It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• ambien and lexapro opinions.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #1
    hhmom81
    (female)

hhmom81 HB User
    ambien and lexapro opinions.

Any thoughts on Ambien and/or Lexapro?? My Dr. just recently prescribed these. I've never heard of Lexapro and I'm a bit uneasy about Ambien, well any sleep med really. I have a 3 year old and if something happens in the middle of the night I want to be able to function.
    Yay? Nay? Good idea? Bad idea?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2009, 02:41 AM   #2
    gobfuse

gobfuse HB User
    Re: ambien and lexapro opinions.

Hi - I do not take Lexapro, but I have taken Ambien nearly every night for a year and a half, and I could not recommend it highly enough. At least for me, it has not affected me like the over-the-counter sleep medicines that have been out for years, which make you feel groggy and drugged out in the morning. If I have had to get up in the middle of the night, all I feel is naturally sleepy and not druggy. Ambien just makes you feel sleepy about 1/2 hour to an hour after you take it. I take 10 mg, and if anything, it relaxes you while it makes you sleepy. I would not worry about being able to function on it - it's just there to make you tired, but it does not go as far as to knock you out, should you have to awaken whenever.

I would highly recommend Ambien - I've had nothing but positive experiences with it and nothing but good sleep.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-13-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Removed unnecessary quote. Ms_Mod

Old 03-13-2009, 03:18 PM   #3
    younggranny
    Veteran
    (female)

younggranny HB User

I have not taken lexapro either but i have taken ambien and have had no problems with it..Like the last post said if you have to wake up during the night you are not real drugged just feel relaxed and ready to go back to sleep. In the morning you feel fine..I only take 5mgs. I have been taking this on and off for many years.

Old 03-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #4
    catheryn
    Veteran
    (female)

catheryn HB User

Some people find the lexapro makes them a bit tired, so you might find the ambien and the lexapro might make you a bit on the tired/sluggish side. My dad took ambien a few times (he's on lexapro) and found he was drug out the next day. Have you discussed with your doctor the possibility of seeing if the lexapro helps you sleep? Sometimes ADs will cause some tiredness which, if you're suffering from insomina or problems sleeping, might not be a bad thing!

Definitely talk to your doctor about your concerns, especially if you're worried about taking either medication. They might not be right for you in the end, but they could work wonderfully. Sometimes finding the right mix of meds (ADs/Anti anxiety meds) can be a process, but once you do find a treatment plan that works for you you'll feel better than you ever have! It's been a process for me, one of which I'm still working on, but I know it'll be worth it in the end. Hang in there and talk to your doctor and also keep us posted on your experiences on both drugs.

Old 03-13-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
    JimB
    (male)

JimB HB User

My p-doc tried me on several insomnia meds, including anti-anxiety and anti-depressants with drowsiness side effects. I'm currently on generic 10mg Ambien, and it works pretty well. I am now able to fall asleep within a half hour and sleep well for 4-6 hours, which is way better than I've been able to do before starting it. Lunesta works OK too, but not as well as Ambien. If I take it early enough, I have no morning side effects. These meds vary quite a bit from patient to patient. Some patients have good results, and they don't work at all for others. Overall though, I think Ambien is pretty effective. One of the more serious side effects is getting up in the middle of the night and having no memory of it the next day.

Old 03-13-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
    LL37
    (female)

LL37 HB UserLL37 HB User

I tried Lexapro recently and I'm ADHD, and I felt like I was hyper awake and on 4 cups of coffee, and I'd all ready had trouble sleeping and was on Ambian for months, and knew it was going to keep me up in a way I wasn't trying to use it. I also felt like i had ben gay all over my chest, arms and legs quickly after trying it, and then they say you can get voices in your head, OH yes, got that on the third day. I quit on the fourth day of Lexapro.

I'm still very on Ambian, and it does knock me out, but only for 4-6 hours most of the time, if I'm anxious I can wake right at about 4 hours, anxiety does affect it's use for me. But I'm living in a household that's more active and am sleeping underneith the kitchen, yes it's LOUD so far. I'm trying to mediate on it, etc...but I've been on Ambian since before i moved in here about 70 days ago. I'm recovering from an auto accident and lost one of my 2 jobs and gave up my private apt. at that time, late Dec. I'm going to potentially try some other things for sleep as I'm not sure if Ambian contributes to dizziness/vertigo during the day for sure or not. I'm going to try to take less and sleep at other friends houses at least 1/2 the week for while and seeing if I can stay off of it 3 or so days a week and if I'm less dizzy.

Old 03-14-2009, 03:08 AM   #7
    hhmom81
    (female)

hhmom81 HB User

Thank you everyone for your replies. I started the Lexapro yesterday and by the end of the day I felt pretty drained. I was tired but still had a hard time getting to sleep. I think I will try it a few days to get it in my system and see if it helps me sleep before I try the Ambien. I would really rather not take a sleep med if I don't have to. Again, thank you for your thoughts. I've never really had to take meds before so this is new to me and I'm just a tad uneasy about it. The most I've ever taken before was cold medicine or something for a head ache LOL!!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
    catheryn
    Veteran
    (female)

catheryn HB User

I don't blame you for not wanting to take sleep meds if you don't have to, but if you absolutely have to, don't feel bad about it! You can't help your anxiety if you can't get some sleep, and having a toddler to look after can be draining mentally and physically. You need a good night's rest more than most, I'd say.

I've always been a great sleeper, but lately, my ADs I'm on have been keeping me awake. I don't mind it so much because I like being able to go to bed late and wake up early and be up all day, but it can be quite distressing when you WANT to sleep, but just can't, so I can imagine what you're going through. You're tackling things the right way: give the lexapro a chance, and if it isn't cutting it in regards to being able to sleep try the ambien and keep us updated!

Last edited by catheryn; 03-14-2009 at 09:07 AM.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:42 AM   #9
    carolyn23
    (female)

carolyn23 HB User

i am supposed to be on lexapro but after 1 tablet i was kind of covered in lack of energy could hardly move so i stopped taking it
    but my depression is worse and my gad is worse
    also it costs me a fortune to get the script processed

Old 03-18-2009, 07:10 AM   #10
    jms66
    (male)

jms66 HB User

I have been on Lexapro for a couple months now and I feel the best I have in 10 years. I have gradually turned back into the funny, goofy, happy guy I used to be even when confronted with obstacles that once plunged me into prolonged periods of depression. I was having difficulty falling asleep and was staying up reading until 2-3 a.m.

I asked the Dr. for something to help me regulate my sleep pattern and he prescribed Ambien. I crashed within days, my mood changed, and my depression was suffocating me by day 4 on the the lexapro/ambien combination. I immediately stopped taking the ambien and within 2-3 days I was recovering and my mood stabilized.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-18-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Removed part of post not in response to the thread starter. Ms_Mod

Old 03-18-2009, 07:15 AM   #11
    jms66
    (male)

jms66 HB User

I had the opposite experience. I knew I suffered from depressive espisodes but also thought I was just tired and started drinking energy drinks and taking ephedrine pills to combat my fatigue which eventually no longer worked. My depression worsened. I started lexapro and suddenly I had new energy and had eliminate any energy drinks because they made me sick on the lexapro. A cup of coffee in the a.m. is all I drink now. Problem was I had too much energy and couldn't sleep at night.

Old 03-19-2009, 10:35 AM   #12
    hhmom81
    (female)

hhmom81 HB User

Well, my husband expressed to me today he doesn't think I need the Lexapro. (He's one of those guys who never goes to the Dr. and feels a lot are out to make money) His response is it's normal to be stressed out. It's hard for me to explain to him why I thought it was a good idea. To him I'm sure he thinks I'm just mean all the time. But I would get so annoyed with the tiniest thing. A lot of times that turned into frustration and anger towards him which I never spoke but seemed to be short with him all the time. I would get so frustrated with my son and yell at him over little things. I just don't want to be that mom that yells at her kid all the time. I would spend most of my day with thoughts running through my head about everything other than what I was doing at that moment. I had a hard time sleeping. I've been taking it about a week now and I've noticed a good bit of change. I'm able to concentrate on the task at hand.. little things don't get to me as bad.. I'm not constantly thinking about "stuff" . Last day or 2 I've been able to fall asleep faster because I'm not thinking so much. I haven't taken the Ambien yet.
    Thank you for hearing me out. I needed a moment to vent. I hope this made sense to someone out there reading this.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-19-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Note edit to your post. If a word is questionable enough that you feel it needs edit then please choose a different word.

Closed Thread