It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Anyone prescribed beta-blocker for anxiety?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 03-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #1
    sunolmomof3
    (female)

sunolmomof3 HB User
    Anyone prescribed beta-blocker for anxiety?

I am new to this board and want to say to everyone on here, I can relate. Here is my situation. I have been suffering from anxiety and panic attacks for about 12 years. They have been dormant at times -- sometimes for years but always come back. About 8 months ago I had my third child and my panic attacks have gotten so bad since then and also continuous. I choose not to talk to my husband about it. He grew up with a mom who had severe depression and I am so afraid he will think I'm a basket case too if I talk about it

Long story short, I do fine on Xanax. But my PCP only prescribes a small amount each time. Part of my anxiety is worrying I will run out and need it. I have been in that situation a few times now and it's terrible getting through an attack without any medication. I really need to switch doctors but haven't had time to research it yet.

I also have Mitral Valve Prolapse which is a very common heart condition in women, and it may in fact be the reason why I have panic attacks. My cardiologist confirms this fact. But, he does not think Xanax is helpful in the long run so he doesn't prescribe it. Instead, he recently asked me to start taking a beta-blocker called Toprol XL. That was a month ago-- I got the script filled but I have not taken it yet. Part of my fear is taking new medications and not knowing how they will affect me.

Has anyone had any experience with beta blockers and if so, did they work? I haven't been able to find anything online that is terribly negative about Toprol but I'm still relucant to try it for fear that I will have some horrible reaction to it (it's a vicious cycle of anxiety -- needig the meds for anxiety yet being too afraid to take them, I know!).

If it were as easy as taking this pill once a day, wouldn't everyone with anxiety simply take it? Why would there be reason for Xanax and other drugs of that nature? I keep asking myself this. Maybe I just need to try it and stop worrying but with 3 young children I can't help but freak out at the thought of taking a medication that I've never tried before.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2009, 08:04 AM   #2
    spungy
    (female)

spungy HB User
    Re: Anyone prescribed beta-blocker for anxiety?

Ok first of...take a deep breath!
    I have been on Beta blockers before...they helped with alot of the bad feelings.
    I'm not sure why you are being prescribed Xanax...it is for panic attacks more.
    Do you have panic attacks ..or generalized anxiety?
    I had both...But couldn't handle heavy drugs like like that.
    Have you ever been on an SSRI ?..that may completely get rid of your problem.
    They got rid of both the panic attacks and the anxiety for me.
    I'm here because I thought I could get off them...not yet anyway...just starting my second week again.
    I sympathise so much having to go through this with young children.
    Mine where 3 and 5 when I first started getting anxiety attacks.
    I hope you can find what you need to get through and over this.
    If you just wanna talk....I'm here for ya

Old 03-31-2009, 12:14 PM   #3
    sunolmomof3
    (female)

sunolmomof3 HB User

Thank you so much! It just helps hearing from someone who knows what it's like to go through this. I have anxiety and panic attacks-- the Xanax is for panic attacks but I have taken them at times for anxiety too. If I feel that I may be getting a panic attack I will sometimes take one. For me, anxiety often leads to a panic attack. I'll get that feeling of being unable to sit still, or a racing heart beat, etc.

I don't know much about SSRI drugs... my doctor hasn't ever mentioned it as an option to me. Can I ask if you are still taking the beta blocker? Did you have any negative effects from it? Thanks again for responding. Also, since you mentioned your attacks started after you had children, I really wonder if it's hormonally related sometimes. I didn't have any attacks at all during my pregnancies - quite the opposite, I felt great! I have to wonder if it gets worse after having a baby?

Old 03-31-2009, 04:13 PM   #4
    spungy
    (female)

spungy HB User

Hi again
    Yes The beta Blocker helped me..although I found it caused me to feel more depressed. I am opting not to get them this time because of that.
    The one bad thing about the SSRI s (Selective Seratonin Re-uptake inhibitors ) sorry for the bad spelling..lol
    is they can make anxiety worse for the first week...and that's why I use to get the beta blocker for.I would ask your doctor about SSRIs..I take Celexa (citalopram)
    and It has made all the difference in my life...the only reason I stopped taking them was beacause of the weight gain...which not everyone gets.
    I guess I'm just gonna a have to work out or ride a bike...but I'd rather be a little over weight than feel this bad.
    Yes it could very well be a hormonal thing..I was told at mental health that it would probably fix it'self in time if that was what caused it...either way the meds worked for me..and I was completely against taking them in the begining.
    I figure one week of feeling worse (which can be helped by the beta Blocker)...is well worth being back to myself again.
    If you could get on an SSRI and it works good for you..you most likey wouldn't even need the Xanax anymore.
    I can't wait till mine start working again (they usually take 3 to 6 weeks to get the full effect).
    and I am so sorry you have to go through this with small children...mine are now 11 and 9 and they have some understanding of whats going on..but when they were little I couldn't explain to them why mom was feeling so bad.
    Please do talk to your doctor about the SSRIs ..they could possibly give you your life back.
    Let us know how you are doing
    We all understand how horrible it is to feel like this.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

I'm currently taking popranolol 40 mg twice daily for my blood pressure spikes due to anxiety. I thought it would take care of my excess sweating, blushing, racing heart but it doesn't. Well if i'm at home it helps, but even if i take it before an anxious event it does nothing and my anxiety shines right through it. It works great though for most "seasonal" anxiety sufferers.

It should help with the MVP though for you. Also if you have high BP.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #6
    vital
    (male)

vital HB User

I take Propranolol 10mg for anxiety and it helps a lot with preventing my heart from beating too fast when I get nervous. If my heart rate does not beat too fast, I will not tremble.. if I don't tremble, I don't seem nervous. I don't think Beta Blockers do much difference for your mood like SSRI's do though.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:26 AM   #7
    sunolmomof3
    (female)

sunolmomof3 HB User

Thanks everyone. I started taking the beta blocker yesterday and I do feel alittle better.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:29 AM   #8
    ACE28
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

ACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB UserACE28 HB User

An Excellent beta blocker for anxiety is BETAXOLOL. The brand name is KERLONE. It's a rather unique beta blocker similar to PROPRANOL and has properties closer to METOPROLOL. BETAXOLOL has been researched for many Social related phobias.....

Old 04-23-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
    dlindquist83
    (female)

dlindquist83 HB User

I was prescribed a beta blocker EXACTLY for anxiety because it would make my heart race and I'd get palpatations. My beta blocker is Propranolol. It does slow my heart down and I am sure its helped the anxiety portion a little bit. I was also scared to take it at first but instead of taking the whole pill I took half to begin with. I saw that it actually made me uncomfortable because it was a little much so I split that in half and I take 1/4 now twice a day. If i were you I'd do the same thing that way you can see what it will do to you and only know you have a small dose in you.

Closed Thread