It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anxiety Increase After Eating? ....strange effects

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
    cindylou2
    (female)

cindylou2 HB User
    Question Anxiety Increase After Eating? ....strange effects

Hello!

I 'm a 48 (soon be 49) year old, a female in pretty good health. Have some peri-menopause problems, GERD and about 4 years ago I was diag. with anxiety and panic attacks. I take 1mg Ativan per day and Aciphex for the Gerd.

My anxiety comes and go....some good days, some bad...often I can go weeks without any major anxiety and bam! all of a sudden have an awful attack, may last for 1 hour to 2 days. Its very random and usually no pattern.

But!!! the past few months I have noticed a strange pattern after eatting a full meal.

About 6 weeks ago, after eating a full meal, I started to feel sick to my stomach with a terrible headache. At first I thought, oh geez, food posioning. Soon, I started shaking all over, like I was cold, but was not. I was jerking with tremors, unable to stop. This lasted for about 2 hours or so. It was terrible.

About 3 weeks later, the same very thing happened again! About 2 hours after eating (totally different food than the first time) and the same thing happened all over again...sick to my stomach, headache, shaking uncontrollablely! This time it lasted about 40 - 45 min.

Tonight, same thing....after eatting, this time it lasted for about 1 hour. It is terrible. A total nightmare. I shake, tremor, so sick at my stomach, headache and feel like I am going to jump outta my skin!

I went to see my family Doc after the first event and she said it sounded like a stomach bug, feeling ill / sick triggered my anxiety - which can cause tremors and shaking all over.

But no fever! and it happened again 3 weeks later!

Has anyone heard about foods triggering anxiety attacks? or---a food causing stomach sickness, headache and very BAD shaking all over that you are unable to control?

I am at wits end. Now, I am scared to eat! scared I will react. I am having anxiety about my anxiety!

Anyone with any information, feel free to chime in! Thanks in advice for any help or info you have to share!

Thank you so much!

NOTE!!!! in regards to my meals, none contained sugar, alcohol, chocolate, or caffiene. The 1st time: chicken, potatos and veggies....The 2nd time was: grilled chicken sandwich, small salad with dressing and the 3rd time: Mexican food- beef nachos with cheese. I drank water all 3 times.

Last edited by ms_mod; 03-26-2009 at 05:48 AM. Reason: need to add information

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
    spungy
    (female)

spungy HB User
    Re: Anxiety Increase After Eating? ....strange effects

Get yourself on an SSRI..that would be my advice..Ativan is more for panic attacks.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
    cindylou2
    (female)

cindylou2 HB User

Thanks for your reply. I have panic attacks too. The Ativan seems to help. I just feel confused about the digestive problems and shakes/tremors after eatting. I'm curious if there could be any connection with foods causing those symptoms and triggering anxiety / panic attacks? Thanks again for your reply. A SSRI is something to look into for sure to help with the anxiety.

Old 03-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
    spungy
    (female)

spungy HB User

I forgot to mention...I have had the same thing while eating sometimes.
    So most likey it is just the anxiety.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:26 PM   #5
    cindylou2
    (female)

cindylou2 HB User

I was hoping that it would be related to the anxiety and not another problem to have to deal with. Thank you so much for replying to my post. I spoke to my Doctor again and she feels its all anxiety related too, it comes and goes randomly to be anything long term related like a stomach or allergy disorder. Thanks again!

Closed Thread