It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Got some propranolol

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 01-26-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User
    Got some propranolol

Had my nephrologist switch me from my Metoprolol to it, as it should help more with the sweats, turning red, as the metoprolol only helped with the racing heart. Thing is i been taking the metorpolol for 6 months, he said it's safe to just stop taking them and start the propranolol tomorrow,but i'ms till worried. I will be taking them everyday as i also drive myself crazy and have BP spikes, so i'm not just taking them for anxiety. thing is, i'm worried about just stopping the metorpolol will cause me withdrawals, like super fast heartbeat, and or heart attack, even though the doctor told me it will be fine, i still worry. Plus i'm scared about lifting weights while changing the meds, as if it makes my heart weaker, something can happen. I shouldn't worry right?

I was taking 50 mg of metoprolol twice daily. They gave me 80 mg of propranolol and told me to split the pill so i'd be taking 40 mg twice. daily. Should the prop take over right where the metoprolol left off and i should be fine? I also just started taking Effexor 75 mg a week and a half ago, so hopefully this one-two combo will help me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User
    Re: Got some propranolol

You are replacing one beta blocker with another, so it shouldn't cause any problems with rebound hypertension. Chances are, you will probably worry for a few days during the switch and this might cause your BP to go up a bit, but I'd bet you'll feel fine after a few days.

I've taken propanalol and during the day it works great for me. As in, there really is a sense of calm. Unfortunately it makes me extremely insomniactic. My Dr. says normal people get a little sleepy on it It also brings my blood pressure down pretty fast. I was only taking it for spikes/panic attacks and I would often find my BP in the 95/65 range a few hours after taking it - my doctor had me on 80mg twice a day though. I found that was WAY too much for me, so I started splitting it and taking the 40mg.

I think it will work well for you Lourage. No worries on switching from one BB to another. Relax into it.

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-27-2009 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Removed part of post that refers to a discussion on another board. Ms_Mod

Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #3
    AnnD
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

They are chemically very similiar so you can stop one and start the other. The Effexor should help you with all that worrying you are doing which in turn will hopefully stablize your heart rate. Good luck.

Old 01-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #4
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Thanks for the replies I ended up taking it this morning. I'm on no sleep though.

About sleep...it just keeps getting worse and worse! I didn't fall asleep last night until 8 am this morning. I was laying in bed for like 7 hours. I don't know if it's the effexor, but i't's like i will be tired, but then i lay in bed and just can't fall asleep no matter what!

I'm going to my docs today and going to ask her about Trazodone to take before bed. Think thats a good idea, or are the effexor, propranolol and that a bad combo?

Last edited by Lourage; 01-27-2009 at 11:39 AM.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

zekat, you weren't kidding about it lowing bp fast. I checked mine like an hour later, and it was 125/62. Then i just took it after finishing a workout, and it was 150/60, pulse 80. Thats a weird reading for me, i never had systolic so high, and my diastolic so low. Anything to worry about? or is it cause i took it right after a workout? What concerns me if my diastolic is THAT low right after a workout, what would it be if i'm just sitting around and not even anxious? Think even 40 mg is too high? or give it a few more days before thinking about a dose change?

Last edited by Lourage; 01-27-2009 at 02:13 PM.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:51 PM   #6
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Me again

Well, the doctor doesn't want to give me anything for my sleep yet, also i couldn't even remember the name of the trazodone and kept calling it zitradon, so she didn't know what i was talking about. But then she mentioned xanax, and maybe trying that in combination with the effexor xr and propranolol, if the effexor xr doesn't start working in about a month.

I told her i have felt fine on the effexor, so she wants to increase my dose to 150 mg. it's only been a week though, and that seems a short time to up the dose, but i read if it's tolerated well, it cane safely be increased to 150. So tomorrow i double up on the 75mg of effexor pills i have, then when that runs out get a script for the 150's.

Also wahts a good time to space out the propranolol? taking 40 mg twice daily. i read anywhere from 6-8 hours. My docs really didn't say, just morning and night. But i know some people take that dose 3 times daily, so it can't be every 10-12 hours.

Old 01-28-2009, 05:29 AM   #7
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

The 150/60 reading after exercise is probably normal. There is a lot of information out there about how the systolic increases during exercise (it can be normal for it to go into the 200's) while the diastolic stays low. Ask your doctor though - I bet s/he would reassure you on that point. And, I think increasing to 150 would probably be a good idea. Your anxiety over you BP comes through clearly in your posts. I wished so badly someone could give you the reassurance you need to feel better about it. Hopefully the propanalol will start helping you feel calm. Oh - and take the xanax for sleep!!! It should help a ton. Getting sleep seems to fix sooooooooooooooooooooo much! One of the worst "cycles" in my life was kicked off from lack of sleep after my son was born. Sleep deprivation is no joke.

Also, <FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH> - when I was taking propanalol, I was dosing around 9am and 5pm. I'd suggest you take a xanax - maybe .5 around 8-9 and that should help you a lot with sleep!

Good luck - I think you are going to get this all under control. I really do!

Last edited by ms_mod; 01-28-2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: As per the posting rules, always use whole words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #8
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Thanks for all the advice zekat, i really appreciate it. Also the help on the BP forum on here. Not sure if you read but i don't have a pheo ( which i knewwas just anxiety!)

Yea, i know i would feel 100 times better if i got a full nights sleep! it's like even when i do fall asleep, something wakes me up, like my dog to go outside lol. Here is an example from my last night sleeps;

go into bed at 3 am
    Lay in bed toss and turn until 5 am
    fall asleep at 5 am
    wake up at 8 am
    lay in bed until 8:45
    fall back to sleep at 8:45
    Dog wakes me up at 10 am to go outside
    Get back into bed 10:10
    fall back to sleep until 12 pm
    wake up

It's not healthy at all to not get a full nights sleep, especially for us people with anxiety. PLUS the fact i exercise alot, so between the anxiety, exercise and not sleeping my body must be stressed out to the max.

I've actually taken .5 xanax in the past for anxiety and it didn't do anything for me. My old doctor told me to try taking two, that didn't work either, then i tried 3, lol still felt the same. I think i need a HUGE dose, but i don't want to be zombified the rest of my life Same thing happened with klonopin. Maybe Valium or Ativan might be better? I'm really curious about trazodone. I'm starting to think i might really be immune to all anxiety meds lol.

Last edited by Lourage; 01-28-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Closed Thread