It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Flying anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #1
    NSTTDC2
    (male)

NSTTDC2 HB User
    Flying anxiety

I would like to say first of all that I am not scared of flying. Everyone I have tried to talk to about this has assumed that I am despite me telling them otherwise.

I've flown lots before and still fly relatively frequently. I've been pretty much round the world (Australia and back), and to several places in North America and Europe, so I know exactly what to expect on flights.
    However, last summer I suddenly became pretty anxious about flying. About a week before I went to Toronto, I dreamt that I died, and without realising at the time I related it to the flight. I've flown a few times since then (just to England which is an hour flight), but I still get anxious, and when I'm away I can't get the flight home out of my mind. I was only in Toronto for four days so I thought about it pretty much all the time. It nearly ruined the trip and whilst I have some good memories about it I'm pretty bummed that I couldn't get the flying out of my head.

I don't know why I'm anxious on planes again. I used to be scared of flying but the huge amount of flying involved in travelling from the UK to Australia, for lack of a better word, cured it. Now I'm always paranoid that something is going to happen during the flight, but I wouldn't say that I get scared per say.

Can anyone give me any advice for managing this? I'm travelling to the US in the summer and I don't want this to ruin the trip.

Thanks.

EDIT - Also, the past few days I've had phases where I've been despairing (maybe a bit strong, but it feels like that), about everything. Even things that aren't causing me any problems like college deadlines or anything. This sort of thing happens every few months or so, and if it happens on my trip it will ruin it. Who do I speak to about this?

Last edited by NSTTDC2; 01-11-2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: More info added.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread