It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Does Anyone's Body Burn During Anxiety Attack

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
    rose620
    (female)

rose620 HB User
    Does Anyone's Body Burn During Anxiety Attack

Have been burning on my back, legs, chest, sometimes lips and arms.
    It feels like I have a bad sunburn.

Do you have this problem?

Rosie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
    ema78
    (female)

ema78 HB User
    Re: Does Anyone's Body Burn During Anxiety Attack

Hello rose , i get the same burning feeling all over my body. It's like your really sunburn but your not. I take zanax when the burning is bad. It usually relieves that sensation. I 've been on lexapro for a few weeks now and hoping it will kick in soon. My anxiety has been really bad lately!

Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

It's your blood pressure shooting through the roof same thing happens to me. Which is why i now have OCD when it comes to my blood pressure and checking it all the time.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #4
    bluebelle39
    (female)

bluebelle39 HB User

Actually the burning sensation is nothing to do with your blood pressure. It is infact caused by the adrenaline in your system and other chemicals which are relaeased by the brain as your adreniline levels run low. Its totally harmless and nothing to worry about. If you dont make an issue out of it, the burning passes within about 10 - 15mins as things start to settle down, but the more you panic about it .. the more chemicals you release so the burning continues.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #5
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

You sure? everytime i get that sensation i think it's my BP skyrocketing, the red face, red ears, feel burning like pins and needles. So of course that make me more anxious. A few times when i checked it during one of these episodes it was pretty high bp.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #6
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

It definitely feels like a rush of adrenaline like you are saying. But i always thought increase in adrenaline= increase in BP during the fight of flight mechanism.

Last edited by Lourage; 01-18-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:28 AM   #7
    bluebelle39
    (female)

bluebelle39 HB User

I can say without any doubt it is. You ask a person who just suffers with hypertention and no anxiety if they get burning.. they will say no not at all. I my self suffered with high blood pressure when I was having my second child and had no symptoms what so ever other than feeling slightly light headed. Yes your blood pressure will go up when your feeling anxious, but thats totally normal and part of the fight or flight response. But the burning sensation is caused by too many chemicals rushing round the body. People who only have the odd panic attack dont experience the burning as its linked with too much adrenaline and the body not getting enough down time in between attacks. When the body starts to run low on adrenaline it releases others chemicals to susbstitute and its the mix of chemicals that causes the burning. Its nothing to worry about and as I said before if you dont panic about it, it susbsides quickly.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
    SxzJaazyra
    (male)

SxzJaazyra HB User

I think that Bluebelle 39 gave a very accurate comment in her last post. I used to experience this burning feeling, very intensely throughout my whole body, but mainly in my back. It felt like "fire" washing over my back, I didn't know that if I would have calmed down about it, it would have gone away. I discovered that the answer to ending it for good, was to calm down. This answer came as I laid down to meditate. I was actually trying to get to sleep, since I hadn't slept for a day and a half. I managed to get calm and the feeling went away, but I stopped meditation because I hadn't fallen asleep, and it came back, even worse. I had the thought come to mind, that I should tell myself that it feels good. Amazingly enough, the feeling turned from "fire" to "water", I know this probably sounds strange, but it happened. I never felt the "fire" again. So to me, the explanation of it being because of a chemical reaction, makes sense. When we experience different emotions, different chemicals come into play, so since I went from anguish to pleasure, the chemicals had the change required to get away from the painful feelings incurred by all the anxiety I had been experiencing. It really is mind over matter, cause we can choose to pursue ways of getting away from anxiety. I'd have say that one of the most helpful ways to get away from anxiety is to do something that you enjoy, every day. Make it a habit. Also, take time out of your life, to acknowledge your good qualities (No Matter How Small They Are) In the same light, take time out of your life to acknowledge the good qualities in others (even if it's someone you hate) Smile, because if you do, it's just one more thing that will make you smile, lol. There are plenty of things in life to smile about, you just have to make sure that you look for them. It's a skill that is worth pursuing!!! Maybe some health balls will help (yin yang balls) it's a form of physical meditation, which distracts the mind from what it is doing, and can allow us to think more clearly about what needs to be figured out. Another thing is EFT (Emotional Fitness Training) one of the techniques taught is "tapping," like when a person taps their fingers because they're bored. It helps them to focus on what they're doing.

Sometimes I read out loud, to me, it can let me experience the book (or whatever I'm reading) more, and gives me a way to experience emotions that I wouldn't have experienced otherwise. Plus, it gives me practice, practice for how to talk to people, since for a long time, I was a recluse. I've noticed a great amount of improvement in my ability to hold a meaningful conversation with others. I used to be to shy, so shy that I couldn't even say "hello" or when someone I had just met was leaving, I was too shy to say how I felt, which was "It was nice to meet you!" I've found cheerfulness, instead of anxiety. I hope this helps someone, because it certainly helped me. Take Care!

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-19-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Don't post or offer to post website addresses as this violates the board rules and can lead to banning. Thanks, Ms_Mod

Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
    bluebelle39
    (female)

bluebelle39 HB User

What is said here is verry true!! Mind over matter works... Why? mainly <BECAUSE> its your mind thats causing the issue in the first place Just think... if the mind can cause so much pain/stress/anxiety with just a negative thought.. then surely a positive thought would have the opposite effect!!... Calm/relaxed/happy The fact is that there is no mystery to anxiety and all its symptoms. Its caused by nothing more than negative thoughts.. thats it just thoughts.. once you start to recognise the thoughts and start to adress them with more common sense responses, your anxiety will start to diminish. Given time and practise you will be able to learn to spot the negative thoughts so quickly that they wont have time to form a reaction. CBT is the best thing for anyone suffering with an anxiety disorder as it teaches you how to deal with your thought patterns and a more positive way. Meds are also a good way to help get you on a more even keel so you can better deal with CBT and concelling to get a grip on the problem.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-19-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 01-19-2009, 11:58 AM   #10
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Interesting bluebelle. So you just think in my mind i'm thinking " oh my gosh, i'm turning red, my bp must be spiking" Which in turn is just making me stressed out even more and causing my BP to spike up?

That would explain why sometimes i feel fine and my BP is spiked. And other times when i feel "hot" and it's actually low.

Last edited by Lourage; 01-19-2009 at 12:03 PM.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #11
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

Yes, Lourage - I think that is exactly what is happening with you. I think you are having a panic attack and then equating it with having high BP.

I've had that fire feeling wash through me sometimes when I'm convinced I'm about to fall over and die from panic. It rarely hits me out of the blue though - more like something with occur to me, scare me and then it will wash up on me like a wave and then just burn - mostly in my belly but down my arms as well.

I was unable to take Lexapro because it intensified that feeling. The second I would get sort of anxious/panicky it would spread through my body like I had just drank icy-hot. It typically is not that bad and the second my body starts to prickle I can "make" myself calm down (probably just because it's happened so many times and I'm not dead yet, so I figure I'm ok )

Old 01-20-2009, 07:54 AM   #12
    bluebelle39
    (female)

bluebelle39 HB User

The best way to describe it is your mind running on two levels not one. Its like having 2 personalities in one head. Thats why we tend to get that feeling of not being in control, almost as if someone else takes over. The reason for this is the two levels of the mind. The concious and the subconcious. The concious being the part of brain that deals with thought and day to day tasks, while the subconcious deals with running the body and mind. The subconcious sadly in people who suffer from anxiety seems to be more like a insecure child with its responses. Constantly over reacting to situations in a very scared childlike manner. All the time the concious brain strugles to make sense of this insecure childs ramblings.The fact is that the subconcious brain will actually send you thoughts, some times at such great speed ,your not even aware of what caused the negative reaction. Your body and brain are so used to this stream of rubbish that they dont conciously hear it anymore and infact its more like an emotion rather than an actual thought. This is why people seems to have sudden rushes of anxiety without ever noticing the actual negative thought.
    Ive done CBT myself plus reseached loads and read many self help books. I can recomend one particular book which will explain everything above in more detail.
    Self Coaching.. How to heal Anxiety and depression.. by Joseph J Luciani
    Its available in both the UK an america in paperback form so its not expensive.
    Most anxiety has a hook. By this I mean something that will be a constant trigger, BP for you seems to be a hook. Other people may find its large crowds or small spaces . Its just your hook.. learn to control the anxious response and the hook will no longer have its power.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:28 AM   #13
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

That makes perfect sense about the conscious/subconsious mind. An example is when i was put on the beta blocker metoprolol, it would slow down my heart, but when i would get anxious i will still get that"racing heart feeling in my mind, and when i would check my heart it would be beating nice and slow.. but my mind is so used to it racing that when i panic i still think that it's racing.

Yea bluebelle, BP is just another hook in my anxiety saga. it's the newest one actually. I also have social anxiety. It's like my anxiety goes through stages, cycles, then repeats. I'm on the hypochondriac stage right now.

Old 01-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #14
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have the burning thing too with my anxiety. I have felt like my face and ears were sunburned. I even woke up with one where my neck was throbbing hot pulsing sensations. I had my hubby drive me to the ER in the night. Come to find out the Icy hot I had rubbed on my neck for pain earlier in the evening had activated in the night when I had a night sweat. I had forgotten to wash it off. It set me off into a major panick attack. But I do get the hot feeling without the icy hot too. UGH!

Closed Thread