It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• in need of advice on dealing with anxiety and panic attacks

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-28-2008, 08:54 PM   #1
    berlingirl
    (female)

berlingirl HB User
    Exclamation in need of advice on dealing with anxiety and panic attacks

I am an intelligent, life-loving, 22 yr. old female who has been recently struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. My life changed when an ex boyfriend broke into my house while I was away. I came home to find my window busted in, my bolt removed, and a pair of my panties sitting on my dresser with his “mark” on them (next to an adult movie which was not mine). I had to quite my job, leave my home and move to a new area. Ever since this event (about 3 months ago) I have been suffering from terrible anxiety and panic attacks. I have gotten to the point where I cannot go out of town without getting physically ill (and I am required to travel a lot with my new job). I spent a week away from home and the first 3 days where spent puking, having a hard time breathing, not eating, and going completely insane with disability. Now, on a regular day, I continuously get panic attacks which are sparked by random thoughts or events and last all day. I can imagine what this is doing to my body, none the less, how it impairs and discomforts me. I do not have the money to go to a psychologist. Does anyone have any tips or advice for me that I can try? I have already attempted the whole “mind over matter” idea and it only seems to make it worse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated… as I am suffering really badly. I am tired of this constant adrenaline and uneasiness. Please help.

Last edited by msmod; 09-29-2008 at 08:22 AM. Reason: Changed font color to make post more readable.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2008, 09:08 PM   #2
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User
    Re: in need of advice on dealing with anxiety and panic attacks

You were a victim of a crime (one that was emotionally threatening as well as physically) and I completely understand that you were and continue to be scared.

Something as traumatic as this can definitely bring out severe anxiety.

I do not know, so you would have to check if you would be willing to go, but there might be support groups for victims of criminal and abusive situations that would not cost you anything. They can share their experiences with you and perhaps give you tips for dealing with the trauma that you are going through now. You might start by calling the local police department or crisis counseling center. They would know if anything like that is available.

I am so sorry for what you have suffered and continue to deal with. Please remember that we are here for you.

Lindaru

Old 09-29-2008, 02:38 AM   #3
    thaliak
    Veteran
    (female)

thaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB Userthaliak HB User

I am so sorry Berligirl for what you have been through.
    Usually the vicious circle of panic attacks and anxiety starts with an unexpected, strong emotional shock, which make us feel insecure and alone.
    Mine started with finding out about my husband's infidelity.. five years ago. Anyhow..
    What to do?
    My best advise to you is to start some form of exercise you will enjoy and stick to. This will use up any extra andrelanile travelling in your body and will help you deal with stress in the long term. Start easily at first. Gradually you will start controlling the stress and feel a lot better with yourself.
    Because my panic attacks have been a lot more severe than yours, vomiting, fainting all night, etc,I have had to start medication, tranquilizers and tablets which control my serotonine levels. These HAVE WORKED VERY WELL FOR ME. And I have now stopped the tranquilizers but still go on with the serotonine tablets. So, medication could be an option for you as well...
    But I must also say that I am undergoing psychotherapy which helps me deal with the cause of this condition which is none other that my low self esteem.
    To deal with this, I have started very slowly to do things that I like and to start asserting myself a little bit more. All these lead very gradually to gaining some form of control of our lives, which is lacking when we are having panic attacks.
    There must be some self help groups in your area which deal with anxiety . I suggest to join them if you can.
    The other quick fix suggestion that you can also use, is to IMMEDIATELY DIRECT YOUR MIND AWAY FROM THE ISSUE THAT IS CAUSING YOU ANXIETY. e.g. Concentrate on reading an advert, or watching tv, or turning your attention to someone else, or do anything that you direct your mind away from the offending thought. Hopefully youR ATTENTION WILL BE DRAWN TO SOMETHING ELSE AND ANXIETY WILL SUBSIDE.
    You can also try deep breathing . You breath in through you mouth and extend your stomach out as much as possible. You hold. Then you slowly exhale. You do this twice only, because more times may make you dizzy.
    I know how you feel. Please do not dispair. There is a lot of help out there for people like us. Your general practitioner will be able to start you off with some mild medication to calm you down a little at first to help you gain control of your life.
    Good luck and God bless you

Old 09-29-2008, 01:39 PM   #4
    berlingirl
    (female)

berlingirl HB User

Thank you all for your words. They made me smile and i will use them to hopefully turn this around. I feel like i am completely exhausted. I am ready to proceed with my life ... but this has been very difficult.

Closed Thread