It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• when to stop taking prozac?

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-05-2009, 10:03 PM   #1
    calidreaming
    Veteran
    (female)

calidreaming HB User
    when to stop taking prozac?

I've been taking prozac 20mg for about a year now. About four months ago I cut that in half in the hopes of weaning off of it. I have been taking 20mg every two days and I seem to be doing fine. I haven't had a panic attack or similar situation probably since June.

Would it be safe to say that I can probably come off of the prozac completely? Or do I need to further lower my dose? Is that even possible?

I feel pretty stable in my life right now, and am confident that I can get off of it. I do have lorazepam incase the need arises!

Any suggestions?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
    spungy
    (female)

spungy HB User
    Re: when to stop taking prozac?

Every body is different..it may be the right time for you.
    Tapering is always the best way...although everyone has their own time in which they need to do it.
    Try breaking your pill in half and taking that every 2 days...give it time..and if you still feel good...you should be able to stop them.

Last edited by spungy; 04-06-2009 at 10:23 AM.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:08 PM   #3
    calidreaming
    Veteran
    (female)

calidreaming HB User

I cant break the pill in half, its a capsule.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
    spungy
    (female)

spungy HB User

Well thats to bad...
    You could ask your doctor about a smaller dose..not sure how low it goes with Prozac.
    If not..I guess just give it go...it can't hurt to try..well it won't kill you anyway.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:17 PM   #5
    friendsville
    Senior Veteran
    (male)

friendsville HB User

I took Prozac for many years,and decided on my own to STOP taking it.A year later,I had a breakdown from taking one pill that gave me double vision,and crazy things to my vision when I would look in the 'Yellow Pages" for help.My family Dr. told me that I never should have stopped taking Prozac,and he felt that I would not have had the near complete breakdown.I now take Paxil (CR only),and did get my anxiety taken care of by taking the generic Lorazapam.I will take Paxil until
    told otherwise. Bill

Old 04-10-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
    armyofone0508
    (female)

armyofone0508 HB User

defininantly tapering. i took it only for two weeks, but weirdly enough i'd get headaches if i didn't take it. you don't want to shock your system.

Closed Thread