It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Xanax

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-17-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
    amarti41
    (female)

amarti41 HB User
    Xanax

Hi I just start xanax .5mg once a day which was given to me at emergency room.. I only needed in the morning because that when my anxiety is at the worst. I was wondering how is too long to take xanax because is very addicted . I been doing better on it. Its only been my third day. I am also paxil 20 mg, 2.5mg of buspar 3times a day , and lotrel 5/20 for high blood pressure. I was wondering how long anybody has taken xanax without becoming addicted to it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
    Graciecat
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

Graciecat HB UserGraciecat HB User
    Re: Xanax

Hi,

It's been sometime since I posted here, but I do read the boards daily.
    I took Xanax back about 5 years ago.
    I no longer take it because I know longer suffer from Panic/Anxiety problems.

What you have to keep in mind is that everyone is different and they can only tell you what their experiance with this drug is, nothing is written in stone when it comes to any medication.

I took 1 quarter MG twice a day every day for 7 years.
    In all that time I never so much as took a crumb more.
    When I no longer needed it I weaned off ( with the help of my Dr. ) with no problems at all.
    For me it was a lifesaver, and when I say that I truly mean it if I hadn't taken them I don't know that I'd be here right now, living my life with my Husband and kids perfectly happy.

People that take any medication and have success with it, very rarely share their stories, it's usually the horror stories you hear.
    Whether it be Xanax, Paxil, Zoloft or some other drug nobody can tell you exactly how YOU will react based on their experiance.

I have a couple of horror stories of my own, but I see no need to post them.
    I just feel that just because I had a hard time with something doesn't mean someone else will.

I will give you a little advice that my Dr. gave me when I started the Xanax.
    He told me just because the bottle said that I could take "X" amount "X" amount of times a day DID NOT mean I had to take that much.
    He said if I could take less that was wonderful, but to never, ever take more.
    He said that if at any time I felt like I needed more to stop, call him and we'd figure something else out.
    But as I said I never took more, in fact I was taking less than the prescription was written for.

Keep in mind this is just my story, and that's all I have to give.
    I can't tell you what you're experiance will be.
    I know people who have...or in some cases still do take Xanax and it's been many, many more years than I took it and they still have never had a problem.
    I also know people who took it for a very short time and and built a tolorance to it, or dependence on it.

So long story short, follow your Dr.'s instructions, don't take more than the prescription is written for, if you ever feel you have to take more, don't just call your Dr.

Good luck to you

Last edited by Graciecat; 02-17-2009 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Because I can't spell!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #3
    shelly80
    (female)

shelly80 HB User

Hi there,

When I took/take xanax, it really never became a problem for me. Back when my anxiety was at its worst, I would take .5 every morning when I woke up (since that is when I had the worst panic attacks). I did this for a few weeks until my panic attacks started to subside. That was last summer.

I actually used it again for the first time in forever last night to help me through a little anxiety scare while trying to get to sleep.

I've never felt addicted, I've never had trouble stopping. Maybe I don't take enough to keep it in my system long enough to get addicted. Everyone is different, but it certainly has helped me through some tough times.

Shelly

Old 02-17-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
    kkww40
    (female)

kkww40 HB User

My story is...I have been taking xanax 0.5 mg once or twice a day off and on for the past 10 years. For the past four years I have definitely took 0.5 mg a day though my prescription allows for two which sometimes I have to. This medication...like the above poster said was really a lifesaver for me. It has helped me in all aspects of my life from work to family to marriage to self. It helps keep me calm and I am able to sleep at night which is extremely important. My psychiatrist keeps me on this dose and doesn't have a problem with it because it was absolutely the only thing that worked for me and I tried many, many different meds. I've never increased the dose or felt any need to. The amount I take has always worked.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #5
    amarti41
    (female)

amarti41 HB User

I read other people who have post that sometimes doctors do not want to give xanax. I have appointment tommorrow with my doctor to see if she will give me prescription for it. It has really help with my anxiety. Has anybody had trouble getting prescription of xanax?

Old 02-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #6
    kkww40
    (female)

kkww40 HB User

I have never had a problem in 10 years

Old 02-18-2009, 06:38 PM   #7
    amarti41
    (female)

amarti41 HB User

Thanks for all your replies. I been taking xanax .5mg once a day since saturday when it was prescribed in the ER. Do you think that are any side effect or withdrawal symstoms from either tapering or stopping xanax since I been on it a short time. I was suppose to see my doctor as follow up after visiting the Emergency room on saturday but I cannot get into see my doctor till 2 weeks and I be out of xanax by then. Should I cut the pills in half that way I have enough till then?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated

Old 03-01-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
    touchofgray
    (male)

touchofgray HB User

Hi. This is my first post on any health forum. I was first prescribed xanax in 2005 after suffering a severe panic attack. I was a mess. My friends, family, therapy and Xanax saved my life. I feel I was one of the lucky ones.

However, the anxiety and panic still comes like a wave, ever so often, without any warning. As you all know, it's like a Pandora's box. Once you experience a severe attack, it can easily happen again. But once you understand it better, you can control it. I take .50 when I start to feel a bit tweaked. It works like a charm.

If you drink, my advice would be to try and wean your self off alcohol and see if the panic subsides. Anxiety usually occurs in the morning for drinkers because your body is quickly trying to repair and replenish itself. This sends you into fight or flight mode. If you must drink, enjoy one or two, then drink plenty of water before bed. NEVER take xanax with alcohol, the effects make you very dopey.

And don't worry so much about becoming addicted to Xanax...otherwise it may send you into a panic attack!

Last edited by touchofgray; 03-01-2009 at 11:59 PM.

Closed Thread