It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Irrational Fear/Anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 09-29-2008, 02:55 AM   #1
    horizons
    (female)

horizons HB User
    Irrational Fear/Anxiety

For a few years, I have always had a fear or a gut feeling, that I would be murdered. It was always a fear in the back of my head, that I would die scared looking down the barrel of a gun as someone went on to kill me. I guess last Saturday it all came to a head when I was driving home late at night and noticed a car following me. We were in the middle of nowhere with no police departments, gas stations, or even mile markers. I finially lost the person once we got in the city, but now I'm extremely anxious and maybe even paranoid that something will happen to me.

I'm even afraid to stay home alone now. When asked what is making me afraid, I mention the "gut feeling" or "fear" that I will die in such a way. This has caused me to buy an alarm system (which I feel is inadequate for various reasons) and I wish I'd went with a professional company. Because of all this murder-fear anxiety I went online and learnt safety tips on how to keep myself safer and I also watched video on self-defense against and unarmed attacker as well as self-defense against an armed attacker. My problem is, I'm not in the best shape, I have knee problems and I don't feel that I'm physically strong. Even though I know how to defend myself and what works, I don't know wether I would actually be able to do it between my physical unfitness and the fact that I have never actually had self-defense training, all I've done is watched videos. Just because I know how to do something, doesn't necessarily mean I would actually be able to execute that thing. I've asked my family about the possibilities of enrolling in self-defense classes, but they all said it wasn't a good idea because of my knees and that its not something we have the money for. Could I even realisticaly be able to defend myself against an unarmed or armed attacker if I haven't had any formal training?

Anyway, all this has made me feel very anxious when I am home alone, and to a lesser extent, even when I am home with other people. I know I need to try to be safe in todays society, but I also know that I can't go on living my life in fear of being murdered every second of the day. I've tried some relaxation techniques such as thinking about other things and deep-relaxing breathing and none of it has been working. I've also tried talking to family, but all they've really done is laughed at me because I'm scared over "nothing".

Anything you could offer to help me be able to calm down would be very appreciative.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2008, 02:26 AM   #2
    horizons
    (female)

horizons HB User
    Re: Irrational Fear/Anxiety

Anyone have any answers?

Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 PM   #3
    rross9000
    (male)

rross9000 HB User
    Re: Irrational Fear/Anxiety

Well it certainly sounds like anxiety. It may be an irrational fear but it is a fear none the less. This will only be helped by certain methods, you should talk to your doctor and try some treatments suggestions and also talk to a professional for guidance. I think you may be surprised that this may come from another fear that you don't realize. there are medications that can help lower and even alleviate the anxiety that consumes you at times. All the best!

Closed Thread