It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• vicious cycle of bed time anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-05-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
    ozzeran
    (male)

ozzeran HB User
    vicious cycle of bed time anxiety

I believe that may be my problem.

Happened one Sunday night a little over a month ago, I was sitting on the couch watching t.v. and out of the blue right at bed time my heart just started racing and I got fidgity, I blew it off and went to bed, I was up most of night fighting sleep because of racing heart beat, unsure where that anxiety came from. Ever since then I have had problems sleeping badly, seems I can't get over it. For some reason I have it in my head that I can't sleep even during the day, so at night it's there, I will lay there tired as can be and somewhere around 6am I fall asleep and wake at 9am to start my day, this is starting to catch up to me now and I can't stand it. After hours doctor prescribed Ambien which I took once this week and it made me sleep from 12:30am till 9:am, felt rather refreshed but felt weird all day, so I didn't take it again. I am actually going to my primary doctor tommorow morning about it to see what he suggests. It's a very scary annoying vicious cycle that has gotten out of hand. Just so sad you can delve into deep thoughts about how you are not going to sleep, well guys sorry for the story, but it sucks, but ya'll know that

The Following User Says Thank You to ozzeran For This Useful Post:
    ns0912 (06-09-2012)
    Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
    dreamingdenali
    (female)

dreamingdenali HB User
    Re: vicious cycle of bed time anxiety

I have completely out of control bedtime anxiety. I start getting nervous right after dinner and it gets worse and worse. I don't take any meds regularly (though I have klonopin for when I freak out) and I just try to deal with it. I am often awake an hour or two after we go to sleep just thinking. My brain won't seem to stop working. I used to only have panic attacks at night and also lived in some very frightening situations so I never really felt safe. It is getting better but I am still very afraid of going to sleep -- I had insomnia for a long time, it comes back every so often and will stick around for a week or two and then go away. I don't think I will ever sleep well in my life again but I decided that I think my life right now is just really stressful and am trying to make a clean break (move away, start over, etc) so we will see if my nerves relax once I get out of this place.

Anyway I know how you feel. I am terrified of sleeping, of everyone around me sleeping...which is really unfortunate because I used to love night time and darkness and such. Now it just makes me anxious. I feel like I can't live up to the expectations (ie, going to sleep). Sounds stupid but that's how I feel.

Closed Thread