It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Beta Blockers - experiences?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 02-24-2009, 10:05 AM   #1
    shelly80
    (female)

shelly80 HB User
    Beta Blockers - experiences?

Hello all,

I have a doctors appointment today and was wondering about people's experiences with beta blockers. I want to talk to my doc about possibly starting me on some. My panic attacks are pretty much under control with my antidepressant (thank goodness) but lately I've been having heart palpitations/heart fluttering and my anxiety has spiked tremendously because of it. Bad cycle since I know worrying about it is just making it worse.

My aunt is on Inderal and said it might help me, that she has had these same heart symptoms from anxiety and too much adrenaline in my system. She takes a very small dosage daily along with her Celexa.

Has anyone had good luck with a beta blocker? Are there adverse side affects at a low dosage? Is it safe to take if I often have normal blood pressure and normal heart rate? When I get nervous (which can be anything from a knock at my door at night to my boss calling me in his office to talk) my heart rate goes horribly fast and sometimes pounds so hard it hurts. It really goes up and down. The only constant right now is the palpitations and its making me crazy with worry and fear.

Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
    jlosunday
    (female)

jlosunday HB User
    Re: Beta Blockers - experiences?

I have been taking Beta blockers for several yrs for the same reasons and find them very helpful. I havn't experienced any side effects but can definitely tell if I miss a dose.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
    cvoor
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

cvoor HB User
    Re: Beta Blockers - experiences?

I take Toprol (beta blocker) and Zoloft. I have high blood pressure, and it helps with the rapid heart rate, and palps.

Last edited by cvoor; 02-24-2009 at 11:46 AM.

Closed Thread