It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Derealization,brain fog, dreamlike,dep ersonalization etc.

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #1
    CANEY GIRL
    (female)

CANEY GIRL HB User
    Question Derealization,brain fog, dreamlike,dep ersonalization etc.

Would anyone mind sharing there symptoms on some of these things. And some of the things that go through your mind when your having them. Thanks

Last edited by CANEY GIRL; 04-01-2009 at 05:45 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2009, 07:01 PM   #2
    catheryn
    Veteran
    (female)

catheryn HB User
    Re: Derealization,brain fog, dreamlike,dep ersonalization etc.

I have these symptoms when I'm unmedicated and under stress. Basically I can't concentrate on anything, my short term memory is shot (like, I'll go from the counter to the fridge and by the time I get to the fridge I'll have forgotten what I went to the fridge for), and I can't put thoughts together and sometimes I can't even put sentences together (I'll be talking and mid sentence I'll just stop because I forgot what I was talking about or I'm just too spaced out/tired to keep talking). I also get a hyper sense of reality as if I'm in some sort of world where I'm hyper aware of my surroundings, and things don't seem "real" to me.

HOpe this is what you were looking for.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
    Lourage
    Inactive
    (male)

Lourage HB User

I usually get it at first when i'm starting a new medication, anti-deppresant. Not from the medicine per- se, but mostly from me thinking and worrying about if it's going to work, or what it's doing to me. I would get the feeling of de-realization mostly after a night of drinking and little sleep. Which of course makes anxiety 10x worse. I can't even describe the feeling i get. Just feeling like i'm not myself, that i jumped out of my body through my eyeballs and i can't figure out how to get back into my body and become myself again. Then tunnel vision takes over and everything around me looks different. I feel like at that point that i know what it's like to go insane. Everything feels slowed down, but at the same time sped up.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
    CANEY GIRL
    (female)

CANEY GIRL HB User

Sometimes I feel like I am living in the past or reliving a feeling of a memory. It is so hard to describe it's like I get stuck and lost in a feeling of deja vu. Kinda like when you smell something from childhood and it takes you back to how you felt at that time , but the feeling stays there. It's just weird and I don't like it. Sometimes I feel like all my life I've been in a dream until now and I'm finally in the real world.(I know it sound crazy) I'm just trying to put it into words. Anyone know what I'm trying to say?

Old 04-04-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
    j2006
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

j2006 HB User

I have been going through this fogginess, feeling like I am in a dream and derealization for about three years. I had recently had a break for a few months and was feeling great and this past week it came back.

What I found helpful is going to therapy specifically CBT and with that I receive hypnotherapy. It really is a visualization practice that has gotten me through the worst of it.

Nothing really specific goes through my thought process - only that i really wish I felt better. I am sick of it already.

I found that SSRIs help dealing with these feelings. Klonopin is my doctor's choice for me and it has worked great.

Get lots of sleep, walk if possible, eat correctly. It has helped a little bit - even a little bit is worth doing all that.

I have been through this so if you need to chat I am here.

Jane

Old 04-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
    catheryn
    Veteran
    (female)

catheryn HB User

Klonopin is a wonder benzo. I wish I had've been put on this a LONG time ago, so I second j2006's comment that it is a great help.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
    hlm928
    (female)

hlm928 HB User

The best way I can describe it is that nothing around me, including myself, seems real. Like everything is made of plastic or something. Even when I am driving sometimes I feel like I am in a video game or something.

I get this at the height of my panic attacks, and can also easily get it just by thinking about it.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #8
    CANEY GIRL
    (female)

CANEY GIRL HB User

Do any of you have sinus or allergy problems?

Old 06-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
    Jarlena
    (female)

Jarlena HB UserJarlena HB User

Dear Caney Girl,

I came across your posts on derealization while doing a search for some of the scary symptoms I have been experiencing and you described it exactly. I have been suffering from this since April 23 after a MAJOR panic attack that came on with my period. I am 40 years old and going through perimenopause. But that month, the week of my period, the world that i once knew slipped away and put me in a nightmarish state which I have never been able to wake up from. Things look unfamiliar, I feel like I want to go home, but I dont know where home is anymore. I also get this strange sense that I'm stuck in a past memory, or more like a feeling of a memory (deja vu). It can be triggered by anything, a shadow on a wall, a smell, the light from the sun, or a cloudy day. I feel like I cant remember my memories, I feel totally detached from the life I once knew. It is a horrible horrible sensation and one that I cannot escape from. I have had moments of reality, very few and in between, so I know that somehow there is a way to "get back" but right now I am stuck in this same place as you are. Can you please tell me more about you, how you are doing and what happened to bring this on? Maybe we can help each other through this? I know I really need a friend who understands. God bless, Jarlena

Old 07-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
    4Panic
    (male)

4Panic HB User

Oh boy, I can totally relate. Depersonalization and Derealization are probably the WORST side effects of anxiety, panic, etc... And if you're like me, those feelings of derealization/depersonalization cause you to panic which makes the anxiety even worse. So it's like they feed off of eachother. It truly is a horrible thing. That being said, it's good to know you're not alone, and also that it is a fairly common symptom with anxiety. The most important thing to remember is that it does stem from anxiety. So if you fix the anxiety, these feelings will go away.

Old 07-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #11
    TEdds83
    Senior Veteran
    (female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have been having this alot lately. I am wondering if it is perimenopause , low hormones or anxiety. It's awful!

Old 07-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
    hollygirl33
    (female)

hollygirl33 HB User

I know this all to much!!!! It is part of anxiety. I must say though I am having a bad time right now with my anxiety issues, I did overcome the brain fog, derealization, I had it for 6 months strait last year. It is awful and many of us who have anxiety suffer with it. My cure was getting on with life and i did physical therapy, for balance issues. I needed to proof to myself that I can continue to function. It took 2 months and 3 days a week of therapy along with at home self therapy that I began to feel better. Even today I posted here for help because I am tired of fighting the anxiety, it made me realize how far I have come. I don't take any meds at all, and make sure to leave my mind clear even if that means suffering with panic attacks and awful feelings. I read self help books came on this site and made it my priority to get well. There is a cure for this,I know because I am cured. Stay strong get help talk to others and try to remember you can get better. CBT therapy may help you. Please let me know if I can be of any help to you. I am here.

Closed Thread