It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• seroquel for sleep?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-12-2008, 05:58 AM   #1
    granny0
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

granny0 HB User
    seroquel for sleep?

Hi there,

I've been struggling with anxiety & depression for a while now. Been on one anti-depressant or another for about 4 yrs. I'm currently taking 100 mg Zoloft along with clonazapam for anxiety and ambien for sleep. I've been going through a rough patch lately and the doctor is having a hard time getting my blood pressure under control. I know it's the anxiety raising the blood pressure because my bp is fine if I'm not fired up over something.

Anyway, my doctor has added 50 mg of Seroquel to be taken at bedtime for sleep. It does seem to knock me on my butt and I am sleeping better, although during the day, I feel kinda weird. Seroquel is an anti psychotic usually prescribed from scitzophrenia and bipolar disorder, neither of which I have. I've read the info that came with the script and the side affects listed are pretty scary. My doctor wants to see how I'm doing with good nights sleep and controlled bp for awhile (doubled my bp meds).

Anyone else out there prescribed Seroquel for sleep or anxiety? I'm just curious what other's experience and dosage of this drug may be. I appreciate any replies.

Thanks!

JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #2
    shelly80
    (female)

shelly80 HB User
    Re: seroquel for sleep?

Hi there,

I haven't personally taken Seroquel, but my 2 of my family members have taken it as a sleep aid (not as an anti psychotic). It seemed to work well for both of them for the time they were on it. Not sure of the dosage, but it does seem that this is perscribed for multiple things including sleep problems. I only post about it because I was talking about it just yesterday with one of them.

Shelly

Old 10-13-2008, 01:51 AM   #3
    Hyper Typer
    (female)

Hyper Typer HB User

I also took Seroquel 100mg for awhile for severe anxiety. You're right it will make you sleep especially at first. The grogginess would also follow into the next day. However, my anxiety was to a point where that sedation was a good thing. I also was not prescribed it for bipolar disorder or psychotic disorder. I don't suffer with those either. It was only for the anxiety. There were times that it might have calmed the anxiety somewhat, but by no means eliminated it. However, I was thankful to have the medication for sleep. You probably just need to get adjusted to the med. Also, meds. list every possible side effect known to man if you are reading the full pamphlet. I had no problems with it and was probably on it for about a year or so. I also take Effexor XR 150 mg. for depression. The main med. that has helped my anxiety problem is an anti-seizure drug called Lamictal. That's not to say that I don't still have some problems at times, but nothing near what I suffered before. My disorder has been a part of my life on and off for nearly 30 years. Most of that time it was controlled with Prozac, but then it became so severe and affected me so often that I had to have real help. I found a psychiatrist that really cared and he finally tried the anti-seizure med. and it has changed my life. Most people probably wouldn't need that type med., but the disorder I have is believed to have been partly the result of a bad head injury in a head-on collision about 1 1/2 <BEFORE> all this began. Anyway, I would keep giving the Seroquel a chance because the more it gets in your system the more you will adjust to it and not be so groggy and feel weird. At least that was my experience. Hope this has helped somewhat. Best to you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by msmod; 10-13-2008 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Always use whole words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Old 10-13-2008, 05:57 AM   #4
    granny0
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

granny0 HB User

Thanks Shelly80 and HyperTyper,

The Seroquel is working for the insomnia, better than the ambien has lately - I've probably built up a tolerance for that. I used to have a hard time waking up and have been waking up before the alarm or my planned weekend sleep in

My doctor is very conservative with prescribing addictive drugs which is good,
    since I have an addictive personality. If you look up clonazapam, it's also listed as an anti-seizure or anti-convulsant although a lot of people, like myself, take it for anxiety. It's never worked as well as the more addictive xanax or ativan although I know people do have addiction problems with it (it gives me indigestion and makes me tired, that's about it) Funny, you'd think the drug info would list more than the main prescribing purpose, if the drugs are used so often for things other than the "main thing".

I appreciate your replies and will keep on with the Seroquel - it's good to hear
    that other's have had this prescribed for sleep. Thanks so much!

JB

Closed Thread