It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Very scared about my bad cough!

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 11-12-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
    Very scared about my bad cough!

Please help. I am having major anxiety tonight. I have had a post nasal drip cough for 3 weeks. I can't get the cough stopped. It seems to get worse into the evening. I thought I was going to die. I had a major panic attack in the midst of all this at 4 PM today. Almost went to the ER. I was at the doctors this afternoon. He said my lungs sounded clear. He says its all post nasal drip and it is clear so he didn't prescribe anymore antibiotics. SO what I got was a steroid shot and some samples of the new allergy drug xyzal. I also got some prescription cough medicine with codiene which I will take soon. It has ruined my birthday, which is today. Now I am afraid to leave the house. My heart is racing and I have thought about having my husband take me to the ER. Why can't I get ahold of myself. I am afraid I am going to die from this cough. I am tired of living in fear. I feel like I am losing my mind. I only got 4 hours of sleep last night and I am worried that I am headed for a meltdown... I don't want to go on antidepressants or xanax. Any advice? Please help! Thank you!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
    joansartiers
    Inactive
    (female)

joansartiers HB User
    Re: Very scared about my bad cough!

You dont need anti-biotics. Anti-biotics are only used to treat infections, not coughs. Xyzal will only help with allergy symptoms, and a cough is not one of them. Take the codeine as directed by your doctor. It will make you rather drowsy and in some patients constipated but it will definetely help. You can also get cough suppressants to help suppress and control the cough. Stop worrying and goodluck =]

Last edited by msmod; 11-13-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: Removed uncalled for comment. Ms_Mod

Old 11-12-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User

Step one. Take a very deep breath. Exhale slowly. Talk to your doctor about dealing with your anxiety.

I had the same cough with bronchial spasms that made me think I was having a heart attack. Was I? No. It was an anxiety attack. I've pretty much had an EKG each year since my anxiety started. I'm prone to coughs.

Now with help from my doc and a recommended therapist (yes, and meds) I'm back to living again and not in constant fear of my own body as it ages.

Please, you do not have to live like this. You can get better. Don't I wish there was a silver bullet where we'd wake up all better. Sigh. There isn't.

Best wishes to you!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Thank you Violet! I appreciate your advice! I think it is sooo true what you said. I just need to take a big breath and exhale. I was completely in the midst of a major panic attack. I have had the cough for a good two to 3 weeks. I didn't take the antibiotics correctly, I stopped in the middle of the treatment because I am afraid of pills. It's part of the panic/anxiety disorder. Ugh! But I think something was spasming. It was all out on control. I felt like I was going to die. You may know the feeling. I haven't told many people because honestly, unless they have been through this they just don't understand. I am so very frustrated with the cough, and with the anxiety. I think I have developed a nervous cough too. My mom had that for months and it finally cleared up when she removed the stress from her life.

The codiene kicked in a couple hours after I took it last night and I slept through the night and didn't cough again till 2:30 PM this afternoon. Now it's going again but not as bad. I plan to take the codiene cough syrup again tonight. Lots is clearing from my nose that's for sure. Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate it!

Closed Thread