It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Does your anxiety make yo dread things you should look forward to??

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-06-2009, 02:31 AM   #1
    ShazzaUk
    (female)

ShazzaUk HB User
    Does your anxiety make yo dread things you should look forward to??

Hi everyone, i have suffered from anxiety on and off for about 15 years now. I suffer from gastritis which has flared up again and caused my anxiety to return due to worrying all the time bout my health.

My anxiety is all based around my health, feeling ill and dying. I dread things that my family plan that i should look forward to.

We are due to go to Alton towers in may and instead of looking forward to it, i am already worrying about it. And the thoughts are taking over my mind, like what if i feel ill when i am there etc etc.

I was asked to go on a long walk yesterday which i did in the end and enjoyed. But i kept nearly putting it off thinking what iff i feel ill halfway round and get an anxiety attack. I am 38, married with two sons, i hate the fact that this ruins my enjoyment of things with my family

Does anyone else go through this??

I think i am going to go back to my docs this week, i used to take escitalopram but haven't been on it for about 9 months. Think maybe i need to go back on it.

Any comments would be appreciated on this message

Thanks
    ShazzaUK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-06-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
    Taco Bell
    (female)

Taco Bell HB User
    Re: Does your anxiety make yo dread things you should look forward to??

Yes. I recently have experienced some of the worst anxiety i've ever had. Constantly having attacks especially when driving. I think the reason it makes us dread things is because we love those things and it seems so unfair that while other people are happy go lucky, we always worry cause the panic is right there waiting. You would rather just stay in the safe haven you've created for yourself cause at least there you're safe. I've posted a lot on this board today cause til now i just didn't know how bad anxiety could get. I'm trying to deal without meds. So here's some of the things i do. For one when a panic attack starts, I try to realize that as bad as my body feels and even tho it's scary, the doctors have told me my heart and lungs are fine. So whatever it is that is wrong, isn't going to kill me right now. If it is or isn't anxiety, i don't know, but how can i tell a doctor what is really wrong or know whats really bothering me if i let a panic attack give a bunch of other symptoms to go with it. I know i'll be okay even if i feel crappy so i just breathe really slow n shallow even if i feel i need to breathe faster. Hyperventilation (breathing too much) is what causes a lot of the dizziness and light headed feelings and the tingling and shaking and pain in the chest. Try not to let it take over. Then find a way to distract yourself. Sing, walk, find some nearby person to talk to, get out your cell phone, whatever and soon as your mind wanders back to anxiety fight and distract yourself some more. Once you've calmed down, take the time to reallize that those symptoms were not you dying of something your mind made up, but just you worrying too much and then laugh it off, or cry a little and then realize you will be alright. Then relax, realize the only way back to normalville is by getting off this endless road to no where and finding some direction. A hobby, a pet, more friends, and difinitely talk to people on here or any site, cause talking to people who have been there is just great. Some of us should make a board just to talk about some of the issues in our lives. Problems in our lives are what causes the anxiety. The mind tries to overcompensate for the things is has to deal with. Telling a total stranger is best cause the people around you find it hard to understand your changes that the anxiety makes you go through. This is scary for them as well. Sometimes the things that stress us are things we don't want people close to us to know. So who can you tell? You have to talk about it to get it out of the subconcious. When i finally looked back to see what things were bothering me before my major onset, i hadn't initally thought there was anything stressful in my life. I talked to a friend and it started pouring out. I didn't shut up for hours. It was such a surprise that so many things were getting me worked up and i hadn't even paid attention.
    I kind of went off on a tangent here, sorry. Post back.

Last edited by Taco Bell; 04-06-2009 at 09:41 PM.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:45 AM   #3
    ShazzaUk
    (female)

ShazzaUk HB User

Thanks for your response and i know exactly what you mean. These thoughts takeover your mind and you have to just try to think positivly that they wont hurt you. It is just a bunch of unpleasant feelings that will pass as quick as they come.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:00 PM   #4
    sunolmomof3
    (female)

sunolmomof3 HB User

Wow your post really hit home with me! I agree about needing diversion. Also, talking to someone... I am keeping this bottled up inside and I know that is making it worse. I go through my day trying to be Superwoman and everyone really looks up to me, having no idea what's going on inside. People are envious that we have a nice lifestyle, great husband, great kids, great house, etc. They have no idea that everyday I would trade the lifestyle and the house (not the husband and kids of course, LOL) to get rid of this anxiety.

I do notice that when I am busy and have alot going on, my panic attacks are less frequent. I do have a hobby that has turned into a small side business -- when things are slow or I am all alone, I have such increased anxiety. I am going to try picking up the phone and calling someone like you suggested. Gosh it's amazing to hear that so many people are going through this. It does really help just talking to others on this board.

Closed Thread