It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• can anxiety cause a burning sensation?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-05-2009, 08:40 AM   #1
    marlow
    (male)

marlow HB User
    can anxiety cause a burning sensation?

Hi, everyone. I'm new to this board, but have a question and would appreciate some insight. About 18 months ago, I had nose surgery that turned into a complete disaster. I was very stressed out for maybe six months. Over the last year, I've developed this sunburn-like feeling over much of my body. I've tried to figure out why I have this sensation, but all the tests come back normal. There are a few things that could be causing this, but I can't figure out what it might be. Sometimes I wonder a bit about anxiety. I don't feel terribly anxious, but I have been somewhat stressed out in general for about the last two years. Does anyone out there who is anxious have similar symtoms? My sunburn feeling is a 24/7 deal. Any advice would be great appreciated. Thank you. - Marlow

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
    Looly
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
    Re: can anxiety cause a burning sensation?

Hi Marlow. I too have that sunburned feelling often and in my case it's anxiety related. Burning skin is listed on a long list of anxiety issues. Sorry you're suffering too.

Old 02-05-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

Are you on any medicines?

Old 02-06-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
    marlow
    (male)

marlow HB User

Looly, thanks for getting back to me. Does your sunburn feeling last all day, even if you aren't terribly anxious? I wake up with mine, which is a stressful way to start the day... Zekat, my doc just put me on 50 mg of Amitriptiline (sp?) as he thought that would help with the burning sensation. Prior to that I was on a statin for my chorlesterol and some rounds of antiboitics for some sinus surgeries. Thoughts? Thanks! - Marlow

Old 02-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

I'm just thinking that if you don't feel particularly anxious that it's probably not a side-effect of anxiety. I've had a burning sensation sweep over my body before, but it was during a full-blown panic attack. I doubt there is anything gravely wrong with you, but I can see how annoying it would be to have this sensation all of the time. My first inclination would be that it's some type of medicine, which is why I ask. I'm not really familiar with what types of meds that might cause a burning sensation, but I think I'd start there if I were you. Bottom line is don't start buying into the idea that it sounds like your doctor is giving you... that it's just anxiety. Sometimes that's a code word for "I'm not really sure, but I don't want to admit it and you seem to be buying the anxiety bit, and this isn't a serious problem, so I'm not going to push it".

Now, if you really are an anxious person, and you've been dealing with anxiety for a while, I think it's worth listening to your doctor (and family members who know you). But, if you are getting the sense that your doctor is trying to brush you off, I'd suggest you find a different doctor and get to the bottom of it so you can get some peace of mind. Worrying over the strange sensation can definitely lead to issues with anxiety (nice how that cycle feeds on itself, huh?)

Much luck to you!

Old 02-06-2009, 06:45 PM   #6
    marlow
    (male)

marlow HB User

Thanks so much for your great feedback. To be honest, I'm kind of on the fence about my anxiety level. I mean, I've definitely had a fair amount of stress in my life during the last 18 months. No question about it. I have a stressful job, and experienced a disasterous surgery. But I'm able to work, to set my stress aside (at least I think so) and get through the day. I don't know. I'm worried that I have this awful thing called RSD, and I don't know if that worry is leading to some of my symptoms, or if my symptoms are a direct result of this RSD deal. Sorry, I'm rambling... What's weird is that even after a couple of beers (when I feel relaxed) my burning sensation persists. So, if this burning is produced from anxiety it's going to be tough to get rid of, as even when I am relaxed for periods of time, it persists... Your thoughts on medication are good. There is no question that certain meds cause burning. And I've been on a few of them. So that could be my deal. I have no idea. Just trying to get from one day to the next at this point. Thanks so much for your feedback. Have a nice weekend. - Marlow

Old 02-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #7
    starsmom
    (female)

starsmom HB User

I first got the burning sensation with my first panic attack. It seems like ever since then I get it occassionaly. Like right now. I woke up to the sound of my baby crying and I think I may have just had another panic attack. It is subsiding now though. I can be doing nothing and just feel it sweep over my upper body.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-07-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 02-07-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
    marlow
    (male)

marlow HB User

Once the burning sensation starts out (after a panic attack) how long do you feel the burning? Do you feel it all over? I may have a small panic attack or two per day, but my burning is weird as it continues all day. Thanks!

Old 02-08-2009, 03:16 AM   #9
    starsmom
    (female)

starsmom HB User

My burning is usually around my chest and neck area and usually comes and goes throughout the day.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:16 PM   #10
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

I was getting the burning a few times a day. My face, ears, and middle of my chest would also turn red and be hot to the touch. At the time i was taking a beta blocker called metoprolol. Two weeks ago i switched to a beta blocker called propranolol and have not had ONE episode of this burning feeling since then. I'm also on effexor and i think that has helped also. it really hasn't helped with my anxiety yet ( been on it for 3 weeks) but i definitely notice a lowering in some of my OCD tendencies, like to worry about that burning sensation, blood pressure, things like that have gone down. I was getting them a few times a day, and sometimes for no reason! even when i was sitting in my room alone!

Last edited by Lourage; 02-08-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #11
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

I also noticed it would happen and EXTREME times of worry. or being scared. heck it would even happen when i would be startled, like if i dropped something. I would feel the heat sensation come over my body.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:56 PM   #12
    camille092000
    (female)

camille092000 HB User

Yes anxiety can cause a burning sensation. You can get flushed at the chest, neck and ears. If the burning sensation is in your chest without any of the redness it could be acid reflux tool

Hope <YOU> feel better soon.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-09-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: As per the posting rules, always use whole words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Old 02-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #13
    marlow
    (male)

marlow HB User

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. That's good information for me to have. My burning is a bit wierd as it's over most of my body. By the end of the day it can be really painful. I've had all sorts of tests and they can find nothing wrong with me. The only thing I can think of is that the stress of my job is causing me anxiety which is giving me this symptom. I tend to wake up with it and it's with me all day, which isn't fun. After another test or two, I'll try a med to settle me down a bit. Thanks! - Marlow

Old 02-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
    marlow
    (male)

marlow HB User

Thanks, Starsmom, for your feedback. I appreciate it. It's good for me to hear that other people out there also get the burning feeling when they are stressed out. I hope that everything goes well for you and your little one. Best wishes. Marlow

Old 02-09-2009, 05:51 PM   #15
    zekat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

zekat HB User

Have you tried a benzo yet or anything? In a very real way, they can sort of be like therapy. I used to worry that I was having a heart attack (classic panic attack type deal). The sensation would hit and I'd freak, take a xanax then 30 minutes later, I was miraculously "healed". It didn't take too long for me to realize there was NO WAY I was having a real heart attack or else the symptoms would still be with me. Soooo - if you were to take xanax/valium or something similar and found that the burning sensation went "away" you might be able to attribute your symptoms to anxiety. It's worth a shot! This was precisely the reason my doctor gave me xanax, and it worked. Eventually I freaked less and less when the sensations would hit and after some time, I just quit paying attention to the symptoms. It's been years since I've taken xanax on any kind of regular basis (and even then it was only as needed and it rather small doses). But, my doc is kind enough to give me a few every once in a while.

It is definitely the tendency of an anxiety sufferer to "assume the worst" as you have with worrying about RSD. Do you find you have other symptoms of this ailment besides the burning? If it's possible you've been on meds that have caused the sensation, then I would think that is a more likely culprit considering you've actually ingested meds that have been known to cause the sensation in other people. Either way, you absolutely deserve some answers - having to live with such an annoying sensation should not be expected of you. Keep it up and you'll get your answers and eventually find some peace... it's just gonna take some perseverance (yeah - I butchered that word, but hopefully you got it )

Closed Thread