It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety symptoms started a month ago week before period...

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-19-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
    dlindquist83
    (female)

dlindquist83 HB User
    Question Anxiety symptoms started a month ago week before period...

I started getting severe anxiety problems exactly 7 days before my period started in January and I've never had anxiety in my life. I also have acid reflux that I take medication for.

I've noticed both last month and this month my anxiety type symptoms are about 10 times worse during the week before my period. I get moody and feel like something REALLY bad has happened too. I have no pain just the weird feelings that make me shaky and feel as if I cant catch my breath. Could this be related to a problem with hormones?? I have a gyno appointment but they can't see me for another month. I am about to have my period anyday now again and the past 2-3 nights i've been a total mess along with the shaky, not able to fall asleep, heart pounding and racing, feeling like I cant breathe thing again.

What do you think??

(I've been tested for heart problems etc, I am only 26. Everything came back negative and several drs told me I am in great health, practically my entire body has been scanned in some way and nothing, including 13 blood tests and 2 cultures lol.)

Last edited by dlindquist83; 02-19-2009 at 01:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2009, 05:04 AM   #2
    olives
    (male)

olives HB User
    Re: Anxiety symptoms started a month ago week before period...

hi, well obviously youre a female, and <YOU>mensiond you were 26, so that should mean <YOU>have been getting <YOUR> period since <YOU> were sayyy 12?.. if anxiety recently started. it shouldnt be "because of that" but it can trigger the symptoms of your actuall anxiety .there seems like something else is bothering <YOU>.. for example i would be having anxiety about whats gonna happen to me in the next week or something. but something like a muscle cramp or a headache will bring on my symptoms and i would catch an anxiety attack.. its all chain reaction with anxiety disorder. and its tricky to figure out why <YOU> have it. im not a doctor im just giving <YOU>my advice.. i had anxiety since i was 11,, im 21 now and still have it.
    wish <YOU> the best!
    Take care ..feel free to ask questions.

Last edited by msmod; 02-19-2009 at 07:12 AM. Reason: As per the posting rules, always use whole, real words in your posts. Ms_Mod

Old 02-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #3
    sassy040
    (female)

sassy040 HB User

Yes, I did the same thing! Regardless of what your Dr. says, tell him/her to test your hormones when you are feeling your worst, then test them again when you are feeling better and see what the numbers are. If I would have done this, maybe I wouldn't have let this turn into a panic disorder. At least try this

Old 02-20-2009, 10:14 PM   #4
    catlover82
    (female)

catlover82 HB User

I always have an underlying sense of anxiousness when I'm not on medication, however, the first three days of my period I'm anxious to the point of being petrified about something, but I'm not quite sure what. I've had my hormones tested and the only thing out of whack seems to be my testosterone level, which my doctors have indicated looks like PCOS.

I haven't had a period since the wellburtin I'm on has kicked in (I'm EXTREMELY irregular and can go 6 months without having one), so I'm hoping that helps. And like you the anxiety during my period only started this past fall (although I had been on paxil for 5 years so it might have started earlier if I wasn't on AD's).

Anyway, my suggestion is to get your hormones tested like the other posters mentioned and if everything is fine perhaps some counseling might help you develop some coping strategies? And if the anxiety pattern doesn't stop and it's not hormones, maybe look into a low dosage of an anti anxiety medication like ativan or xanax taken during that time?

Hope this helps!

Closed Thread