It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anxiety Message Board

• Klonopin or Ativan

• Post New Thread   Closed Thread
    Old 04-13-2009, 04:02 PM   #1
    lady68
    (female)

lady68 HB User
    Klonopin or Ativan

I've been suffering with anxiety for many years and been taking paxil for it, I'm on a low dose so its not helping much with my anxiety. I don't want to take more due to weight gain. My dr prescribed me Klonopin and Ativan, he left me the choice to decide which one I want to take. My question is which one works better for anxiety and panic attack, Klonopin or Ativan? I know that Ativan gets out of your system much faster than Klonopin. Also which one is more addictive and harder to come off from?

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
    ymoore86
    (female)

ymoore86 HB User
    Re: Klonopin or Ativan

i was also prescribed both.
    never took the klonopin though.
    ive been on the lowest dose of ativan for years. its helped ALOT.
    also a couple years ago i couldnt afford to go to the dr anymore and had to stop taking them and had no problem stopping whatsoever.
    just get on a low dose.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:11 AM   #3
    lady68
    (female)

lady68 HB User

Thank you ymoore. I have started on a low dose of ativan myself. It seems to calm me a little. Its nice to know that you didn't have any problems stopping it.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2009, 10:08 AM   #4
    catheryn
    Veteran
    (female)

catheryn HB User

I've been on both and I have to say klonopin is a million times better than ativan for me. It does stay in your system longer, but what I find is it doesn't pack a huge punch and make you all loopy like ativan can (well it did for me!). Klonopin takes care of my anxiety and I feel NORMAL. I really wish I wasn't a benzo because I'd say screw it to SSRIs and just take the klonopin regularly!

I'll take the klonopin at bedtime, but it doesn't knock me out like ativan does (even on low doses) and I'm not tired the next day like I am on ativan....and I find I don't "crash" on klonopin like I do on ativan...I'm great the entire next day if i take klonopin before bed....with ativan I'm ok when I wake up, but I usually turn into a raging irritated person shortly after.

So, I guess you could say I highly advocate klonopin over ativan!

Last edited by ms_mod; 04-18-2009 at 11:20 AM. Reason: If a word is questionable enough that you must edit, then please choose a different word. Ms_Mod

Closed Thread