It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• How bad are your anxiety attacks? Symptoms During:

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-06-2009, 04:06 AM   #1
    anders15
    (male)

anders15 HB User
    How bad are your anxiety attacks? Symptoms During:

I'm wanting to start a thread to compare my anxiety occurances with others around the world in hopes of boosting my moral to fight this evil demon which has controlled my life for 2 years. Please take time to share your symptoms during an attack and what exactly you feel like during a panic/anxiety attack. I would really like to compare/contrast my attacks with others. Hope for replies

God Bless.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
    mlpbarrett
    (female)

mlpbarrett HB User
    Re: How bad are your anxiety attacks? Symptoms During:

Hi, I notice you haven't had any reply's yet...
    Well, the first panic attack I ever had, was so horrible I was actually blacking out. I luckily haven't had one that bad since.
    Anxiety has controlled my life since I was 15 years old, it is so hard and I don't think anyone unless a current sufferer can even begin to imagine how hard it is to live with it.
    I have not had one for about 8 months. It is possible to find relief from it, but until you realize it is just exaggerated feelings your body produces when nervous, the better you'll be. Get plenty educated about what a Panic attack actually is, so when you have one, maybe you can remind yourself that its not real, it's all in your head, at least that is what helped me..

Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #3
    alefever26
    (female)

alefever26 HB User

i have symptoms 24/7.. but i also have attacks where those symptoms are ten times worse... mostly it is a weird feeling in my head. i cant really explain it.. it feels like something is pulling my brain, i feel really spacey/floay/faint.. i keep getting these feelings in waves.. then i'll get the chills, like i have the flu or something.. i dotn really get a racing heart or short of breath anaymore, although that use to be my main smptom.. i've been dealing with this for that last 9 years. had man many extensive tests, and taken ssris.. paxil worked at first but i think i got on and off so many times i ruined myself... i just started back on paxil three days ago and if it works, i will not try getting off again...
    basicall i feel faint and weird with my attacks and they come in waves that can last all day or night. i hate it..its hell. literally, hell on earth.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:53 AM   #4
    monique19
    (female)

monique19 HB User

My god alefever! Your symptoms are EXACTLY what i've been getting for the past month its horrible. I finally went to the doctor today. I usually feel fine when i'm at home but when I leave the house its like wham everything looks weird my brain feels mushed its aweful. I'm starting on loxamine tomorrow so i'm praying it will help me somehow with it

Old 01-08-2009, 10:14 AM   #5
    seveppa
    (female)

seveppa HB User

My anxiety can go from a mild, daily thing to a full blown panic attack. I cycle through "quiet" periods when I have almost no anxiety and feel very close to normal to "high" periods where I generally feel anxious all the time - jumpy, nervous and on edge - and can easily slip over into full blown painc. My panic attack symptoms are:
    Upset stomach
    Feeling nervous, trembling
    Feeling light-headed, like I may faint
    Extreme fear, feeling of impending doom or that I am about to die on the
    spot
    Shortness of breath, feeling like I cannot take a deep breath or that I am
    smothering or that my throat is closing up and I am choking
    The need to run or get away from wherever I am
    Racing pulse
    Feeling like I am in a dream or that I am not real
    Feeling like I cannot think, like I have forgotten how to process thought

I have been suffering from anxiety for the past 10 years - I try not to think that I will be experiencing this forever, but there are days when I just cannot help but believe that these feelings will never go away.

Good luck!

Old 01-10-2009, 01:09 PM   #6
    ceg741
    (female)

ceg741 HB User

I have to say in response to Seveppa,my symptoms and thoughts are much like yours.
    My head will feel odd,will feel dizzy,on edge,will focus on a symptom or feeling and this will feed my negative thought.Feels like i cant get enough air,throat tightening,pins and needles,numbness in arms,back,sometimes my face,will shake,feel scared and feel im dying,feel i cant swallow,thumpng heart,left arm pain,feelings of unreality and the fear is immense.
    Sometimes i feel like this everyday without having a full blown attack but if i focus im done for.Its awful and scary but you really have to tell yourself its just anxiety.
    Another horrible thing is when you feel like this in public,this happens to me at shops when i have to pay,or even at social gatherings which is so impeding and embarassing.I have suffered for 15 years,i feel as if i know what is happening to me but cannot stop it,i learn to live with it as best as i can.
    Try not to fear the panic attack and control your breathing.Breathing i feel is the root of the symptoms.
    Takecare and i really hope you overcome this asap.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #7
    marcie23
    (female)

marcie23 HB User

my symptoms...

1. depersonalization - (feeling unreal or dreamlike)
    2. dizzy/lightheaded
    3. racing heart
    4. shortness of breath
    5. dry mouth
    6. numbness/tingling
    7. memory loss - (brain fog)
    8. sometimes shaking
    9. extreme nervousness or irritability

I've had this since childhood. I am now 45.
    I'm finally much better at learning what my triggers are and how to deal with them. Even without medication.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
    flyer99
    (male)

flyer99 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by seveppa View Post
    My anxiety can go from a mild, daily thing to a full blown panic attack. I cycle through "quiet" periods when I have almost no anxiety and feel very close to normal to "high" periods where I generally feel anxious all the time - jumpy, nervous and on edge - and can easily slip over into full blown painc

Wow, this describes me to a "t". I'll have really quiet, lovely days and then, BAM, I'll have a day, or days in a row, when I feel anxious continuously. Then I get the hot flashes, sweats, skipped beats, chest pains, pounding heart, pale face, dry mouth, the feeling of unreality. The more I concentrate on these the more I have. I am learning relaxation methods and they are beginning to help a lot. But, sometimes I'm too "wound up" to even get through those. Good luck to us all!

Old 01-16-2009, 08:15 AM   #9
    rose620
    (female)

rose620 HB User

This all sounds so familiar. I have been waking up to a racing heart with extremely high numbers on blood pressure reading (usually good numbers) along with burning on my back and chest. Does anyone have this burning? Last night I sure it was a heart incident, but luckily I'm here writing about it. ANyone else have this?

Thanks.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:13 AM   #10
    xblondeangel650
    (female)

xblondeangel650 HB User

When I get an anxiety attack,I get tachycardia and I feel like an elephant is sitting on my chest.My mind goes completely blank,I'll even see spots in front of me,my head feels so light on my neck.You can never die from having an attack,but it definately seems like you will at the time,pretty scary.I've passed out a few times in the past while in public,it was so embaressing.I have alot more control with my emotions now,I can feel when an attack is coming on,it's a matter of fight or flight.Talking to someone you trust,counseling,and the right medication can help you out in the long run.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:16 PM   #11
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

My attacks never last long at all, a few seconds the most, so i'm lucky.

But sometimes they are bad, and i just get this feeling like i can't move, like if i have to walk and there are people waiting for me down the road, i will start to get anxious walking and just feel the need to stop and check my shoes or something, or else i just feel like running away lol. Like whenever i'm ina crowded mall, i HAVE to walk on the side closest to the wall for some reason. I feel vulnerable out in the open.

I get them in the car pretty bad, and i just get that feeling, like i have to grab onto something tight and tense my legs. Then the heart starts pounding and you just start trembling. I remembered the longer they would last, the more other symptoms would show up, like voices would become distorted and would just feel spaced out.

I noticed what helps though is actually telling the people you are with when you are having one instead of trying to hide it, thats what always makes mine stop and i calm down. Not telling will just make you more anxious.

Now the normal everday anxiety symptoms i get without anxiety attacks are

1. Facial, ears blushing
    2. rapid heart rate
    3. blood pressure spikes
    4. dry mouth
    5. shakey hands
    6. trouble keeping eye contact

Last edited by Lourage; 01-16-2009 at 02:17 PM.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:44 PM   #12
    sandrajean2387
    (female)

sandrajean2387 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rose620 View Post
    This all sounds so familiar. I have been waking up to a racing heart with extremely high numbers on blood pressure reading (usually good numbers) along with burning on my back and chest. Does anyone have this burning? Last night I sure it was a heart incident, but luckily I'm here writing about it. ANyone else have this?

Thanks.
    I use to wake up with the racing heart and the burning body i think they call that the pins and needles sensation. I used to run to the emergency room all the time thought i was having a heart attack. I have been battling anxiety for almost 16 years. Not fun. I know how your feeling.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
    sandrajean2387
    (female)

sandrajean2387 HB User

Quote:
    Originally Posted by flyer99 View Post

Wow, this describes me to a "t". I'll have really quiet, lovely days and then, BAM, I'll have a day, or days in a row, when I feel anxious continuously. Then I get the hot flashes, sweats, skipped beats, chest pains, pounding heart, pale face, dry mouth, the feeling of unreality. The more I concentrate on these the more I have. I am learning relaxation methods and they are beginning to help a lot. But, sometimes I'm too "wound up" to even get through those. Good luck to us all!
    man you two sound just like me. I feel the same way. When I have a good day I always wonder is this what its like to feel normal? I don't have alot of really good days I'm anxious most of the time. I can't even work a full time job anxiety has taken over my life I miss out on alot of stuff because I'm afraid.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:50 AM   #14
    Remmepark
    (female)

Remmepark HB User

Hello, My symptoms are very similiar to everyone elses. My reaction to them also! LOL I've had 2 of these attacks in my life and was worried it may be heart related. It wasn't. The major symptom is the pounding heart, then sweaty hands and feet, I can breathe just fine when I choose to do so. I also feel like adreneline is pumping through my chest to my arms and my stomach, which probably is. Not being able to turn that off is just awful. Doesn't last long. I do get anxious about it recurring though. Viscious cycle you know. :-)
    I see many of you are veterans dealing with this! I'm glad I found you. I didn't seek serious long term treatment because it doesn't last that long and the attacks have been rare. Still I do not like feeling this way even for a second so I am going to look into it.

I was given Buspar when my Mom passed as needed the Dr said. It worked for me. But I only took it on occasion. Since it is supoosed to take a while to work perhaps just thinking it worked right away was enough! :-)

Old 02-14-2009, 12:24 PM   #15
    Aletam
    (female)

Aletam HB User

my attacks are much like most peoples, i believe. i <KNOW> that health issues is what starts mine for me, everytime i feel something or anything like that i get anxious and have to check out my symptoms online. sometimes not being able to check online really freaks me out and it causes me to have a panic attack. i am always anxious and thinking that <SOMETHING> is wrong with me even if i have no symptoms of anything. i have to look daily to see what symptoms to look for for certain things and to see if my symptoms are worth worrying about.<SOMETIMES> i go to look up my symptoms and realize that i have none. my most recent thing to be worried about was that i thought i was gonna have a brain aneurysm, for two months now i have been constantly looking to see what the symptoms are and what t do to prevet them. every time i am near a mirror i have to look at my eyes <BECAUSE>dilated pupils is a sign that you are going to have a brain aneurysm. i thought my pupils were dilated last sunday and it freaked me out. i think i had about 2 panic attacks per day the whole week this week and when i wasnt having a panic attack i was just anxious. one of my questions is is does anyone get tired after dealing with a drawn out bout of anxiety? my panic attacks just make me feel weird, my heart pounds i get hot y palms get sweaty and i just feel like i am breathing very heavily, usually i can just think and deep breathe my way out of it i have also noticed that i just want to be home alot lately now too, i am sometimes irritable and sad, i just do not know how to get this to stop.....

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-14-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: As per the posting rules always use whole, real, words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread