It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• flashes of scary images in my head

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-02-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
    anna*jane
    (female)

anna*jane HB User
    flashes of scary images in my head

maybe im crazy. and ive never told anyone this but sometimes, especially when im already feeling anxious, i get a flash of a scary image in my mind... i have a weird phobia about eye-surgical related stuff, it makes me sick just thinking about it and sometimes an IMAGE related to that(like an eye ball being disected)will flash in my head and i literally have to look down close my eyes and concentrate on something so it wont happen again. or sometimes its when im driving, and i envision my car going out of control and off the bridge in front me....and this makes me even more anxious! because i never know when its going to happen again. ive never done lsd or anything like that! anyone ever had this or heard of it?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User
    Re: flashes of scary images in my head

You might see what you can find about "intrusive thoughts". I think they are fairly common with OCD... which can be similar to anxiety as well. There is such a fine line between the two at times. There are therapies to help, and I think some meds.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:40 AM   #3
    AuntieLeela
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

AuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB UserAuntieLeela HB User

Having OCD or anxiety disorder is like having an alarm going off in your head for no reason. Imagine living in a house where the fire alarm went off randomly, day and night, for hours or even days. Besides the frayed nerves, fear from not knowing when the next alarm will come, you'd be physically exhausted as well.

In OCD you can "quiet" this alarm momentarily by checking/obsessing but like an addiction the more you do it the less it seems to work, resulting in more and more complex behaviors. In anxiety disorder the brain tries to "find" the source of the mystery alarm (phobias can develop from this) causing unnamed-fear anxiety and intrusive thoughts. Almost like your brain is saying, "Is it this?! What about this? This is horrible, is that it?!" The less you react emotionally to the disturbing images, the quicker they'll dissipate. It takes some time to learn how to not react, especially when the thoughts are bizarre or gory, a self help book on anxiety or a therapist might provide guidance and speed up the process.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
    starsmom
    (female)

starsmom HB User

These are just the kind of thoughts i'd have on a very regular basis. Had I known they would lead me to have a full blown anxiety disorder I would have sought treatment a long time ago. Looking back it all started within the last year and half after the birth of my son. I could so vividly see something bad happening to someone close or my son and could honestly picture myself at a funeral. I never told anyone about my thoughts either. I wish I would have. These days, i'm so full of anxiety I don't think about those things anymore, just the anxious ones that goes with high anxiety. Now I just worry about my constant state of well being. I would honestly reccommend to anyone who has these kinds of thought seek out some professional help. Don't let these thoughts lead to worser things. Now, i'm not saying this is the case for everyone, but it was for me. I wish I'd been diagnosed alot sooner.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:06 AM   #5
    Sk30081978
    (female)

Sk30081978 HB User
    Wink Re: flashes of scary images in my head

hi in the beginning i would also get images. i still do. <ARE> <YOU> suffering from depression.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-17-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: As per the posting rules, Healthboards is to be used in the English Language only. No text message, chat room "words"

Old 02-18-2009, 01:47 AM   #6
    starsmom
    (female)

starsmom HB User

Yes, I do believe there is some depression that led up to the anxiety problem

Closed Thread