It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• dr prescribed SSRI.. do not want to take

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #1
    vital
    (male)

vital HB User
    dr prescribed SSRI.. do not want to take

A little about myself:
    -tried Paxil and Zoloft for social anxiety in past (did not like due to side effects so stopped)
    -currently on Propranolol 10mg as needed and is happy with it
    -was prescribed Lexapro due to constant night sweats recently (doc says might be caused by increased stress/anxiety and beta blockers will not help)

I feel that my anxiety doesn't bother me THAT much to go back on SSRI's. I'm also afraid of the risks and side effects that come with SSRIs. I often hear people on here saying they go on some SSRI and then feeling worse or when they need to stop they get withdrawal symptoms. So I'm thinking.. Why take the risk of being dependent on SSRI if my anxiety is not THAT serious? It's also going to cost me $35/month which is another bill I don't wanna pay unless I really need to. I'm thinking about just continuing using Propranolol as needed and deal with the night sweats by exercising and doing relaxation techniques I learned in CBT more often. Is my logic reasonable or should I do what the doc says?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #2
    lonelygurl2
    (female)

lonelygurl2 HB User
    Re: dr prescribed SSRI.. do not want to take

You say you didn't like the side effect but you don't say how long you actually took the medications. Most of these medications come with side effects but once your body adjusts to the required amount the side effects are minimal to none.

When taking these meds worrying about getting off of them isn't usually something I worry about. Since I've been told with my disorders I will have them for life and I need the medication. I am in the middle of a medication change and I don't like it, but for the most part it is managable. Only you can decide what you can live with. There is too much hype around people needing these types of meds. We don't critize diabetics or <PEOPLE> with high blood pressure ect. that need medication. Why do <PEOPLE>feel it is okay to critize <PEOPLE>with a brain disorder???

These medications alter your brain chemistry and are designed to help you better manage/cope with your life. Only you and your doctor can decide and obvisiouly from what you've told your doctor he/she feels the need for medication far outways the outcome of the side effects that over time do wear off.

Last edited by ms_mod; 02-22-2009 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 02-22-2009, 12:18 AM   #3
    vital
    (male)

vital HB User

Adding SSRI to my life is something I would really like to take seriously and at least do some sort of cost-benefit analysis. It's just that right now even though I think SSRI's may help, I'm not sure if it's worth taking it if I can function normally and perform my daily tasks with only the aid of beta blockers on an as needed basis.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #4
    catlover82
    (female)

catlover82 HB User

Vital: I was pretty much had the same opinion as you when I stopped taking AD's last spring. I honestly thought i was coping well, however, things just got worse and worse and my psychologist asked me "is your general state of being something you can live with?" meaning is my background level of being good enough for me? I decided it wasn't and started taking AD's again (I was on paxil and didn't want to go back on an AD for the reason you brought up -- I didn't want to deal with the side effects). I began taking Wellbutrin and it's been wonderful. I honestly haven't had any side effects from this drug (well bad side effects: I found my digestive system started working better than before) and I can't believe how wonderful I feel (even better than I felt when I was on paxil) and when I look back I realize I wasn't really "ok" when I wasn't on the medication.

So, only you can make the decision as to whether or not you want to try AD's again: think about your general state of being and figure out if it's something you can live with or not. In the end it wasn't something I could live with, so I went back on AD's. You need to figure that out for yourself.

Good luck!

Last edited by catlover82; 02-22-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Closed Thread