It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Examination Stress, Insomnia, Can't stop thinking, whats wrong with me?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-25-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
    Anguished
    (male)

Anguished HB User
    Unhappy Examination Stress, Insomnia, Bad Dreams, Can't stop thinking, Whats wrong with me?

Hey Everyone,
    A great forum!! Damn, didn't landed here earlier.

I'm not sure whats wrong with me. Here is what I'm going through.

1. Test on 24th December 2008
    I prepared for this test for a few months. On 23rd night, I was unable to sleep. Its like thoughts won't stop coming in my head. I took 1.25mg Alprazolam and then I slept at 2am. Next day I was okay, till the test started, I was excessively worried and was hyper. In the end, I screwed up two sections out of four.

2. Test on 4th Jan 2009
    Another major one. On 3rd night I was unable to sleep till 3am, no matter how hard I tried I was unable to sleep. Strange thoughts would keep on pouring in my brain, sometimes I was in space ship, sometimes I was on top a hill, all absurd stuff, but they won't stop, the harder I try sleeping the more deeper these thoughts would prevail. So, I took zolpedim 2.5mg and slept somewhere around 3:30am. Got up at 8am, and I need 8hrs sleep to feel normal. Next I took Modafinil 100mg, so that I won't fall asleep during test, and as I thought previous night, the test was screwed.

Now when I'm cool and I analyze the test paper, I get all the answers right with 99% accuracy.

Problems which I face:
    1. I can't sleep no matter how hard I try. It takes me more than 4hrs to fall sleep once I hit the bed. I maintain all sleep hygiene but all in vain. Sometimes even 5mg of Zolepidm can't knock me down.

2. I feel sleepy and lazy all day, I also yawn a lot.
    3. I lack attention, and I cannot concentrate.
    4. I get anxious, and thoughts won't stop flowing, its generally about my career, and future.
    5. Bad Dreams do comes in at times and gets me off the sleep which I got somehow, next I can't sleep and my head keeps on aching.

I ain't much depressed nor do I feel bad about anything. Its just that I don't feel right about anything.

Doctor's advice:
    I was into some sort of depression in mid 2008. Doc gave me Mirtazopam. The med was too strong for me, so I discontinued it and concentrated on other remedies to be stress free and not depressed. I took some good Multivats and did some exercise, and I was out of depression.

Next for sleep problems, I was advised Zolepidm. It does make me fall sleep, but it doesn't makes my brain stop thinking.

Alprazolam was also advised, it was okay but it caused severe constipation, so I have a big no no for this drug. Moreover it doesn't work that well.

I'm 24yr old and already feel at times I've lost it.
    I would highly appreciate if someone can help me with my problems. I have another test coming up in 2weeks and I don't wanna screw it.

Thnx

Last edited by Anguished; 01-25-2009 at 02:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 AM   #2
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
    Re: Examination Stress, Insomnia, Can't stop thinking, whats wrong with me?

As you note..you are simply significantly stressed so this is where you need to experiment with how to help yourself. Don't just lay in bed ruminating on the test...get up and do something to keep your body and mind occupied. Put yourself to work puttering...oh like...Clean house/your room or exercise run in place or situps ..whatever or turn on the tv for distraction. Whatever you can do to wear your body out to sleep would be better than staying in bed. On test day perhaps you just might resign yourself to the fact you just aren't going to sleep and keep busy.? Everyone is so different. There is no easy answer but I am pretty sure the medicines are not helping you so try something else. Sometimes just a cup of warm bedtime milk/chocolate will help you fall asleep. Good luck.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:04 PM   #3
    Anguished
    (male)

Anguished HB User

<THANKS> for the reply AnnD,

I was wondering, with my symptoms can I try Lorazepam?
    If yes, what should be the ideal dose.

<THANKS>

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-25-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: As per the posting rules, please use whole words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Old 01-27-2009, 02:14 AM   #4
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Lorazepam is a great drug to use when you need it in low dose. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:47 AM   #5
    Gia029
    (female)

Gia029 HB User

I have tryed Lorazepam-1mg. It was prescribed to me for anxiety. For some people it helps them sleep, for others it just helps them relax. I would suggest 25-30 mg of Temazepam. Take it the night before your test, it should put you to sleep...however I have had nights where I still couldn't fall asleep after taking one.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:48 AM   #6
    Gia029
    (female)

Gia029 HB User

what type of test are you having?

Old 01-27-2009, 05:31 AM   #7
    alikat709
    (female)

alikat709 HB User
    Re: Examination Stress, Insomnia, Bad Dreams, Can't stop thinking, Whats wrong with m

Hey ,
    I am thinking you should have your thyriod levels checked ask for free t3 and free t4 and antibody levels, SOme of your symptoms could be thyroid related, many doctors dx people with depression when in fact its an underlying thyroid dissorder. after you get your labs go on to the thyroid board and post them. kathy

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-27-2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 01-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #8
    kungfujoe
    (male)

kungfujoe HB User
    Re: Examination Stress, Insomnia, Bad Dreams, Can't stop thinking, Whats wrong with m

hey im 24 too and i have all the similar things that <YOU> go through...and i was on on mirtazapine as well. I worry about my future and career constantly and strange things enter my brain all the time...i would recommend exercising and eating healthily and get a lot of protein in your diet. I supplement protien in the morning and b vitamins and work out alot and that calms me quite a bit. Exercising makes you smarter too so that would take care of the tests!

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-28-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: As per the posting rules, always use whole words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Old 01-29-2009, 02:21 AM   #9
    Anguished
    (male)

Anguished HB User

Great to see all the suggestions there. Thanks a lot.

I tried Lorazepam.
    First night I took 1mg (halved a 2mg tab). It got me to sleep in like 1hr. But the worst part was next day's headache. It didn't subside until late evening. I decided not to take the pill that night.

Next, yesterday I took 0.5mg (halved half 1mg). I kept on doing some stuff on computer, talked on phone and then slept at around 1am. The sleep was amazing, no disturbance no wakening up in the middle of the night/sleep. Today, I don't have any headache and I feel all energetic and great. I'm able to concentrate and my head is working for sure. This one surely is a great durg.

The test which I have is somehow related to my career, so I was all tensed up. Now, I'm bit easy and relaxed, feels good!

Thanks again!

Closed Thread