It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Feel worse in mornings

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-03-2008, 06:14 AM   #1
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User
    Feel worse in mornings

Do any of you feel physically worse in the mornings? I find that the minute I wake up I have that panicky feeling that something is physically wrong because I feel so bad - naseaus, weak feeling and like I'm going to pass out - shakey and anxious - I've had my blood sugars checked which are normal. It's all I can do to get up and try to get ready for work. As the morning goes on (I will sometimes take a half of a .25 xanax) I will feel SOME better by afternoon, but it's usually not until late afternoon or evening when I will feel semi-ok. Mine doesn't stem from what I have on my plate that day or what I have to do that makes me anxious, it's the feeling of feeling so physically bad that worries me. Anyone???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
    mizzaj
    (female)

mizzaj HB User
    Re: Feel worse in mornings

I definitely feel worse in the mornings. It's usually about an hour after I get up though. I've started taking my klonopin at around 7:00am (after I've been up for an hour). I find that it helps to ward off potential feelings of anxiety. But like you, when I get anxiety attacks, or just extreme bouts of anxiety, I have the same symtpoms-- shaky, hard to breathe, slightly nauseous and like I'm going to pass out. Even though your blood sugars are normal, perhaps the fact that we haven't eaten in a while makes our bodies more prone to feeling anxiety in the mornings. I really don't know. Does this happen to you every day? For me, it's become quite frequent. I know what you're saying though-- my therapist will ask me, "What are you worried about when these things happen?" Usually I can't think of anything specific-- like you said, I might have extreme anxiety on a day that I have nothing going on. Maybe that's the problem-- there's nothing to distract us from the anxiety! But I agree-- often it's just the slight onset of symptoms that makes our mind go, "Uh oh!" and then the full blown symptoms follow. It really is a case of "which came first? the chicken or the egg?"

Well, best of luck to you! Hang in there. Take your medication and don't feel bad about relying on it. The way I see it, it allows me to functioin normally, and that's all i care about.....

Last edited by msmod; 10-03-2008 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 10-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User

For me I have discovered that it is the whole "unknown" factor that makes me feel worse in the mornings.

I subconsciously wonder what the day will bring and the farther the day gets along without anything bad happening, the more I am able to relax.

Lindaru

Old 10-04-2008, 06:11 AM   #4
    8monthslater
    (female)

8monthslater HB User

I usually feel worse in the mornings too. I open my eyes and my vision seems shimmery, I hear a humming noise in my left ear, my tongue feels scorched, and my breathing feels off. I have been taking Prozac for a month. It has kicked the depression I developed over these symptoms, but the low level constant anxiety that the doctors are missing something is always there.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:33 AM   #5
    DachshundLuver
    (female)

DachshundLuver HB User

Hi,
    I am 26 yrs old and in the past year my anxiety and panic attacks have gotten worse. Like you, I wake up anxious for no reason at all. I have butterflies in my stomach and rapid heart beat. After about 1 hour my mind gets off it & it goes away. However, when I get home from work the feeling comes back. My back hurts real bad, I am exhausted & I have heart palpitations which are intense and frequent. I have been given a low dose beta blocker. I'm not going to take it until my blood work comes back. Anyway, this is ruining my life & I just want it to go away.

Old 10-04-2008, 03:18 PM   #6
    VRL
    (female)

VRL HB User

I was blaming my morning anxiety on a drop of hormones (due to my surgical menopause situation this year). Since my doc started me on buspar and I take a good dose before bedtime I have not had the morning attacks. They used to strike me in the middle of the night too. Would subside as the day progressed and return at dusk. I had to get some medication because it was draining everything out of me.
    I wonder if the phenomenon has somehting to do with a drop in hormones or blood sugar or something else. But whatever the cause, it is real and gets old fast.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:52 PM   #7
    basal1999
    (female)

basal1999 HB User

i can relate to this, in my experience ALOT of people with anxiety have bad mornings, i always thought it was physical and started taking fibersure, beleive it or not, i felt MUCH better.

someone somewhere told me panic is in the pit of your stomach and suggested this to me, i think my yucky stomach linked to all the bad memories of panic, just like you say, the chicken or the egg, does this make any sense? give it a try.

kristin

ps i would also feel better and better as the day went on.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #8
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User

Lindaru...I think you might be onto something. Yes, I'm absolutely more anxious in the morning because I'm dreading all the situations I might need to face. Once my work day is nearly done (and nothing bad has happened) I feel I can do anything.

I'm writing this down on my list to talk with my therapist about. Last session we worked on tools to deal with bad days. I guess this one I'll call "How to Deal with Mornings"

This is just another reason why I love this board. Natty posts a good question/experience and it makes all of us think and do a little hmmm.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
    Lindaru
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Lindaru HB User

Glad I was able to shed some possible light.

I learn a lot about myself and what triggers what by self analyzing. I spend an hour a day when I can just meditating on myself, my symptoms and what links might be leading to what.

I am retired, so from 3:00 to 4:00 every day, I go lay on the couch, put my feet up, take my glasses off and close my eyes. Then I turn inward and think about what has happened so far that day and am able to discover some enlightening things. It is amazing how safe you feel with your feet up and your eyes closed. It allows you to think without the anxiety for a while.

I think this board is fabulous, too! I have learned so much here!

Lindaru

Old 10-07-2008, 12:29 AM   #10
    mandi77
    (female)

mandi77 HB User

mornings are the worst for me too. i work evenings for that reason. when i do work a morning i dread it because my anxiety is so high. i dont have low blood sugar or anything like that. i just feel empty when i wake. i start gettin normal around supper time.

Old 10-07-2008, 05:44 AM   #11
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User

Thank you all for your posts and input! last night I was feeling well enough to do some exercises at home while watching TV and actually thought that maybe I didn't need to see my doctor this morning since I was feeling semi-normal, however, upon waking up all those yucky feelings were there again so I KNOW I need to keep my apt. this afternoon and talk about things. I also felt a little sweaty early this morning and don't know why - I'm usually always cold. I want to ask the doctor about thinking "outside the box" if there is something they are missing - still struggle with the wondering "if they are missing" question. I'll keep you posted. And Violet - I will talk to the doctor about my dose of Lexapro and if it needs to be increased or switched to another med.

Diane

Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 PM   #12
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User

Natty...glad you knew what I was going to tell you ask your Dr.

Hope all goes well.

Old 10-08-2008, 05:44 AM   #13
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User

Yes Violet - he did increase the Lex to 10 ML. However, he also ordered a CT Scan of my abdomen and pelvis - being that I haven't had an appetite for so long and continue to feel yucky and tired so now I am nervous as ever! Please pray for me. I'm nervous about the CT contrast they give you - I have no idea if I'll be allergic to it or not - have never eaten shellfish in my life so I don't know! I'll let you know how it turns out - it's Friday morning at 10:30. Thank you.

Diane

Old 10-08-2008, 06:41 PM   #14
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User

Natty - my thoughts will be with you on Friday. Hoping all goes well.

Unfortunately doubling the Lexapro dose means you'll have to go through the side effects all over again. For me it was totally worth it and I hope all your efforts pay off in the end

Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
    negot
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User

I, too feel awful most mornings. When I wake up, everything feels empty and bleak and my anxiety level is very high. I've had severe morning anxiety for years, sometimes it is better, sometimes worse. Right now it is pretty bad. I don't know what I would do without antidepressants. All this anxiety feels like such waste of time because it incapacitates me and I am barely able to function.

Closed Thread