It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Weaning off beta blockers

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-15-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
    lewlew
    (female)

lewlew HB User
    Weaning off beta blockers

I've just started weaning off beta blockers

quite an educational experience.

I don't think i've sweated so much in my life!!
    even my toes are sweating.

this is weird as my toes don't usually get above about negative 5 degrees lol

it's like i'm running on my own adrenal speed

eating everything in sight.

anyone got any encouraging words to get me through to my next hit tomorrow morning lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 07:42 PM   #2
    violet312s
    (female)

violet312s HB User
    Re: Weaning off beta blockers

Oh goodness gracious weaning off beta blockers is horrible!!!! The key word is TAPER and GRADUAL.

I went from 100mg Toprol twice a day down to 12.5mg at night. Take it extremely gradually and talk to your doctor. Reduce your dosage about 25% for two weeks, another 25% for two weeks, etc. Very, very gradual. I made the huge mistake of dropping from 100mg to 50mg per dose and I thought my heart was going to crawl out of my chest.

Recommend you seek out advice on the High Blood Pressure board on this site as they have lots of tips on tapering. They helped me a lot when I was going through this.

And no, I'm still not free of them. Had to go back to 50mg at night as my BP was not properly controlled in addition to other medications I'm taking.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
    writeleft
    Inactive
    (female)

writeleft HB User

Which beta blocker are you refering to, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 01-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
    lewlew
    (female)

lewlew HB User

It's Betaloc CR 23.75
    Was given them to control heart palpitations and night sweats and general ants in the pants.
    I'm told these are common symptoms of an adrenal overdose in the system
    I have to say they were amazing. I don't think my heart has had a party even once while I've been on them!!
    Went or if I do manage to wean off them, does anyone know of any natural calming remedies that actually work??

Closed Thread