It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• anxiety after drinking?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
    IrishSaint
    (male)

IrishSaint HB User
    anxiety after drinking?

the night before last i got really drunk with my friend and then last night while i had a hangover i had a really bad anxiety attack, i havent had one in months and ive been drinking since i turned 21 in july. the panicky feeling has carried over into today and i dont know what to do. im worried that it could be a brain tumor or something. is what im feeling normal and somewhat common? and is the only way to cure this to stop drinking altogether???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #2
    IrishSaint
    (male)

IrishSaint HB User
    Re: anxiety after drinking?

im really scared

Old 01-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Same thing happens to me after a heavy night of drinking. Don't worry about it, you will be better by tomorrow. it's the price us anxious people have to pay for a night of partying. Our bodies go crazy trying to rid our body of the alcohol and not using it's energy to calm our bodies from anxiety. My heartrate is usually high the next day and i get a feeling of impeding doom, and just a weird feeling out of my body experience.

Old 01-16-2009, 01:58 PM   #4
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Whats wierd with me though, is i actually feel calmer when drunk, and don't have any panic attacks then! Even though my heartrate is soo much higher, and my body physically feels anxious, my mind always remains calm. But then the next day sobering up is bad, especially if i don't get enough sleep, recipe for severe anxiety.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
    IrishSaint
    (male)

IrishSaint HB User

yeah it started last night as my hangover begun to subside i started feeling anxious. when i get anxious i get a weird dreamlike state feeling. like im not really myself its hard to explain but its horribly scary.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #6
    IrishSaint
    (male)

IrishSaint HB User

yeah when im drunk im calm. sober im anxious. plus i only got like 5 or 6 hours of sleep so when i woke up i was still slightly drunk.

Old 01-16-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Yea i get that feeling too, it's known as depersonalization. Sometimes i'll be watching TV and get this weird feeling and feel like i'm not myself, then i start thinking about stupid things like "am i going insane right now? is this what it feels like to go crazy?" Then i start forgetting to breathe and bug myself out and have to get up and start moving around. Really make sitting down to watch a movie tough when that happens. It's like you forget who you are for a second!

Old 01-16-2009, 02:32 PM   #8
    IrishSaint
    (male)

IrishSaint HB User

yeah its a really scary feeling. when my anxiety is bugging out i feel like that almost constantly, like if im doing something to keep my mind occupied i can sometimes feel normal for a few minutes but the anxiety hits me in waves.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:20 PM   #9
    IrishSaint
    (male)

IrishSaint HB User

i also noticed that when i get this anxious feeling it is accompanied by depression and lack of energy and slight dizzyness and lack of appetite and my stomach feels extra gasey and bloated. whats wrong with me??? is this a sign of something else besides anxiety?

Old 01-17-2009, 07:27 AM   #10
    case50
    (male)

case50 HB User

Mate, it goes with the territory, often the pain afterwards isnt worth the pleasure before, but many still do it, I try to drink water n between a drinkin session and sod the remarks, it stops the anxiety an blues at least to a degree, and yes its stating the bleeding obvious, best wishes

Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
    boobo0
    (male)

boobo0 HB User

My best advice is that if your doing something that is causing anxiety, it might be best to stop doing it. Your certainly not helping what ever your underlying issue is by continuing to drink.

Might be blunt, but it's true.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:34 PM   #12
    IrishSaint
    (male)

IrishSaint HB User

yeah but im not really sure what is causing it. i havent had any alcoholic drinks in like 3 days and i still feel anxious. like right now for instance im starting to go into the derealization zone. i hate this so much. is medicine really the only way of making me better because i wish that wasnt the case. this feels scary.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #13
    boobo0
    (male)

boobo0 HB User

I stopped drinking 15 yrs ago because of this, I couldn't function as a human if I continued to live that type of lifestyle.

I know your not happy with whats going on (I mean who is), but we must play the hand we're dealt. You have to tackle this head on.

I think getting away from that lifestyle made me a better person, so there's a chance you might find a silver lining in all of this

I wish you good luck.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:11 AM   #14
    GodHand
    (male)

GodHand HB User

When I go drinking, the entire next day I'm full of anxiety and my blood pressure is fairly elevated (into the 140 range). At this point it's not worth the evening of expensive fun for a full day of anxiety following it.

Old 01-20-2009, 05:38 AM   #15
    ZissouDoll
    (female)

ZissouDoll HB User

IrishSaint - i think the same things. i have lost count of the times i thought i had a brain tumor. it's totally normal to think these thoughts when<YOU> experience anxiety. i have been experiencing bad anxiety since new year and i think it's to due with my alcohol intake. i keep saying to myself that i will stop drinking but when i am in a place where there is alcohol i think "i am not going to let my anxiety rule my life" so i have a drink and then regret it. its really getting to me know as im 20 and i feel like im not living my life. my friends go out drinking in town but i don't go as i find the whole thing quite stressful. while their out enjoying themselves, im in my room watching dvds. it can get quite lonely. i have an eye test <TOMORROW>(just routine) and foot appointment and im feeling really anxious about it and thinking of cancelling. but then i think, no, im not going to let this rule my life. also, i find thinking of a character from my favorite programme, Green Wing, helps me relax as he is funny and takes my mind of the stress.

Hope this helps

xxxxx

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-20-2009 at 02:47 PM. Reason: As per the posting rules, ALWAYS use WHOLE words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread