It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Effexor xr for anxiety

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-10-2009, 06:19 PM   #1
    trueblu
    (female)

trueblu HB User
    Effexor xr for anxiety

Hi , this is my first post. I found this discussion board and would like to find out if anyone is taking effexor xr for anxiety disorder. If so, how does it work for you? I have been prescribed 37.5 twice daily for now, but also take 5 mg. of buspar 3 times a day. I haven't taken the effexor until I get some information I need. I have had problems with taking certain medications in the past due to increased heart rhythm. I even had to get a heart catherization because of taking meds that I didn't know was causing the extreme heart rate increase. I want to know if anyone has this problem and has had a bad experience with effexor in this way. I also want to know if it is advisable to take the buspar ,which I take, while taking the effexor xr. I know that both are for anxiety and in somewhat of the same class. Any information will be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2009, 12:00 PM   #2
    imtupp
    (female)

imtupp HB User
    Re: Effexor xr for anxiety

Buspar is anti anxiety
    Effexor is anti depressant
    Buspar is addictive
    Effexor is hard to come off

I have JUST FINALLY come off Effexor after approximately 5 or 6 years on it. The drug did work well for me til about a year ago. It has taken over 6 months with very slow reductions, and yesterday was my last dose of 1/2 of a 37.5 capsule. I hope and pray I can make this time. New meds have replaced the Effexor, so we'll see how things go.

Good luck, and hope I helped.
    tup

Old 03-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

I am like you . I had a side effect of rapid heartbeat taking an older antidepressant, pamelor..so now i am sorta scared to take another antidepressant. I am bothered with heart palpatations as it is. I was wondering about buspar for myself.. Have you noticed any difference with your anxiety since being on buspar... I did hear that buspar works well with an antidepressant.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #4
    trueblu
    (female)

trueblu HB User

Hi, I take 5 mg of buspar a day, and I don't have any side effects from it. It does help somewhat but it depends on the amount of stress I get daily as to how much it helps. My dr. gave me the effexor due to a crisis I am currently going through. It was to help me get through it. I am still worried about taking it because if it causes my heart to beat out of control, I could go to the er or worse! The crisis is bad, but it is not life threatening. It is just something that is out of my control and the fear of the outcome is always there with me. I know people have all kinds of problems and maybe worse than mine, however, this one is really stressful, in that it is almost as bad as dealing with a death in the family, in terms of the amount of stress it is causing. I need someone to talk to badly about it but I don't know where to turn as it is personal . I really need some emotional support. That would help as much as medication.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

I started out with 75mg of effexor, then went to 150. Was on it for around 3 months and it did nothing for my anxiety. it DID help with my OCD though, and kept my anxiety hot flashes at bay.

I stopped cold turkey and was put on buspar 40 MG a day. Also buspar is NOT addictive from what io read. It's not a benzo, yet docs prescribe it in such small doses like it is.

Every psych i read up on says buspar is usually ALWAYS under dosed, so many people get prescribed like 5 mg and wonder why it doesn't help. It should be started at 40-45 mg a day then bumped up to 60 mg.

also i'm 0-4 trying anti-depressants for anxiety. Even after only 3 months of effexor i feel weird now that i'm off it. From everything i read the best type of anti-depressant for anxiety is zoloft and prozac. Cause they also help with a bunch of other disorders.

Most anti-depressants are good for GAD anxiety disorder. There is a big difference between General anxiety disorder and social anxiety as well as agoraphobia, and they need to be treated differently. Most of the people who say anti-depressants have helped them are usually on 2 or more meds at the same time, that and the fact that they haven't had anxiety as long as some of long time anxiety suffers, so they are easily treated.

The only thing that helps me with my social anxiety is alcohol, but i can't drink forever.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:54 PM   #6
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

Also you need to be careful if you do start taking the effexor, cause if you have to increase your dose it's known for raising blood pressure, thus your heart rate will go up, and you say you have had problems with it.

Old 03-12-2009, 04:40 PM   #7
    lonelygurl2
    (female)

lonelygurl2 HB User

I was taking Effexor for my anxiety. Each time it was increased my anxiety would slightly decrease after about 4 weeks. It does take 4 to 6 weeks for you to notice any kind of change. That is also the case with buspar. I take 15mg of buspar 3 times a day. It also takes several weeks to notice a change. Effexor is one of the best anti-depressants for anxiety. You will just have to find the right dose, which unfortunately, is a very long process. Takes many months. Side effects usually wear off in a few weeks.

Closed Thread