HealthBoards

HealthBoards (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Anxiety (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/)
-   -   Does Ativan help you? (https://www.healthboards.com/boards/anxiety/671986-does-ativan-help-you.html)

wrkgirl 02-18-2009 07:34 AM

Does Ativan help you?

My dr. wouldn't prescribe me Xanax because he said it's too addicting so he gave me Ativan and I was wondering how well it worked for people and what your side effects were?

dlindquist83 02-19-2009 01:58 AM

Re: Does Ativan help you?

My dr also would not prescribe xanax because he calls it "brain candy." I was given 1mg Ativan tablets to take 1/2 to 1 before bedtime. When I take them it makes me very tired. I refuse to take them unless its about to be bedtime. I had valuim before and he refused to let me have more of that even tho it was working well because he said its brain candy too. I have yet to find out what I should do. My anxiety just sprang up out of nowhere a month ago and gets VERY bad the week before my period.

j2006 02-19-2009 04:17 AM

I take .5 mg during the day and if needed .5 in the evening. I don't reallyhave any side effects.

lonelygurl2 02-19-2009 09:03 AM

[QUOTE=wrkgirl;3889532]My dr. wouldn't prescribe me Xanax because he said it's too addicting so he gave me Ativan and I was wondering how well it worked for people and what your side effects were?[/QUOTE]

I find that very strange because Ativan/lorazepam and Xanax/alprazolam are from the same family of drugs the "benzodiazepines". So they have the same addictive properties.

I have been using Ativan/lorazepam for years and it works well for me. I have 1mg tablets but usually only take a half a tablet,but ocassionally will take a whole one.

It works well for me in calming me. At first they used to make me sleepy, but I've been taking them so long they don't bother me at all now. I used to take them on an as needed basis, but now I take half in the morning and half in the afternoon. I am on two other anti anxiety meds as well as an anti depressant for depression and anxiety.

catlover82 02-19-2009 11:43 AM

Lonelygurl: I thought the same thing. Ativan is just as addictive as Xanax. Doctors like Ativan and Xanax because they work like valium, but you don't need as much of it.

I have a prescription for Ativan, but I only take it when needed. Since I've been in counseling on a regular basis and now that I'm on wellbutrin I find I don't really need them anymore. My mother was put on ativan for her anxiety that came with a seizure disorder and it worked well for her, and I don't think she had very many withdrawal symptoms, so everyone's different.

markofkane 02-20-2009 04:35 AM

Ativan did not do much for me. I take Klonopin.

It helps.

lonelygurl2 02-20-2009 06:59 AM

[QUOTE=catlover82;3891174]Lonelygurl: I thought the same thing. Ativan is just as addictive as Xanax. Doctors like Ativan and Xanax because they work like valium, but you don't need as much of it.

I have a prescription for Ativan, but I only take it when needed. Since I've been in counseling on a regular basis and now that I'm on wellbutrin I find I don't really need them anymore. My mother was put on ativan for her anxiety that came with a seizure disorder and it worked well for her, and I don't think she had very many withdrawal symptoms, so everyone's different.[/QUOTE]

Yes, it is just as addictive. I have to take it daily now because my anxiety is so out of control and I'm in the middle of med switches.....I never realized out bad the withdrawls were until I had taken a few more than I was suppose to and ran out. It wasn't fun. Felt like I was crawling out of my skin. I think it depends on how much and how often you take it. Before I was only taking a half maybe once or twice a week but now a pill a day makes it more addictive.