your body will dictate how much weight it wants to put back on. I find that when I've been through a couple of weeks of severe, weight-losing anxiety I am very hungry for the next couple of weeks, as if my body is trying to make up for what it's lost. Don't worry unless you're still losing weight without trying. I don't think it means you've got any horrible diseases! Anxious people have higher metabolisms.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:37 AM   #8
    thaliak
    Veteran
    (female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User
    Smile Re: Anxiety & weight loss

Hi!
    I agree with all the previous posts.
    I have been losing weight when I am going through a bad patch, but fortunately I usually put it back on in a few months! Also I do not stop exercising because this CONTROLS my anxiety and keeps me from losing muscle.
    Sometimes, I too think that I may never be able to eat well again, and I start getting anxious, but this is such an unfounded fear!! As soon as I feel a little better and my stomach settles down and keeps the food down, I start gaining. So do not worry, just enjoy the happy times and the way you look, and ride over the bad patches. We are all int he same boat..
    Good luck!

Old 09-26-2008, 07:52 AM   #9
    wrkgirl
    (female)

wrkgirl HB User

I am going through this right now. I have terrible health anxiety and lately it's been worse. I am really slim - naturally 5'2" and 105 lbs but I've lost a few lbs recently. I won't weigh myself but I can feel that my pants are looser on me. Well I made a chart of everything I ate in the past few days and one day consisted of a only a few cookies and 8 mozzarella sticks. The other days were similar. So of course I am going to lose weight, but I still think I have some underlying disorder. I just increased my meds so I hope I feel better soon. I know how you feel though.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:04 PM   #10
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

I saw your post & it reminded me of me. I too am 5'8 weight 145 for yrs & then something happened got very sick for over a yr & went down to 120. People would be shocked when they saw me. I've been slowly working it up to 130 but if I get a bout of Diarreah it falls off again. 1st let me tell you it seems NOW after all this time another Dr found out I have a thyroid problem. I bet that caused alot of my problems. I alwways had problems getting to sleep can't shut my mind off, thyroid can cause that too. I'm thinking of trying the Remeron heard it's good & puts weight on. Do you take the generic or the brand name, I have heard the generic isn't as good. Does it work good, how much & does it make you tired next day? I'm sorry for all the ques but I get such good help from this board. Thanks alot.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #11
    shelly80
    (female)

shelly80 HB User

Hi Gram4,

Thanks for posting, it seems your battle is like mine though I haven't been diagnosed with any Thyroid issues (it was something I thought of). To answer your question, I am taking the generic for Remeron but my Dr. says it shouldn't make a difference. I will say, I immediately felt relief from the nausea that my anxiety was causing. It didn't make me "gain" weight, but enabled me to eat normally again. I've been on it now for a little over 2 months. I think it has been helping with the anxiety, I still have some panic attacks, but not like before. At my lowest I was 131, I'm now up to 140 which is actually a pretty nice weight for me. If you do try the Remeron, let me know how it goes for you!!!

Shelly

Old 10-12-2008, 05:35 AM   #12
    Gram4
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Gram4 HB User

Thanks Shelly, glad to hear you're doing better. Wanted to ask (since I go to Dr Monday)
    how many mg you take of the remeron? Also I want it to get to sleep heard it works good, do you ever take it for that or during the day? Thanks alot for info

Old 10-12-2008, 10:52 PM   #13
    shelly80
    (female)

shelly80 HB User

Hi there,

I am on 15 mg and I take it before bed. When I first started it, I noticed it made me sleepy but that has worn off a bit (or I just don't notice anymore) At the lower dose, it is supposed to have a sedative effect so maybe that would benefit you. I know these types of drugs all work differently for everyone, but my experience so far has been positive and I'm glad its working for me. Let us know what you decide to do and how it all works out for you :-)

Shelly

Old 10-13-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
    VRL
    (female)

VRL HB User

My anxiety cost me 38 pounds. I went down to 108 before anti anti-anxiety meds were offered to me. It's been one month and I am holding at 108. I was hoping to gain some but I guess I have to be thankful I'm not loosing more. I was totally out of control a month ago.

Old 10-20-2008, 10:36 AM   #15
    AMinNJ
    (female)

AMinNJ HB User

I have lost 30 pounds (from 182 to 152) since January, which is when I stopped taking Lexapro. I had been on Lexapro for a few years after the birth of my twins.

While I was on Lexapro, I never lost the baby weight, so I had weight to lose. But since April, my anxiety has been back (GAD & health anxiety) and it is in full force. I have no appetite and have to force myself to eat. Still, I am losing weight at the rate of about a pound a week. I am terrified that the weight loss is some hideous, horrible underlying health problem, but the doctors can't find anything. Of course, I worry that they have just missed it, or not looked carefully enough. I never in my life thought I would be praying not to lose weight.

I am so tired of this excessive, constant, obsessive worry. I am nearly paralyzed in terror and can barely function. It's starting to really scare me, so I went back on the Lexapro 4 days ago. No change yet.

Thanks to all of you who have posted with your stories of anxiety and weight loss. It has been a great comfort to me to read your stories and realize that what I am experiencing is not unusual.

Angela

Closed Thread