It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• SSRIs Versus Tricyclic Anti-dep.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-09-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User
    SSRIs Versus Tricyclic Anti-dep.

It seems that there are alot of side effects from SSRIs versus the tricyclic anti-dep. meds. I am currently on Lexapro and have experienced all the nasty side-effects of this med - loss of appetite, nausea, tiredness, spacy and increased anxiety so have to take xanax still. However, in 1991 when my anxiety first started, they put me on Pamelor/Nortriptyline which worked wonders for me. It gave me no side-effects whatsoever, brought back my appetite, helped me sleep and worked within 2 weeks plus I never had to take a xanax. I took the tricyclic on and off for the past 17 years, then early last year I took myself off it because I was feeling fine and then my symptoms returned early this year. I asked to go back on the Nortriptyline but the doctor pushed to have me take a SSRI-Lexapro and said that Nort. was "an old med" - but II told them that it worked for me! In doing further research and going to another doctor I found out from the cardiologist that I can't take Nortriptyline now because I do have palpitations (PACs) and the cardiologist said that it could trigger dangerous heart rhythms I was wondering if anyone had a similar experience with a Tricyclic working better than a SSRI?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User
    Re: SSRIs Versus Tricyclic Anti-dep.

Yes, I use to take Elavil (Amitryptline) a tricyclic, years ago. It worked fine for me, No side effects, just a little dry mouth, and made me a little tired after taking, took at bedtime. But, I cannot take it now, because I also have high blood pressure, with rapid heart rate, palps. I Absolutey, Cannot take the SSRI's, at all, they all make me incredibly sick, extreme anxiety, nausea, etc...the list goes on with these. Too bad, because I did so much better on the tricyclics, but that was yrs ago, before I started having palps and blood pressure issues.

Last edited by cvoor; 10-09-2008 at 10:33 AM.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:00 AM   #3
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User

Wow - that is very interesting that you had the same experience. Amitryptiline is in the same family as Nortriptyline. Like you, I had no side effects at all except maybe sleepy but it helped me sleep great! Now, since discovering that I have these PACs and low blood pressure, they said I couldn't take it so I'm stuck on the SSRIs. Thanks for replying.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #4
    GatsbyLuvr1920
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

GatsbyLuvr1920 HB UserGatsbyLuvr1920 HB User

Yes. I recently started taking Anafranil (clomipramine) for my OCD, and it's been a miracle. It even has helped my panic attacks! Over the years, I was on three SSRIs for my OCD and anxiety (Zoloft, Lexapro, and Prozac), and they didn't help at all, plus I was extremely tired on them.
    -GatsbyLuvr1920-

Old 10-09-2008, 04:41 PM   #5
    Natty44
    Inactive
    (female)

Natty44 HB User

You are so lucky you can take them! I so wish that I could - I had no anxiety or panic while I was on Nortripyline for years. Being on Lexapro hasn't helped and like you I am always tired and have loss of appetite still - even after 6 weeks. Good luck to you!

Closed Thread