It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Zoloft, this stuff scares me !!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 10-30-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User
    Zoloft, this stuff scares me !!

From all I've read, this stuff sounds scary, real bad nausea, extreme anxiety, shakes, can't stop moving. I"m scared to even take the 1st pill.
    I have a very sensitive stomach, could not take some other ad's because of it, and I don't need more nervousness.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #2
    loggiesmom
    (female)

loggiesmom HB User
    Re: Zoloft, this stuff scares me !!

I have taken it now for almost 4 yrs. At first you will feel off and sick and dizzy and have bowl issues. It takes about 6 wks to adjust and then no problems. I take mine before bed so all the bad effects happen over night if they happen at all and i miss it and feel anxiety free all day. Good luck!!

Old 11-01-2008, 10:28 AM   #3
    lsmith1
    (female)

lsmith1 HB User

Dont be scared all anti depressants have side effects the key is to know they are just side effects and they will go away after a little while and you will start to feel better.

You can make it through the side effects. Just read up on them and know what they are. It might not be as bad for you as others, you just dont know until you try it. I have been on and off zoloft for years and it is difficult to get though the side effects but the end result is worth it!!!

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
    juststoppinby
    (female)

juststoppinby HB User

I was on Zoloft and experienced some of the side effects you mention. They go away after a few weeks. Make sure to let your doctor know if you experience the side effects. My doctor was very patient with all of my phone calls. She was very reassuring and made me feel comfortable. I have since been switched to Prozac and I had a few side effects but nothing major. All AD's have some side effects but you should adjust.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

I decided to take the plunge, and try it. Anxiety makes me scared to try anything. So far, I'm on day 3, nausea, headache, higher blood pressure, and tired. I also take a beta blocker for my blood pressure. I'm doing ok, not great, but still in there. It's not as bad so far, as the Paxil or Celexa. Time will tell.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:50 AM   #6
    jsfai
    Veteran
    (female)

jsfai HB User

I take zoloft too. Admittably a low dose but I havent had any side effects from it at all, not even when I first started...
    Hope it works for you.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:52 AM   #7
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

I take a small dose also. Only 25 mg. It is now day 4, still have the stomach upset, nervous stomach, and some anxiety, like at times, feel uncomfortable in my own skin, restless feeling, it goes away after a while. The late nights and early mornings are the worst, with the stomach upset, anxiety, left arm feels tingly, But I'm still hanging on, see how I feel in a few days.

Last edited by cvoor; 11-04-2008 at 06:54 AM.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:48 AM   #8
    sally48
    (female)

sally48 HB User

your doctor could give you some xanax for a short time to help keep you calm while you get used to the zoloft. That's what I'm using at the moment.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:07 AM   #9
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

I'm doing better today, day 5. I have never ever lasted this long on a AD. I still can't believe it, waiting for all hell to break loose, but it hasn't.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:04 AM   #10
    REDD998
    (male)

REDD998 HB User

It took about 30 days for me to feel the full affects of Zoloft.When I took Zoloft a couple of year's ago I was prescribed the 50 mg dose.After or around 30 days I felt a calmness.The problem was that the Zoloft lost its affect's and my doctor presribed a higher dosage.That was the wrong thing to do because low doses of a AD is best for Anxiety.I eventually cut back to the 25 mg dosage and felt better.After going on and off Zoloft I started to have some serious withdraw problems because I abruptly stopped taking it.I don't know if I would ever try another SSRI again because for me it was only a temporary lift for me.

Last edited by REDD998; 11-05-2008 at 08:06 AM.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:34 AM   #11
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

I'll hang in there, and see how it goes.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #12
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

Not too bad so far, into my 2nd wk.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:52 AM   #13
    sally48
    (female)

sally48 HB User

Good for you! My stomach hurt for about a week, but then got better. I've slowly increased up to 100 mg. Any side effects bothering you?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User

No, I've been pretty lucky so far. I also had the stomach problems, and headaches for about a week. I also had some increased anxiety, but better now. I've tolerated this AD better than Paxil or Celexa. I was scared to death to take it, especially reading all the scary posts on the internet, but took the plunge, and was surprised I was able to tolerate it. I told myself, if it got too bad, I would stop taking it, but it hasn't gotten that bad for me. I'm now almost thru my 2nd full wk, and have never lasted this long on a AD due to side effects. The only other one I took which was yrs ago, was Elavil, and was able to tolerate that one. I have relatives on Zoloft, that seem to be doing ok. I think they are on high doses, because they're shaky in their hands.

Closed Thread