It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• New to constant anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-08-2009, 11:04 AM   #1
    markofkane
    (male)

markofkane HB User
    New to constant anxiety

It seemed to have started somewhat when I got new puppies after my older dog had to be put to sleep. I wanted to wait until after surgery, but my father wanted me to get a pup (then we got another after thinking it needed a companion)

The anxiety seemed to build to the time I was to go in for hernia surgery. I was in the hospital for 16 days, (the first surgery did not take, so they had to do another) getting out Dec. 16. Ever since, even after stopping the pain pills (Vicodin) after a couple nights because I thought it made my anxiety worse.

I was on morphine and other drugs for pain. Even though this is Jan. 8, i still suffer anxiety. It's like when you had a big sudden scare, and the feeling you have after the scare is over. But the feeling continues and there is nothing triggering it, that I know of.

I can get away from the pups and lay down, and I do get so tired, I go to sleep, however it's only for about an hour or 2, then I wake up with anxiety again.

I was recently started on Celexa, and also take Ativan, and Xanax, the Xanax seems to work better of the 3, but only a little.

I may have to have more surgery done, because something isn't right it seems with my hernia repair.

If only i could get over my anxiety (and depression, when I take Wellbutrin and Invega for) I could enjoy life, but I cannot enjoy much because my body feels like it's in the fight or flight mode (more a flight mode). I want to escape these feelings, because they are ruining my life.

I cannot see my shrink for a couple more weeks and I might be in the medical hospital by then for more surgery, and he won't prescribe anything else until i see him.

What can a person do? Go to a mental hospital and hope they can help me there? That would put my father (elderly) and brother (mentally disabled) at a great inconvenience.

Why is it you can get help for your body at an ER, but if it's your mind, there is no help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User
    Re: New to constant anxiety

I assume by "shrink" you mean psychiatrist...a doctor who can prescribe medications. That's all they do. You need a therapist as well. Insurance for therapists is rough. Those that are covered frequently have months long waits. Those that are not covered only get paid out at about 33% but no waiting lists.

I was in a really rough spot (agoraphobia) so I opted not to wait for an insured therapist. Best decision ever. Within six weeks I was back at work. Now 6 months later I would consider myself largely back to my normal self with only a little bit of anxiety left (fyi..also on medication). I did weekly visits during the phase where I wanted to jump start my recovery. Then bi-weekly and now I'm about to have probably my last visit until I need a refresh of my anxiety "toolbox".

It's a difficult symphony of providers to balance but it's necessary.

Best wishes to you!

Old 01-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Hang in there. I can tell from your post that everything going on in your life between the surgery, and taking care of your dad/brother is weighing on you heavily and causing the constant state of anxiety. The wanting to "go away" to a mental hospital just means you need a break from everything, like a vacation. But the worry about your dad and brother would just give you more anxiety, thinking you are not there for them.

Some people are just able to deal with stress better than others, and don't even think twice about things. Like you though, i always feel like i'm in that fight of flight state and just want to run away.. from my mind. A few times i wanted to be put away, not cause i felt like i was mentally unstable, just for the fact that i was just sick of the constant anxiety and worry.

It was only after seeing a psychologist that i realized i needed to stop seeing him and get on medication lol if that makes any sense. Like the previous poster said, it's hard to find a therapist in your insurance network, the one i found wasn't, and i wasn't planning on spending 175 dollars a week for months and months of trying to talk things out. Besides, going to see a therapist just caused me more anxiety about going to see him, and the constant thinking of " this is so not going to work" sounds to me you are already talking to someone? but the medication is probably not working, that or its causing you more anxiety! Thats right, many anti-depressants actually have a side effect of anxiety! isn't that great? You sound like you don't have time to wait for therapy to start working, by all means though, you should eventually talk to someone ,if your not already. But for now you should find a medication that helps for the time being, that will take the edge off, THEN start talking to someone. A two step approach. Thats what i need to do as well, it was too hard with no medication and just trying to talk to someone with the anxiety i have.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:31 AM   #4
    markofkane
    (male)

markofkane HB User

I do want to get away from my anxiety, but will going away help? Maybe for a bit, but i still will have it.

I thought about going away so maybe they could give me something for my anxiety.

I am hoping to get an appointment with my psychiatrist a week earlier, I still got surgery to worry about too.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

So get your surgery done first, then worry about taking care of the anxiety. You wouldn't want to start some new medication anyway right before a surgery, you'd most likely have to stop it before depending on what type of anxiety medication it is before the surgery.

I'm in the same boat as you, not so much about surgery, but i'm waiting to hear if i have tumors on my adrenal glands, so i can't take any type of anxiety medicine until the end of the month after i find out, lol meanwhile i'm going crazier by the minute! I laugh about it now, but i really do feel like i'm going crazy. Funny though thats it's only when i'm alone with my thoughts that it always bothers me, when i have time to think about everything. same with you?

Last edited by Lourage; 01-11-2009 at 09:27 PM.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:37 AM   #6
    markofkane
    (male)

markofkane HB User

Thanks, but I don't know when I'll be scheduled for surgery, and when I was in there before, they gave me my meds for depression.

I don't think I could last very long without getting the help for the anxiety.

It's stifling, I cannot sleep much, and I cannot focus, I feel like someone that took an overdose of speed.

If I have to, I'll go into a mental hospital first, then worry about the surgery later, if needed.

Closed Thread